Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Planning 2018 Cruise - Return to Fastnet

It's been a few years since we were last out here on the edge of the Atlantic but looking forward to a return cruise this summer.

Fastnet Rock

Star Wars - The Skelligs

Fastnet Rock

Routes
    Ocean Froggie

Default Re: Planning 2018 Cruise - Return to Fastnet

Is it always that flat calm and sunny? Looks nicer than the Med

Quote Originally Posted by mikef View Post
    Hi Mike. For longer trips we tend to head out during spells of settled weather when the Atlantic swell has had a chance to die down. Once you get around Mizen head to the south coast the sea state can be pleasant during summer months. If needs be, to make a trip viable we have got used to the odd day of lumpy weather. What it doesn't have is med temperatures although back in 2006 we had a spell about 10 days long with temps between 25 and 30 which is exceptional in this part of the world. The Cork/Kerry coast is the most scenic cruising ground in Ireland with loads of bolt holes, and the Cork coast is the centre of Ireland's sailing and boating activity. Noel
    Ocean Froggie

I will await your reports with interest Noel. Will you call in at Courtown?

Mike. I can say from personal experience it’s not always that calm. In August 1979 it was very unpleasant!

Quote Originally Posted by Pinnacle View Post
    Mike. I can say from personal experience it’s not always that calm. In August 1979 it was very unpleasant!
    Fastnet Race by any chance? We cruised that coast in 2004 if memory serves. The weather was pretty awful but we had a wonderful time, mainly because of the warm hospitality and great crac.

Quote Originally Posted by oceanfroggie View Post
    The Cork/Kerry coast is the most scenic cruising ground in Ireland with loads of bolt holes, and the Cork coast is the centre of Ireland's sailing and boating activity. Noel
    Hi Noel. I've only ever seen it from the inside of a rental car (actually once from the inside of a rally car but thats another story!) and it is indeed a beautiful area. Cruising that coastline in my own boat is on my boating bucket list so I'm looking forward to your cruise reports so plenty of pics please

Terrible disaster. Did you finish or were you one of the unlucky ones?

Terrible disaster. Did you finish or were you one of the unlucky ones?
    We stopped racing and went into survival mode when the winds reached 50kts. I was one of the helms on a 4 month old 37ft Oyster. We took the main sail down and tied the boom down in the cockpit. We beam reached with a storm jib only at around 8 it’s. As the low came through and the wind veered, we kept the wind on the beam and so we ended up pointing towards land. We went into Cork (Crosshaven) and had McVities chocolate digestives and champagne for lunch. No damage to the boat and all crew ok. Whilst we were prudent, I also recognise we were lucky.

We stopped racing and went into survival mode when the winds reached 50kts. I was one of the helms on a 4 month old 37ft Oyster. We took the main sail down and tied the boom down in the cockpit. We beam reached with a storm jib only at around 8 it’s. As the low came through and the wind veered, we kept the wind on the beam and so we ended up pointing towards land. We went into Cork (Crosshaven) and had McVities chocolate digestives and champagne for lunch. No damage to the boat and all crew ok. Whilst we were prudent, I also recognise we were lucky.
    Glad to hear you and the boat made it through safely

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast