Default Bonding the rudder.

The aluminium rudder stock on the boat is made by Jefa. There is some pitting on the area in contact with the lower bearing I believe due to some galvanic corrosion. To try and reduce or stop this pitting could I fit a zinc anode onto the hull electrically bonded to the steering quadrant. Has anyone done this and was the result a success in stopping the corrosion.

Default Re: Bonding the rudder.

Have you seen this
    http://www.jefa.com/install/electro.htm
    try contacting Jefa

Jefa don't recommend this as they would rather sell you a new rudder.

The less noble metal (zinc) will corrode/erode first the only problem being is if anode falls off or corrosion is severe. That’s the theory
    I am trying to find out if anyone has tried bonding the aluminium rudder stock to reduce pitting did it have any effect.

Those pictures above from Jefa are quite frightening.
    Our Finngulf had Jefa steering, they warned that there was a risk to the ss steel in the rudder arising from the autopilot which they claimed should be electrically isolated, I contacted Raymarine to ask if my ram was, they avoided a direct answer by advisingimp that they did not accept that there was a risk, the suggestion was that Jefa who make their pilot drives isolated and use it as a selling point were trying to steal a march on them. The ram was connected to the rudder steering arm using an bolted on alloy extension, I made a replica from tufnol, problem (if there ever was one?) solved.
    I had some direct contact with Jefa and with Raymarine, I thought that Jefa's technical advice was more convincing than the limited amount of information it was possible to extract from Raymarine.
    I certainly do not accept that Jefa would be putting lives at risk to sell rudders. Perhaps a conversation directly with them might be better than any advice you get here?

I have e-mailed directly to one of the customer service advisors at Jefa in Denmark. They are saying not to bond as the aluminium will not suffer from galvanic corrosion. However the rudder has pitted at in the area of the bearing the remainder of the stock is in good condition. It would appear nobody likes to commit themselves to any kind of answer that says serviceable or will be OK it’s rather have it replaced that way we are all protected.

Quote Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete View Post
    I have e-mailed directly to one of the customer service advisors at Jefa in Denmark. They are saying not to bond as the aluminium will not suffer from galvanic corrosion. However the rudder has pitted at in the area of the bearing the remainder of the stock is in good condition. It would appear nobody likes to commit themselves to any kind of answer that says serviceable or will be OK it’s rather have it replaced that way we are all protected.
    We have an aluminium stock rudder and have a small amount of pitting at the waterline. I would like to fit an anode but there's nowhere for it.
    If I'd wanted to live in a Banana Republic I'd have gone to South America.

Quote Originally Posted by Quandary View Post
    Those pictures above from Jefa are quite frightening.
    Our Finngulf had Jefa steering, they warned that there was a risk to the ss steel in the rudder arising from the autopilot which they claimed should be electrically isolated, I contacted Raymarine to ask if my ram was, they avoided a direct answer by advisingimp that they did not accept that there was a risk, the suggestion was that Jefa who make their pilot drives isolated and use it as a selling point were trying to steal a march on them. The ram was connected to the rudder steering arm using an bolted on alloy extension, I made a replica from tufnol, problem (if there ever was one?) solved.
    I had some direct contact with Jefa and with Raymarine, I thought that Jefa's technical advice was more convincing than the limited amount of information it was possible to extract from Raymarine.
    I certainly do not accept that Jefa would be putting lives at risk to sell rudders. Perhaps a conversation directly with them might be better than any advice you get here?
    I have a Jefa linear drive. It is electrically isolated, using a Delrin bush in the rose joint at the rudder arm connection.

Quote Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete View Post
    Have you noticed Jefa's advice about not getting copper-based antifoul anywhere near the exposed rudder stock?