Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Bulkhead compass in need of refill and service

It is very important that the fluid is replaced like for like. The wrong fluid can result in the liquid going cloudy, the damping being wrong and even the letters and numbers on the card falling off! While many are oil, Alcohol mixtures are also used, and the oil composition may vary. I'm no expert, but it's a job where I'd want the advice of either an expert or the manufacturer before putting fluid in.

Default Re: Bulkhead compass in need of refill and service

Quote Originally Posted by RupertW View Post
    If it's cloudy that may well the impact of weathering and ageing of the plastic on the outside rather than the inside. I heard that people had made a good job of polishing the outside so I gave that ago and achieved what looked like a very smooth surface with scratchs gone. But still a bit cloudy so I replaced it - having spent about 6 hours trying to restore it I'm afraid a wallet plus 15 minutes did a better job than I could ever have done.
    Brasso works very well, surprisingly so does Coca cola (to clean the plastic, not refill the binnacle...) which makes you think twice before drinking it perhaps. Be sure to wax polish afterwards

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12