Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Has anyone replaced a Raymarine RL70 and overcome cut out shape problems?

I was just trying to find the Price of radomes ( failed!) but did see cactus sell pre made adaptor plates

https://www.cactusnav.com/advanced_s...0jpbj2&x=0&y=0

Default Re: Has anyone replaced a Raymarine RL70 and overcome cut out shape problems?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJ View Post
    Thanks for interest, pics coming up....I hope!

Yes about 10 years ago on an almost identical GRP panel I replaced the old RL70CRC with a larger landscape Garmin. I researched the largest model that would fit flush before the dash edges curved away ensuring the new cut out hole would be larger than the old one. Beware check what is behind before cutting anything to ensure enough clearance for the back of the unit, cooling, and enough space for protruding plug in cables. Looks like you have plenty of space available.
    Ocean Froggie

I replaced my old Raymarine plotter with a new Furuno. As you say new units like this are mostly landscape in shape, whereas the Ray is portrait. I bought a pre cut white 6mm Perspex panel with radiused corners to cover the height of the Ray hole with 8mm overlap top and bottom and width wise to match the new Furuno. Then screwed it down with lots of M4 countersunk screws and sealed it in place. Next the hole for the Furuno was cut. It looks and works fine, though it is not clearly it is not a Rolls Royce solution, you need a new or a re-glassed console if you want that. There is a 40mm band of Perspex visible on the bottom edge. The rest of the Perspex and most of the screws are covered by the new unit. A step up in quality if you have access would be to screw into blind tapped holes from the underside. A lot more work though. Sorry no pics, I wonít be on the boat for a month.

I replaced my old RL70 last year here:

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread...t=#post5983147
    It all started with a rowing boat......

Smart job bubblegtt
    Thanks to all for your contributions. I feel now I have all the information I need to decide
    A) leave alone and solve gps intermittent problem
    B) make a Perspex surround and fit a Axiom 9”
    C) fill the space magnificently with an Axiom 12”
    Cheers
    David

You need to create the appropriate Man Maths equation that results in "option C" being the correct answer.

Mrs V spent a few minutes on an Axiom 12 at the boat show, and was asking why our current system was so clunky by comparison.

Is the GPS receiver integral with the plotter.
    On the Axioms, yes.

I’m also wondering if my depth sender will need replacing
    Depends what you already have. If itís NMEA2000 or SeatalkNG then no, if itís original Seatalk then you need a converter box, otherwise it depends. Of course this assumes you want to display depth on the plotter, if it already has a separate display then thereís no need to change that.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by prv View Post
    On the Axioms, yes.

Depends what you already have. If it’s NMEA2000 or SeatalkNG then no, if it’s original Seatalk then you need a converter box, otherwise it depends. Of course this assumes you want to display depth on the plotter, if it already has a separate display then there’s no need to change that.

Pete
    Thanks prv
    I thought my question had got lost in the general discussion.
    I know I have the second version of Seatalk, I’ll check if this is NG. Good point about the display. I was assuming that my refurb would include new separate displays but of course it doesn’t have to, or I could upgrade later.
    You have answered my next question which was to be. Will my separate speed display work from the plotter GPS. It will, I guess, depend if I have SeatalkNG. As I’ve mentioned before I do have an intermittent problem with my existing GPS feed.
    Cheers
    David

Given your photos (the two Raymarine "instruments" above, probably ST-something) I would assume you have the original Seatalk.

As explained by @prv, if you wish to keep those and integrate them with your soon-to-be Axiom, you'll have to add the Seatalk (1) to SeatalkNG converter kit, and create a simple STNG "backbone", complete with terminators. This what I have on board: two old ST60 + tridata instruments, VHF and autopilot, all linked via Seatalk 1, and connected to a STNG network comprising MFD and AIS, by means of the ST1-STNG converter. After a bit of configuration, it runs fine.

Quote Originally Posted by iapetus View Post
    Given your photos (the two Raymarine "instruments" above, probably ST-something) I would assume you have the original Seatalk.

As explained by @prv, if you wish to keep those and integrate them with your soon-to-be Axiom, you'll have to add the Seatalk (1) to SeatalkNG converter kit, and create a simple STNG "backbone", complete with terminators. This what I have on board: two old ST60 + tridata instruments, VHF and autopilot, all linked via Seatalk 1, and connected to a STNG network comprising MFD and AIS, by means of the ST1-STNG converter. After a bit of configuration, it runs fine.
    I have something very similar. The SeatalkNG backbone isn't very expensive (c. £100) and seems to work well.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234