Default Shipping time from USA to UK

My friend has bought a pontoon boat in Florida and is having it shipped to the UK where he lives. Most of the shipping companies are asking for the date it is to be picked up before they will give a quote but we cannot give a specific date as we do not know how long it takes to ship over.

Can anyone give me an idea of how long it takes from Florida to UK once the shipping company have collected the boat and any good recommendations for carriers.

Thank you

Default Re: Shipping time from USA to UK

I brought a pogo2 from florida to southampton. it went via holland I think and changed ships. Not long.

Peters and May. Were very helpful and good.

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn Crook View Post
    My friend has bought a pontoon boat in Florida and is having it shipped to the UK where he lives. Most of the shipping companies are asking for the date it is to be picked up before they will give a quote but we cannot give a specific date as we do not know how long it takes to ship over.

Can anyone give me an idea of how long it takes from Florida to UK once the shipping company have collected the boat and any good recommendations for carriers.

Thank you

Peters & May are the market leaders : https://www.petersandmay.com/

No connection etc.

Thank you
    Actual shipping time measured in days rather than weeks. The reason they can't tell you in advance is because they don't know what is available for casual cargo until it is ready and packed. Then they will look for the most convenient and low cost ship. Remember most shipping is now using containers so deck cargo like yours has to take what space is available.

Most of the shipping companies are asking for the date it is to be picked up before they will give a quote but we cannot give a specific date as we do not know how long it takes to ship over.
    I'm afraid I don't really understand that sentence. What do you mean by picked up? Is that not when they collect the boat in Florida?

Quote Originally Posted by lpdsn View Post
    I'm afraid I don't really understand that sentence. What do you mean by picked up? Is that not when they collect the boat in Florida?
    Yes, sorry, I mean from the time the boat is in their possession in Florida

Yes, sorry, I mean from the time the boat is in their possession in Florida
    So you give them a date when the pick up the boat in Florida and they give you an estimate when it will arrive in the UK?

Or do they want you to specify urgency in some way?

Maybe best to phone them to get an estimate so you can clarify what they want rather than trying to deal with a website that is unclear.

Once you give them a date your friends pontoon boat can be loaded i.e. It's been built and there is a firm date for acquisition by your friend ready for cargo manager to load they will be able to give you a price for shipping in the bigger boat they use . Think of their cargo ship as a big box . You might get lucky as they have space to fill up in their box boat so rates maybe be more competitive as putting the pontoon boat on board is filling box space that would otherwise be unused. Clearly the rates depends on number of box boats in the market for route in question hence why boats in out of the way places can become challenging to move unless the carrier is doing you a favour e.g. I believe Peters shipped Maiden back from a somewhat out of way place . Once you give a date for collection they can look at which ships have space and calling in to collection point so the time taken depends on route box boat might take I guess but they should be able to give an indicative timing based on past performance