Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What antifoul are you using this year?

The big test by PBO over 2015 and 16 led me to using Seajet 033 Shogun last year (Hamble). Applied to the letter of the instructions, this was after seven weeks.

Not what you'd call fast. For the rest of the year I jetwashed every few weeks, thus ensuring there's not a lot left to remove in preparation for this year. I'll be using one of the hard racing types, but can't decide which as I've not used one for decades. Any ideas? I'll be jetwashing as often as need be - is that too aggressive or should I be thinking of caressing with a velvet glove?
    Last edited by anoccasionalyachtsman; 02-03-18 at 21:45.

Default Re: What antifoul are you using this year?

Not sure if there is any truth to this but it was mentioned to me that with a hard antifouling you are better off cleaning with an abrasive pad than jet washing.

The reason being that the high pressure water washes the biocide out of the paint matrix making fouling more likely on what is left. A regular wipe down with an abrasive removes the top payer of the paint matrix (which will have depleted it's biocide content) and so exposing AF paint that is still loaded with the nasties that make it work.

This all seems logical to me.

I'm using my final stock of Micron 77 this year for boats based in Portsmouth and on the Hamble but it's no longer available so TBC what I use next winter.

Quote Originally Posted by SailSouth View Post
    Not sure if there is any truth to this but it was mentioned to me that with a hard antifouling you are better off cleaning with an abrasive pad than jet washing.

The reason being that the high pressure water washes the biocide out of the paint matrix making fouling more likely on what is left. A regular wipe down with an abrasive removes the top payer of the paint matrix (which will have depleted it's biocide content) and so exposing AF paint that is still loaded with the nasties that make it work.

This all seems logical to me.

I'm using my final stock of Micron 77 this year for boats based in Portsmouth and on the Hamble but it's no longer available so TBC what I use next winter.
    Power washing also pits the finish
    If I'd wanted to live in a Banana Republic I'd have gone to South America.

The efficacy of different anti-foulings seems to vary hugely from one location to another. I have used Seajet 033 Shogun on a tidal mooring on the East Coast for the last 3 years and it has been pretty good - just one mid-season scrub to remove some slime and a green beard around the waterline. We do get a lot of barnacles on the bits which touch the bottom on low springs.

I have also heard that jet-washing anti-fouling reduces it effectiveness considerably.

My XOD mate says he swims round his boat with a long brush, energetically scrubbing and splashing and making a lot of noise in the process.

It may not shift much fouling but it seriously messes with his fellow-competitors' confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by SailSouth View Post

I suspected as much. It's not too much of a hardship work-wise, but can't take the mickey by tying up the hoist for too long. What I will do is check with the manufacturer (once decided) and report back.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBz View Post
    The efficacy of different anti-foulings seems to vary hugely from one location to another. I have used Seajet 033 Shogun on a tidal mooring on the East Coast for the last 3 years and it has been pretty good - just one mid-season scrub to remove some slime and a green beard around the waterline. We do get a lot of barnacles on the bits which touch the bottom on low springs.
    This is the PBO test from 2016 which I based my last year's choice on, and they made a very good effort to compare regions. The boat's on a river pontoon not far from the mouth of the Hamble, so a lot of tide, but a fair amount of sun too.

I emailed International asking the question. Looks like I'll be giving it a try.

int.jpg

Same as the one I applied in 2010 - Coppercoat.

Quote Originally Posted by dancrane View Post
    My XOD mate says he swims round his boat with a long brush, energetically scrubbing and splashing and making a lot of noise in the process.

It may not shift much fouling but it seriously messes with his fellow-competitors' confidence.
    Thats like the old trick of throwing one or two circlips onto their deck when they arent looking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast