Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Crew seeking sites ?

Quote Originally Posted by rtboss1 View Post
    From Crewseeker web page. so not a rant just an observation.

Often the skipper or owner does not need any additional crew to sail their boat and they are inviting crew aboard to make the experience more fun and socially rewarding. This allows them to offset some of their cruising costs and have help running watches and hopefully have some pleasant company. As crew you are unlikely to be ‘working’ very hard and will be sailing aboard someone else’s boat for a fraction of the actual or commercial cost. Although of course there will be cases where the crew can reasonably expect to be paid for their services – such as a commercial delivery requiring suitably qualified sea staff, or a chartered vessel looking for crew to assist in the safety and welfare of the guests, for instance.

I can understand having to pay someone to join you if you own a small or manky old boat in a poor cold location.
    I was talking about people wanting to come for free in popular warm location on a quality boat.
    where there is little or no work to be done other than steering and throwing a line.
    Something charters do by paying for the vessel ,not free loading.
    So you don't need CREW, just PAYING PASSENGERS; are you sure you and your boat are qualified for this ?
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

[QUOTE=Seajet;6410189]So you don't need CREW, just PAYING PASSENGERS; are you sure you and your boat are qualified for this ?[/

You are a silly man as usual you know little about what you are talking about.

Each Sailing Opportunity lists the financial arrangement as decided by the skipper/owner. This means how much Crew are expected to pay, if any, towards the cost of being aboard.

Crewseekers sailing opportunities use the following definitions for financial arrangements:

No contribution required = all on board costs are covered are by the yacht owner.
    Shared contribution = all on board costs are shared on basis.
    Working passage = the yacht owner covers all on board costs, but the crew are required to work, ie: more than just watchkeeping.
    Paid position = crew receive payment plus all on board costs covered by yacht owner

Sailing Opportunities listed on Crewseekers should not ask for more than “a reasonable contribution toward the direct daily onboard expenses” and you should not ask Crew for any contribution towards the capital costs of the boat - this would be considered to be a commercial arrangement and different rules would apply. Whilst no exact figure for reasonable contributions is specified in UK legislation, many people think that around 20 per day is not unreasonable, but of course this considerably depending on the exact circumstances. See our feature on Crew Contributions for more information. If you wish to ask Crew to contribute more then you should advertise in our Crewseekers Directory section, although you should be sure that

If you wish to ask Crew to contribute more then you should advertise in our Crewseekers Directory section, although you should be sure that you comply with the relevant codes of practice for commercial vessels and that your insurance covers such commercial use.
    Last edited by rtboss1; 20-04-18 at 20:15.
    never confuse education with intelligence
    Sailing the Aegean

[QUOTE=rtboss1;6410245]
    Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    So you don't need CREW, just PAYING PASSENGERS; are you sure you and your boat are qualified for this ?[/

You are a silly man as usual you know little about what you are talking about.

Each Sailing Opportunity lists the financial arrangement as decided by the skipper/owner. This means how much Crew are expected to pay, if any, towards the cost of being aboard.

Crewseekers sailing opportunities use the following definitions for financial arrangements:

No contribution required = all on board costs are covered are by the yacht owner.
    Shared contribution = all on board costs are shared on basis.
    Working passage = the yacht owner covers all on board costs, but the crew are required to work, ie: more than just watchkeeping.
    Paid position = crew receive payment plus all on board costs covered by yacht owner

Sailing Opportunities listed on Crewseekers should not ask for more than “a reasonable contribution toward the direct daily onboard expenses” and you should not ask Crew for any contribution towards the capital costs of the boat - this would be considered to be a commercial arrangement and different rules would apply. Whilst no exact figure for reasonable contributions is specified in UK legislation, many people think that around 20 per day is not unreasonable, but of course this considerably depending on the exact circumstances. See our feature on Crew Contributions for more information. If you wish to ask Crew to contribute more then you should advertise in our Crewseekers Directory section, although you should be sure that

If you wish to ask Crew to contribute more then you should advertise in our Crewseekers Directory section, although you should be sure that you comply with the relevant codes of practice for commercial vessels and that your insurance covers such commercial use.
    Not sure he does know so little. I'm 'guessing' you are asking 20 euros / day plus sailing costs (fuel & marinas?) for your trip. That seems to me hard to justify on a non-commercial basis unless you are offering gourmet dining, I've never paid more than 20E/day all in on boats up to 18m and ask for half that, albeit on a 10.5m boat.
    It might smart that you have a nice yacht and can't legally get people to pay to use it but that's how it is, and I suspect owners who have forked out to code their boats with the associated costs might feel disgruntled.
    Last edited by Quiddle; 27-04-18 at 12:22.

What an eyeopening thread....

If you don't want "freeloaders" then don't invite them. If however you would like some company and spare hands on the basis that you are footing the bills then there are any number of places to look for such people.
    And if you want people to contribute, then advertise on that basis. But don't be surprised if there are fewer people interested.

What works for some, doesn't work for others.
    You never know, I might be right!

Quote Originally Posted by flaming View Post

If you don't want "freeloaders" then don't invite them. If however you would like some company and spare hands on the basis that you are footing the bills then there are any number of places to look for such people.
    And if you want people to contribute, then advertise on that basis. But don't be surprised if there are fewer people interested.

Pretty much the first sensible reply!

[QUOTE=flaming;6416402]What an eyeopening thread....

The*amount that Crew contributes can be a contentious issue attracting many differing opinions amongst skippers and crew.* There is no absolute answer, and different types of vessels sailing in cruising areas throughout the world will each have a different level of expenditure. * For some, this might be around 20 per person per day, e.g.: this could include a modest lunch and dinner aboard plus fuel costs and a marina for the night.* But for others, perhaps in more remote cruising areas, that might not reasonably cover the daily costs.* For instance, cruising to Galapagos requires a permit that can cost up to $1500 for 60 days.* Dividing this by, say, 3 crew, would add $500pp to the shared contribution.

And from some of the answers it would appear,that those wanting paying for their time on board would make the trip a commercial venture.
    Last edited by rtboss1; 27-04-18 at 20:06.
    Sailing the Aegean

Quote Originally Posted by flaming View Post

The "caisse commune" is a pretty common approach over here. Everybody chips in a round sum amount, constituting a pool out of which all boating/grocery expenses are met. The treasurer from time to time makes "un appel au peuple."

I use Crewseekers to find crew. It works fine for me. With crew assistance I can go further, faster and have more fun than on my own. These days I mainly only sail around the Solent and occasionally further.

I ask for share cost of food. Because on my own I would where-ever possible anchor or swinging mooring, I also ask for contribution to any visiting port marina charges. So crew can get off for shoreside facilities.

Everything else is at my cost, including breakages. I mention this because for example I recently had a crew member lose a rather nice wooden oar that cost 60 to replace. It could have been me that lost it had I been on my own.

Another interesting point being the amount of Airb@b plus Bed on Board, for yacht, around the South coast .Would these be a commercial venture?
    Sailing the Aegean

Quote Originally Posted by rtboss1 View Post
    Another interesting point being the amount of Airb@b plus Bed on Board, for yacht, around the South coast .Would these be a commercial venture?
    MGN 538 says:

"10. Civil Liabilities when Alongside
    10.1Generally, merchant shipping safety legislation does not apply to a vessel alongside; it starts to apply once the vessel leaves the berth. However, health and safety regulations continue to apply on vessels where crew are employed, and there are civil liabilities that may apply, and any use alongside may be subject to agreement with the local authority."

How long till a CO issue occurs on an unregulated BnB boat...?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast