Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Drillhing hole in rudder to fit anode

Thanks for the advice so far, very helpful.

I wasn't too concerned about corrosion until the boat was lifted this year and the rudder appears to be quite pitted, some pics below.

In the marina there are lots of nearby boats connected to shore power so I've invested in a galvanic isolator and am fitting two weld on anodes (on the horizontal plate below the prop) and a rudder disc anode. Since the boat is kept in fresh water, it doesn't get lifted that often, about every 3-4 years so while its out now, I want to fit do whats required.

Here's a pic of the rudder in June-16, I don't know what the blue paint is but the 'broker' that I bought it from was quite 'dodgy' so could be cheap stuff to make it look good on the day.

Really don't think an anode is going to help. That looks just like rust where the coating has failed. Same with an anode on the skeg if that is steel. I explained galvanic action earlier. It mostly affects yellow metals such as propellers when they are in physical contact with other metals such as a stainless shaft. If, however you electrically connect zinc to the yellow metal or the stainless it is attached to the zinc will erode in preference to the zinc in the yellow metal. There is no sign of that on your prop.

So your corrosion on the steel bits is likely just rust. The ultimate prevention is to take the rudder off, blast it and then galvanise before painting. The objective is to keep the water away from the steel.

Me: Johannesburg South Africa Yacht: Durban East Coast Africa

If your boat is kept in freshwater I would grit blast back to bare metal then paint with at least 6 coats of epoxy tar. That's how the underside of my boat was treated.
    Life is too short not to have a sea view
    Distantshaws tinyurl.com/yclt6l68

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12