Default The Fleet That Had To Die

Currently on Kindle at 99 pence. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fleet-That-...hat+had+to+die
    I read this book in hardback well over 50 years ago, and am just reading it again. Its the story of the Russian fleet of warships that sailed from the Baltic to their destruction at the battle of Tsu Shima in 1905. Simply getting the fleet there against the monumental incompetence of the Russian admiralty and of most of the fleet's officers plus the mutinous inclinations of many seamen was a major achievement in itself, and the book details the struggles of admiral Rochestevensky just to follow and sometimes disobey admiralty orders.
    Working on immortality - One day at a time.

Default Re: The Fleet That Had To Die

Thanks for that. I have just ordered it. Looks like 0.99 well-spent.

Thanks for sharing especially the link, i just ordered too and it's worth it.

Fake id

Quote Originally Posted by Norman_E View Post
    Currently on Kindle at 99 pence. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fleet-That-...hat+had+to+die
    I read this book in hardback well over 50 years ago, and am just reading it again. Its the story of the Russian fleet of warships that sailed from the Baltic to their destruction at the battle of Tsu Shima in 1905. Simply getting the fleet there against the monumental incompetence of the Russian admiralty and of most of the fleet's officers plus the mutinous inclinations of many seamen was a major achievement in itself, and the book details the struggles of admiral Rochestevensky just to follow and sometimes disobey admiralty orders.
    Was this the mob who perpetrated the North Sea Incident, where a Russian fleet mistook some Hull trawlers for the Imperial Japanese Navy and opened fire on them? Military Intelligence at its finest there
    De'il ding a divot auf yer wame wi a flaughter spade

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Yes. Britain was allied to Japan, and the Russians thought that Japanese torpedo boats were hiding amongst the British fishing fleet. One consequence was that ports in the British Empire were closed to the Russian Fleet, at a time when Britain had all the best ports and naval bases...