Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default best airless paint sprayer

Hi everyone
    I am looking for a best airless paint sprayer for my boat and basic outdoor jobs. My budget is no more than 500$, Can anyone help me suggesting best recommend paint sprayer for me?
    Thanks, best regards
    Last edited by johnhoward; 12-03-18 at 18:03.

Default Re: best airless paint sprayer

You could get a small garage compressor and a DeVilbis gun (or copy) for that money..
    You could blow your tyres up too!
    Is space an issue? The buzzing hand jobs (!) were pretty poor, Google LPHV
    Last edited by NickRobinson; 03-03-18 at 09:59.

As an alternative to airless or high pressure, the Fuji HVLP (high volume low pressure) systems seem to be getting good reviews, one example here - https://www.axminster.co.uk/fuji-sem...-system-501285 - as usual there are YouTube demo videos around.

Wagner do a DIY airless unit, they do pro stuff so should be quite good
    If I'd wanted to live in a Banana Republic I'd have gone to South America.

I've just bought a Wagner Air;ess Sprayer Plus from Screwfix and some larger filters and nozzles from ebay. I plan to spray the antifouling later this month (too old to paint a 36' long keeled steel yacht by hand). The youtube videos of it in use, including antifouling a fin keel yacht & spraying a car, made it look reassuringly easy, with no mess and minimal masking needed.

I expect the AF (semi hard 45% copper) will need to be diluted 10% but the application is so quick that several coats would not be a problem in a weekend. Just need some calm, dry weather.

Quote Originally Posted by NickRobinson View Post
    You could get a small garage compressor and a DeVilbis gun (or copy) for that money..
    You could blow your tyres up too!
    Is space an issue? The buzzing hand jobs (!) were pretty poor, Google LPHV
    The USP of airless spray is that there is considerably less overspray generated, a big advantage when working in a crowded boatyard or outdoors in the average suburban property.

I personally wouldn't bother with trying to spray a boat. You can apply a thicker layer of paint and get as good a job just by using a brush without all the masking up and over spray problems.
    as an example here is a 38 footer painted in epoxy with a brush. http://linnetwoods.com/marinezine/_images/aa_y_k_03.jpg

I'm particularly interested in this thread as I am trying to paint above the waterline of a 43 ft yacht I am building.

The paint is two pot polyurethane. I tried to do a "roll and tip" on my own but that ended up as a disaster. I got my S-I-L to help with a second coat and got a better result but not too good.

I do have a 15m³ compressor but a fellow boatie says I should be using an airless spray gun and you can hire them. I wouldn't consider that as I think I would have to practice for a day or two on my back shed.

Maybe I will have to buy one but I definitely do not want to overcapitalize.

(Gee, I wouldn't want to get caught doing it because it is illegal to spray paint the polyurethane paint in an open area in Australia)

Clive Cooper
    Last edited by coopec; 07-04-18 at 03:03.

Quote Originally Posted by NickRobinson View Post
    Is it any wonder Trump is going off his brain about stealing intellectual property?
    (Sorry I had to get that off my chest)

North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

Quote Originally Posted by coopec View Post
    The paint is two pot polyurethane. I tried to do a "roll and tip" on my own but that ended up as a disaster. I got my S-I-L to help with a second coat and got a better result but not too good.
    A couple re-gelcoated the topsides of a 38 ft Beneteau in our yard in Greece. At the same time they used two-pack PU for the cockpit. Having tried each product on the opposing surface they concluded that this was the optimum way. The gelcoat was applied by roller, one coat per day, any runs or bumps being easily flattened off before applying the next coat. Finally they flatted it with orbital sanding, then polished. Labour intensive method but relatively easy to do. The final results were superb.

Gelcoat in the cockpit area was much more difficult, they found PU paint far easier to control.
    Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast