Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fairline Parts

Default Re: Fairline Parts

Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post
    J, you do realise that a lot of commonly required parts can be ordered online....

http://www.bateswharfparts.co.uk/pro...gory/fairline/

You can even order steering wheels!

Even the burgees that I had made for Fairline!

As you know there is a BOM (Build of Manufacturer) for each boat built that lists all of parts that went into the build. The factory hold all of these, I'm not sure if Bates have copies.

As for drinks holders, I asked for an "aft cockpit drinks holder in green" and it arrived a few weeks later (made to order by the original supplier). As I've said before, (old) Fairline made the mistake of letting the suppliers own the IPR for some of the parts so FL are sometimes constrained when they want to order parts.

Pete
    Pete
    Can you put these BOM lists for Fairlines on your Fairline Owners Website? I would be keen to have a T40 list.
    Cheers

What parts are you waiting for Ian?
    Got a reply 😉. I'm after a couple of hindges. Currently my excape hatch is open :-(... Still require them green Perspex drinks holders too.

All the best

Ian
    Fairline Targa 43 "Harley"

Shame she didn't reply to my email when I was after some fabric!
    May have been an oversight or an Email problem as I have ordered a ton of parts from HCS and never had a problem. She usually confirms reciept of an enquiry with an day in my experience.
    Perhaps worth sending another Email? Heather used to do the parts for Boats.co.uk so Definatley worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian MacAulay View Post
    Got a reply ��. I'm after a couple of hindges. Currently my excape hatch is open :-(... Still require them green Perspex drinks holders too.

All the best

Ian
    Ian, well that's progress!

Please speak to Kelly at Bates as I'm sure she can do what she can to source the drinks holder.

Quote Originally Posted by bluetooth View Post
    Pete
    Can you put these BOM lists for Fairlines on your Fairline Owners Website? I would be keen to have a T40 list.
    Cheers
    I don't have the BOM's and in any case, all they tell you is the name of the Fairline part that you wish to order. So they might say something like:

Windscreen wiper nozzle 123456 2

The 123456 being the Fairline part number and the 2 being the quantity. They won't tell you who the original manufacturer was. Obviously, when you order a part, providing you can give Bates the boat model and build number, the first thing that they or the factory will do is to check the BOM so that they can source the correct part for you.

Please remember that a lot of the parts are supplied by third parties so Bates / Fairline are always at the mercy of those manufacturers and their lead times may be considerable (months not days in the case of seats and the like).

Pete

It always amazes me when I hear about manufacturers of any kind of complex machinery who ignore the potential spare parts side of their business. Margins are usually so much higher on selling parts than selling the original machinery. I know that boats are mainly a collection of non proprietary parts but as this thread proves, many owners are willing to pay a bit over the odds for a good service and a single point of contact. Not only that but if existing owners are regularly ordering parts from the dealer or manufacturer they build up a relationship which means that when they come to order a new boat, they dont think about going anywhere else

If you think how much time you waste ( well I do !) finding parts

If you could just say 2 engine service kits , gen service kit , set of ac filters, pair of wipers, 3 light fittings , 10 light bulbs and a file gague delivered to mallorca that has real value. No messing about with measurements and part numbers.

Also remember on boats there is a huge common parts bin so much of this would not require daft numbers of bits.

BOM (Build of Manufacturer) for each boat built that lists all of parts that went into the build. The factory hold all of these, I'm not sure if Bates have copies.
    BOM = bill of materials.

Quote Originally Posted by magichands View Post
    May have been an oversight or an Email problem as I have ordered a ton of parts from HCS and never had a problem. She usually confirms reciept of an enquiry with an day in my experience.
    Perhaps worth sending another Email? Heather used to do the parts for Boats.co.uk so Definatley worth a try.
    For your info, Bates Wharf tell me that Heather (HCS) gets parts from them (I have no idea what proportion). Heather isn't an official dealer so cannot order direct from Fairline.

Sadly, everyone (Heather, Bates, Fairline) is to some extent at the mercy of the original suppliers and occasional delays can be experienced for older boats (like mine). I'm told that for newer boats (c. 2010 and newer), availability of parts is much better.

My advice, is to order in good time to avoid disappointment.

Incidentally, I was told that the wait for engines is horrendous, 8 months or so, so prey you don't need one of those!

Pete

For your info, Bates Wharf tell me that Heather (HCS) gets parts from them (I have no idea what proportion). Heather isn't an official dealer so cannot order direct from Fairline.

Sadly, everyone (Heather, Bates, Fairline) is to some extent at the mercy of the original suppliers and occasional delays can be experienced for older boats (like mine). I'm told that for newer boats (c. 2010 and newer), availability of parts is much better.

My advice, is to order in good time to avoid disappointment.

Incidentally, I was told that the wait for engines is horrendous, 8 months or so, so prey you don't need one of those!

Pete
    Pete,

Which is why the manufacture ( in this case Fairline) is the source of last resort.

You call Bates, Bates call Fairline, Fairline Call the manufacturer, Manufacturer send to Fairline, Fairline send to Bates, Bates send to punter ..!

The only party adding value is fairline as they know what the part actually is ... but dont really see parts supply as their business ( as far as i can see).

For most parts the likes of boats.co.uk will know where the original came from. For much of this is it obvious - i replaced a fan yesterday - it has an EC Smith logo and part number.

There will be some bits where the origin is not that clear - Exhausts for example don't all come from Halyard - only bits of it.

Finally if it has a fairline logo on it. The man who makes the illuminated Fairline logos ( very nice) i met at the Palma Boat show. Great I will have one of those - cant sell it to you ( which I understand as it is a fairline logo part).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12