Default Would you wear a flotation suit and a life jacket together?

I have one if those Fladen flotation suits would the best advice be to wear a life jacket as well?

Default Re: Would you wear a flotation suit and a life jacket together?

When I was doing my sea survival course I took the opportunity to test my Fladen flotation suit. Worked well but prefers to float you face down - not the best of attitudes. The addition of a lifejacket keeps you on your back. That was in a swimming pool, your experience in waves may be different.

I always wear a life jacket with my Fladen and quite honestly see that the real benefit of the suit is that it keeps hyperthermia at bay for a good deal longer should I inadvertently take a swim.

thanks very much awol and oldfellah that info will do me nicely. best wishes
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike k View Post
    thanks very much awol and oldfellah that info will do me nicely. best wishes
    Mike
    Good luck Mike, you will find the Fladen suit is also a great way to keep warm if you are sailing in the winter. A bit bulky but you will never feel the cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike k View Post
    I have one if those Fladen flotation suits would the best advice be to wear a life jacket as well?
    Does it have waterproof feet like a dry suit? If it does then you need life jacket as well or could be floating feet up with air trapped in suit legs.

I have a Cosalt flotation jacket and separate trousers both with 50N buoyancy. The instructions did warn about using them in combination with a lifejacket in case they affected the lifejacket's ability to turn the wearer face up but I still use a lifejacket with them. I don't wear the trousers on their own. I don't want to float upside down.

They also warn about overheating and I have to revert to normal foul weather gear in warm weather.

I love my Fladon suit, but find that it makes me sweat and then feel cool as a result. Does this happen to you, and if not how do you prevent it. Normal winter clothing for me is a thermal top, cotton rugby shirt, acrylic jumper, Fladon suit, plus life jacket.
    Calico Jack

I actually dress very lightly when wearing the suit and at times have worn no more than a sweat shirt and shorts underneath. It can be a problem if you are wearing to much underneath as the material doesn't breath however as I have a one piece suit I find it easy enough to unzip the front if I am getting overheated. The suit is great to keep you warm and as a safety item however will not replaces good breathable waterproofs for general wear imo.