Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678

Default Re: EU takes action against Malta, Greece and Cyprus on VAT

Quote Originally Posted by sorabain View Post
    Sorry, was an unintentional quote of your post.
    Got it (and also your pm), no worries!

Btw, I forgot to mention it previously, but your previous post #46 got my vote as the most spot on of the whole thread so far.
    Are you possibly an economist by trade, if you don't mind me asking?

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    Got it (and also your pm), no worries!

Btw, I forgot to mention it previously, but your previous post #46 got my vote as the most spot on of the whole thread so far.
    Are you possibly an economist by trade, if you don't mind me asking?
    Computer programmer; Finance; London.

Always think I know nothing about (macro) economics and keep meaning to read textbooks on it and try to understand the theory. As a slightly obsessive programmer with more of a pure maths background i've always struggled to get my head around macro.

Agreed. More than likely, if I could afford a Royal Denship, I would run it VAT free.
    But I wouldn't pretend that's fair, regardless of what any law (or any Lord, for that matter!) allows.
    Legal, maybe, but fair, no way.
    I don't think it's a matter of moralization (being more Catholic than the Pope is the last thing I'm interested in).
    It's just that I can't help calling a spade a spade, nothing else.
    +1 and that why there need to be fair and equal laws relating to taxation in Europe and around the world - most people will pay as little as possible, some will pay more than they need but the less fortunate don’t live in a world where a choice exists.

I certainly don’t judge anyone on their personal decisions - even if it is a grey area scheme - I just follow my own code, even if that is partially driven by some less than honourable behaviour as a younger man...never too late to atone - I hope

Quote Originally Posted by Portofino View Post
    Switzerland

At the mo
    And here I was, thinking that you just like climbing the Eiger in your spare time...

Quote Originally Posted by sorabain View Post
    i've always struggled to get my head around macro.
    No need to be concerned about that.
    One of my best Uni teachers, a well known economist, used to say that he also struggled to get his head around some aspects of macroeconomics...

I'm just loving reading all this. I've never heard so much bunk in my life. So far I count two honest people and a whole host in need to salve some guilt complex. And as a last word. The politicians who set the rules are almost certainly without doubt the worst abusers of any and every loophole known to man. They are throwing a tiffy because they probably didn't get their kickback.

Quote Originally Posted by Portofino View Post
    Switzerland

At the mo
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
    I'm just loving reading all this. I've never heard so much bunk in my life. So far I count two honest people and a whole host in need to salve some guilt complex. And as a last word. The politicians who set the rules are almost certainly without doubt the worst abusers of any and every loophole known to man. They are throwing a tiffy because they probably didn't get their kickback.
    Tiffy?

My compatriot FB ran VAT free his Royal Denship - and it's easy to guess that he did the same with several other boats.

I have no children, while FB has two children, both entitled to free sanitary assistance, school system, etc.

Therefore, my humble boat purchases (as well as the costs of running them) contributed to a social system which FB and his family can exploit even more than myself, while his ships didn't.
    Who the hell is the mysterious FB? He keeps cropping up in this thread with no explanation.

Ferris Bueller is the only FB that springs to mind, but I'm guessing it's not him...
    Ari

---------------------------------

If a man speaks in a forest, and there is no woman to hear him, is he still wrong..?

Quote Originally Posted by ari View Post
    Who the hell is the mysterious FB? He keeps cropping up in this thread with no explanation.

Ferris Bueller is the only FB that springs to mind, but I'm guessing it's not him...
    My guess would be Flavio Briatore who got his comeuppance from the Italian tax authorities https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...ax-claims.html

Thank you. That does make more sense than Ferris...
    Ari

---------------------------------

If a man speaks in a forest, and there is no woman to hear him, is he still wrong..?

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678