Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Mercruiser v8 tale of woe - advice needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikehp0 View Post
    Thank you.. but the bit I was struggling to understand was why Paul was casting aspersions on another marine engineering business. We've never dealt with that business - the guy that rebuilt Mark's engine is in Devon and seems to have done a pretty competent job on the mechanical elements of the job. Tom of Tompa Marine (as kindly recommended in posts above) emailed a reply within minutes and has been very positive and helpful.
    Aha sorry, your post read like you couldn't understand his typing. No probs. I obvs can't speak for Paul, but I think he's talking about the original supply of the reconditioned engine, not the subsequent rebuild in Devon.

You could ask Mike Bellamy at Lancing Marine what he could suggest as a bench mark

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy_the_builder View Post
    Aha sorry, your post read like you couldn't understand his typing. No probs. I obvs can't speak for Paul, but I think he's talking about the original supply of the reconditioned engine, not the subsequent rebuild in Devon.
    The young guy that supplied the supposedly reconditioned engine then ran off with Mark's money and ECU was a Poole based "one man and van" business. I won't name him because he was a nice, competent guy who, according to rumours we have heard but can't substantiate, has gone off the rails due to the kind of "personal health problems" that can enter the body via the nostrils. If he sorts all of that out, I wouldn't want to ruin his future career - I don't think he's trading and therefore messing anyone else around at present because his website has gone offline.

Incidentally, two other people in the marine engineering trade that I know well recommended Chera Marine. I emailed them late last night and I had an excellent chat with the main guy there when he called me earlier today. He is very knowledgeable but sadly, he can't help - he only supplies reconditioned short or long engines rather than the ECU and sundry electronic parts that we probably need.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy_the_builder View Post
    Thanks jimmy indeed I am .

I’ll keep out this one from now on as I know nothing after 30 years in the trade .

Quote Originally Posted by volvopaul View Post
    Thanks jimmy indeed I am .

I’ll keep out this one from now on as I know nothing after 30 years in the trade .
    Paul, the original poster didn't source an engine from Chera (at least to his knowledge), hence he didn't understand your response. I don't think he's dismissed your comments.

Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post
    Paul, the original poster didn't source an engine from Chera (at least to his knowledge), hence he didn't understand your response. I don't think he's dismissed your comments.
    Thanks pete , no worries here , hope SC going well .

Quote Originally Posted by volvopaul View Post
    Thanks pete , no worries here , hope SC going well .
    Very good thanks. Got withdrawal symptoms as haven't seen the boat for 6 weeks. Only another 6 to go before the season kicks off again .

Jeez, this is a nightmare. Few comments from me below, but my best advice is to ask the yanks on iboats forum. They are superb with these engines.
    Ok, so I’ve had loads of the gm v engines and what I can say is that if this is a Merc engine and a 5.0, you need the right ecu to match. Anything other has the fueling totally wrong.
    The green paint would suggest it’s neither a VP or a Merc engine but both are based on the very common GM auto engine and 99% the same. If it’s a auto based engine you should get it to work with the right ecu. Have you looked down near the starter for a serial number ?
    Converting to carbs might be an option, but the likely cost you would be as well just getting a used complete engine. Or a crate block engine from the stares.
    Anyway. 100% get on iboats and explain the situation. These guys will at least help you identify it. A guy called All dodge in particular.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12