Default Diesel heater exhaust

Going to fit a 4kw planar to the boat and the only place I can have it is in a locker in the wheelhouse (motor sailer) so the exhaust skin fitting will have to go as high on the side of the wheelhouse as I can get it (above heater night) with hopefully a bit of a swan neck then looping down under the heater.
    There isn't an ideal spot that won't see any spray while sailing so the exhaust instal will always be a compromise, may make a bung and be careful to remember to take it out and put it in or toyed with the the idea of a clamshell over the exhaust but that's likely to restrict flow and create a nice hot metal object protuding from the wheelhouse instead of a flush one.
    Anyone got any ideas of how to go about this? Has anyone tried these exhaust drains and do they work or will it just leak exhaust fumes into the locker and into the wheelhouse? Can knock one up easy enough if they are any use
    http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...obalID=EBAY-GB

Default Re: Diesel heater exhaust

Have a chat with Owen Cox.
    I was going to fit a planar in a forward position on my boat which meant there was a high risk of water ingress into the exhaust.
    Owen could supply a ball valve with the kit that could be fitted into the exhaust and closed when the heater wasn't in use.
    He did say that if I forgot to open the valve, it would just smoke then shutdown but wouldn't cause any damage to the heater, so might be worth enquiring about that?
    I still haven't got around to doing it, but it's still on the jobs list!

I used to have a bung in the end of the exhaust, and then fitted a full insulated exhaust with the drain you show. However this is really only designed for condensation from the exhaust, and not for full water ingress. I don’t think it would cope with any significant quantity of water.

I use an expanding transom bung to stop ingress ... something like one of these.

http://www.rib-shop.com/expanding-drain-bung/

Don't think a ball valve would work due to the location it means climbing into a locker, going to try weld up a solid swan neck as il get tighter bends and more of a vertical section with a drain and a bung for when it gets wild

The condensate can be messy and corrosive.
    Maybe in a motorsailer wheelhouse, there would be potential for routing the condensate through some tubing so it cools before it drains somewhere out of the way?
    If you have a proper condensate drain, you could worry less about the exhaust gases cooling than in a normal marine installation?
    Maybe route it high up with a flap over the top like an old truck exhaust?

Quote Originally Posted by seaangler23 View Post
    Has anyone tried these exhaust drains and do they work or will it just leak exhaust fumes into the locker and into the wheelhouse? Can knock one up easy enough if they are any use
    http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...obalID=EBAY-GB
    If the exhaust pipe is properly lagged, condensation won't be a problem and you won't need a drain. Similarly, if you have a decent swan-neck above the exhaust outlet, spray won't get into the pipe either.