Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Crew seeking sites ?

Quote Originally Posted by JBJag27 View Post
    What would crew cost?
    Why would you need to have paid crew on a 40 ft yacht?
    never confuse education with intelligence
    Sailing the Aegean

Quote Originally Posted by rtboss1 View Post
    Why would you need to have paid crew on a 40 ft yacht?
    The OP wants crew.

Quote Originally Posted by JBJag27 View Post
    The OP wants crew.
    I thought you may have been answering my post 9 not the op. I can understand the need for crew for a crossing, although most want the miles and experience .
    Sailing the Aegean

I thought you may have been answering my post 9 not the op. I can understand the need for crew for a crossing, although most want the miles and experience .
    I was, it just seemed an odd rant in the context of the thread.

I was just pointing out that crew also have a value - if you want crew. If you don't, then why would it bother you that people are asking if anyone does?

I sail in an area, that if you wanted to charter a 40ft + boat you are looking at between €2500-3500 pw. or around 600 shared cabin. Why do people on Crewseeker/ Crewbay think they can come for free?
    Anyone who pays €600 pw to share a cabin with a stranger with no training outcome needs to consider the economics of sailing.

Because they can't go where they want, when they want but they do offer company and assistance in sailing the boat. I use Crewseeker crew on my boat, I offer my services unpaid as crew on other boats and I'm paid to skipper other boats. It varies with what suits me and whether it's an Oyster 82 or a Westerly Centaur. The free market in action.
    Last edited by Quiddle; 18-04-18 at 13:55.

Quote Originally Posted by Budgieboy View Post
    Hi

Looking for 2 crew from Grenada to ABC's in late May early June , would anyone recommend any crew seeking sites , never had to find crew before other than a short run and would appreciate a point in the right direction 👍
    Crew finding is a service we offer. Please do get in touch if we can help at all?

Pete
    International Yacht Delivery.

http://www.halcyonyachts.com/

I'm quite experienced and qualified; if I crewed for someone the very least I'd expect is free board and lodging and help with air fares - if you want apprentice cabin boy grade staff to pay for the joy of being with you, you don't need crew, you need an autohelm !

May I refer you to a certain RT McMullen - see the book ' Down Channel '; he was a Victorian yachtsman, a pioneer of the hobby - in those days boats were big heavy affairs with big gaff rigs, essentially souped up fishing boats - he had two paid crew who lived in the forepeak.

After crossing the Channel he didn't like their attitude, so sacked them and sailed back singlehanded; general opinion was this was impossible for one gentleman on his own...
    Last edited by Seajet; 20-04-18 at 09:04.
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

From Crewseeker web page. so not a rant just an observation.

Often the skipper or owner does not need any additional crew to sail their boat and they are inviting crew aboard to make the experience more fun and socially rewarding. This allows them to offset some of their cruising costs and have help running watches and hopefully have some pleasant company. As crew you are unlikely to be ‘working’ very hard and will be sailing aboard someone else’s boat for a fraction of the actual or commercial cost. Although of course there will be cases where the crew can reasonably expect to be paid for their services – such as a commercial delivery requiring suitably qualified sea staff, or a chartered vessel looking for crew to assist in the safety and welfare of the guests, for instance.

I can understand having to pay someone to join you if you own a small or manky old boat in a poor cold location.
    I was talking about people wanting to come for free in popular warm location on a quality boat.
    where there is little or no work to be done other than steering and throwing a line.
    Something charters do by paying for the vessel ,not free loading.
    Sailing the Aegean

I can understand having to pay someone to join you if you own a small or manky old boat in a poor cold location.
    I was talking about people wanting to come for free in popular warm location on a quality boat.
    where there is little or no work to be done other than steering and throwing a line.
    Something charters do by paying for the vessel ,not free loading.
    Nope, you've lost me. What's the problem?

Have found fantastic crew through Crewseekers. Always met them before the trip if it was a longer one.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast