Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: soot measurement in exhaust gas

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    Careful there! Now that BA is in Itamas own territories, you might find yourself shopping for one next...

PS: on a more serious note, looking at the numbers you posted I would think that either up to 1000 or anywhere between 1800 and 2000 rpm seem the best ranges for BA.
    The 1100 and 1300 numbers suggest that the engines struggle a bit at those rpm, for a small gain in return.
    You want a know something, after spending a summer on Amalfi coast, I fell in love with these big nice machines from Itama 😎
    But not with their pilots I have to admid 😡

Re the numbers I posted are averaged, and not as obvious in real live, ( all rounded at 1kn, no 0,5kn) moreover, much influenced by weight of the boat (water fuel) and sea and hull state as you know, but yes your observation is correct, and can be considered “obvious” i think

Quote Originally Posted by BartW View Post
    You want a know something, after spending a summer on Amalfi coast, I fell in love with these big nice machines from Itama ��
    But not with their pilots I have to admid ��
    Great stuff Bart
    Maybe one day down size into a early 70 or 60 , the 54/56;s are nippy .
    MANs are great engines for long term ownership no drought about that .
    To be fair like all P boats it Ok imho to do D as long as there is some planned P -1800 rpm in there every few or ideally every day or better every few hrs in a day to blow away the soot .
    Or just bite the bullet re fuel and plan the trips around shorter engine hrs running which is what we do .
    I some times throttle back to 1600 something to make the journey last longer ,but mostly 1760 / 1820 rpm all day .
    +

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    Actually, as you possibly remember, the Cat 3116 on my old boat were amazingly clean.
    Never really understood why, maybe they got so used to spin at ridiculously low rpm/load that they self-adapted to the situation...!
    But I agree, generally speaking all mechanical engines I came across were smokey, regardless of builder.
    MAN, Cat, VP, MTU... You name it.
    Oops, missed this earlier, sorry.

Yep, I do remember that and was actually thinking of the conversation we had while I was typing, but went on and used the admittedly misleading expression regardless. The gist of it was that I'd be surprised and I was .
    Last edited by scubaman; 20-02-18 at 20:54.

Bart, check out this ebay seller, i installed egt displays & sensors from them. Very pleased.

"mainline0_1"

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Exhaust-Gas...81?_mwBanner=1

Quote Originally Posted by Forty_Two View Post
    Bart, check out this ebay seller, i installed egt displays & sensors from them. Very pleased.

"mainline0_1"

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Exhaust-Gas...81?_mwBanner=1
    thanks a lot FT, I just ordered 4 pieces, with the blue LED display

and with a special note to Portofino

next week when on the boat, will start installing the EGT gauges,

just to be shure,
    the position to install them is to use that nut here in the EG elbow, right behind the turbo ?

take out the nut,
    drill a hole,
    and weld a female 1/8 NPT nut on top

for taking out that big old nut (very rusty and hard to get out)
    should I worry that I damage something, or particles might fall in to the turbo ?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234