Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Anyone had dealings with these GRP scrap guys?

I spoke to them. The chap said they disposed of it, as per the pics on the site, then when I said it is dumped in the river he said it was his mistake, they didn't get involved or dispose of it. Maybe they didn't get involved in the end? So once again, I am on the hunt for some reliable grp scrapper. Does anyone have any direct experience of anyone in that line? Seems like a poison chalice indeed.

Lakesailor, late of this site, chopped a grp boat up with a chainsaw, then portioned it out to the skips. Seeme to remember it was a small cruiser, sub 20ft.

I have seen grp boats broken up with a digger, surprising how much timber and metal were taken out leaving not a lot of bulk once a bit of agression was used. the entire fitted into a smallish skip, 25ft boat.

Also if a small boat perhaps advertise as a childs play house.... removed keel and engine will get a few quid in scrap metal...

angle grinder, concrete saw, sabre saw ... will all cut up pretty quickly...
    HR352 for sale, see YBW Boats for Sale.

Quote Originally Posted by solent clown View Post
    I spoke to them. The chap said they disposed of it, as per the pics on the site, then when I said it is dumped in the river he said it was his mistake, they didn't get involved or dispose of it. Maybe they didn't get involved in the end? So once again, I am on the hunt for some reliable grp scrapper. Does anyone have any direct experience of anyone in that line? Seems like a poison chalice indeed.
    I have just (sadly) cut up a 29’ grp yacht. It took me and a mate three days with a recip saw and 4” grinder ( lots of blades and discs) fully kitted out with RPE and disposable suits. We cut it up small enough that ALL the pieces fitted into a 12 yard skip. I have lots of stanchions pullpit pushpit etc if anyone wants? Very sad job but after three years of trying to give her away …tried to upload a photo but unable to get it to work …nobody really wanted to see the demise of another mans dream anyway …did they?

I think Antony Foulkes at Riverside Yard in Bursledon will break a boat properly. Worth a call I expect.
    Corvette Motorboat Association www.corvettemotorboat.wordpress.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12