Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Bricks & mortar: Italy. Me & boat: Aegean

Default Re: Generator question

Quote Originally Posted by PCUK View Post
    That looks ideal and the price on their website is a lot better than Ebay. I'm tempted!
    Whatever its other merits or demerits, I'd want to be sure that its voltage regulation suits whatever batteries you have or may have in the future. As I'm sure you're aware, a 240V gennie is more versatile and probably more future-proof (always assuming it lasts long enough )
    All epigrams are false

Suitcase generators - beware cheap LTS chinese imports- cheap for a reason.
    No further comment as legal negotiations taking place.

I have a little Clarke genny for sale in the for sale section, fully serviced with battery charging terminals if your interested?

Shoreham - up the river without a paddle.

Aren't a lot of modern gennies inverter types? This would imply that their initial output is low voltage. Maybe 12V?

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    The Honda EU10i is fine for charging batteries through a mains charger. It's also the smallest, lightest and quietest portable gennie ..... but not the cheapest.

I have an EU20i but unless you have a very large battery bank and want to heat water using an immersion heater it's probably overkill.

Richard
    I have the Honda EU10i & it just about manages my 40A mains charger. It has a DC output of 8A. I was tempted to get the EU20i so I could run my 800w Microwave (1 Kw generator is insufficient) but decided against due to size & weight on my 9m yacht. Don't laugh about the microwave, I had it built in from new & it's served me well in France, Spain & Portugal where its most common to have mains supply at no extra charge.

These are a good little genny for the money, very small and lightweight, and quiet too. They do however die if you drop them in the water... Don't ask
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/impax-im8...FU1xGwodissOeA

Quote Originally Posted by anniebray View Post
    I have the Honda EU10i & it just about manages my 40A mains charger. It has a DC output of 8A. I was tempted to get the EU20i so I could run my 800w Microwave (1 Kw generator is insufficient) but decided against due to size & weight on my 9m yacht. Don't laugh about the microwave, I had it built in from new & it's served me well in France, Spain & Portugal where its most common to have mains supply at no extra charge.
    I certainly won't be laughing because I'll admit that I've occasionally timed the running of my EU20i to first charge the batteries, then heat both water tanks, then finish off by heating a bowl of soup in the microwave. I can then eat the soup, have a shower, and turn on the lights as, by then, night is falling.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by PCUK View Post
    That looks ideal and the price on their website is a lot better than Ebay. I'm tempted!
    A lot of money for something which could be built for 100 or less with an old lawnmower engine + scrapyard alternator.

Now I'm undecided again!
    Brexit: Taking back our freedom as a sovereign nation.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamM376 View Post
    A lot of money for something which could be built for 100 or less with an old lawnmower engine + scrapyard alternator.
    that is what we did, old diesel cement mixer engine and an alternator, works a treat. Engine charges its own battery too!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12