Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Roller Furler getting a bit tight??

Quote Originally Posted by Donside View Post
    I'd been told not to grease the bearings as they were stainless and greasing the balls meant they would collect crud which would help grind them down.??
    Better to have them washed regularly with fresh water. A difficult thing on the west coast of Scotland.
    Grease on the bottom end can hold water in, causing it to freeze solid in cold weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
    Grease on the bottom end can hold water in, causing it to freeze solid in cold weather.
    Ah, rinse with low freezing-point gin, then...

Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Donside View Post
    I'd been told not to grease the bearings as they were stainless and greasing the balls meant they would collect crud which would help grind them down.??
    That's my understanding as well

Better to have them washed regularly with fresh water. A difficult thing on the west coast of Scotland.
    Having spent many a raincoated holiday in the area as a child, that made me smile.
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Quote Originally Posted by mdonnelly View Post
    Oh! Just got a quote to have Furlex installed as I thought it was one of the better products. Now Iím confused!!
    Previous boat had Harken, this one has Furlex, never had a problem with either.
    If you do the regular, very basic maintenance, both will serve you for a very long time. Rinse the bearings with plenty of fresh water at every opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by westhinder View Post
    Previous boat had Harken, this one has Furlex, never had a problem with either.
    If you do the regular, very basic maintenance, both will serve you for a very long time. Rinse the bearings with plenty of fresh water at every opportunity.
    Thanks for the advice. Have gone and ordered the Furlex. It’s certainly not cheap!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234