Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Appropriate Safety Gear

As previously reported we have recently bought a Monterey 258SS bowrider which will be based in Cala D'Or. It will be predominantly used for Bay hopping and sunbathing so I expect to be hugging the coast most of the time. It feels good to be "MedDreaming" again

Prompted by the "Irrational Fear" thread I have been pondering on what the appropriate level of safety gear would be - I know I can't have too much and I currently have lifejackets, horseshoe lifebuoy & line, Handheld waterproof DSC. There is no practical space for a liferaft but what do the esteemed members of the forum think is the right level of safety gear for this type of use, should I get daytime flares, EPIRB etc?

All advice welcome

Thanks

Martyn

Default Re: Appropriate Safety Gear

I also have a 25 foot dayboat in mallorca, and use it the same way you intend. I have the same gear as you, ie life jackets, handheld vhf (and fixed vhf on boat). Plus i also have handheld gps ( waterproof garmin watch in reality) , smoke flares.

Thats it, dont have space for liferaft, but do have inflatable kayak, and inflatable sup, which if push came to shove i could use possibly.

I do sometimes think about getting an epirb/plb but havent bothered so far.

Im never more than 10 miles from land, and never out of sight of it, although i do occaisionally contemplate an ibiza trip (did it in our old sealine s34, but not plucked up courage to do it with a single engine). In reality the furthest i go is to cabrera ( from port adriano).

I think the biggest risk you run with a boat like ours is mechanical failure, so as long you have appropriate spares and tools, and the knowledge to use them, you should be fine.
    Last edited by julians; 06-03-18 at 20:06.

Thanks for the reply, my Handheld DSC has in built GPS so I think Iím covered there. Having flares on board brings its own issues re safe storage and disposal but if I need them and donít have them....

Our last boat was as S34 as well, we were based in Alcudia so never did Ibiza but did Menorca a good few times. Just looking forward to being out on the water again.

I will have tools and spares but carrying out maintenance on a small boat floating without power may be easier said than done so Iíve also made sure I have a suitable tow rope!

I think Cabrera will also be the limit of our open water cruising (and probably in company) - may see you there! O

Cheers

Yeah, lots of rope is essential. Ive been towed home a couple of times over the last 20 years , once in the sealine, once in my old sea ray, never in the windy ( yet- touch wood).

I have had to fix (again nothing in the windy yet) a few mechanical issues out on the water , nothing major, things like an overheat due to stuck thermostat.

Ive also towed others home a few times as well , more often than not because theyve run out of fuel - can you believe it?
    Last edited by julians; 06-03-18 at 20:30.

Would something similar to this help, there seem to be a few brands offering varying degrees of safety / size.

https://www.seasafe.co.uk/shop/ct/ma...rson-life-raft

Google mini liferaft.
    Last edited by rubberduck; 07-03-18 at 06:38.

Decent first aid kit?
    I have a PLB rather than a full fat EPIRB.

+1 on the PLB/EPIRB, I am not a fan of flares - nasty things
    other than a liferaft I think you have it covered. Do you have any sort of inflatable on board - dinghy ?

No dinghy as no practical way of storing it inflated but I may look further at the 2 man liferaft even if there are more of us on board itís something to cling onto!

We have the first aid kit and I will get a PLB, just for the extra level of comfort but not flares, I really donít like the idea of them on board a small petrol engined boat.

Thanks everyone for the advice, hopefully all of it will be a waste of money anyway.

Cheers

Martyn

ďnothing major, things like an overheat due to stuck thermostatĒ

I bought myself a new non marking rubber mallet, that should do it for the tool kit shouldnít it? 😀

Every tool kit needs a hammer.

Howevr it didnt help in the case of the stuck thermostat, i had to drop anchor, un bolt the thermostat housing and remove the stat, then reassemble.

I beleive a stuck stat is quite common on the raw water cooled petrol merc inboards, the local sea ray dealer in mallorca in the early 90s used to remove them before delivery because they were so problematic.

When i boughtmy sea ray in 2006 i figured they must be more reliable now after 16 years, but that wasnt to be the case.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast