Default KAD 44 Primary Filter question

I have the glass bowl type with a tee bar holding the top on and drained via the little screw on the bottom of the filter
    The element looks a bit dirty, almost dusty and I would like to clean put the glass bowl and change the element, all looks fairly straightforward
    However, if I turn the fuel taps off and take this thing apart will all the diesel in the pipe, between the tap and the filter, pour out and after I put it back together will I have air in the fuel system that would require bleeding?

Thanks in advance for any advice
    See the rainbow not the rain

Default Re: KAD 44 Primary Filter question

Yes, some diesel will fall out. An old towel and a bucket will help.

I usually sort out primary and engine mounted filters at the same time.
    If the engine mounted filters are empty as well, you can prime by opening the vent screw then pump using the little lever above the lift pump until it stops bubbling, a fair bit of extra cranking on the first startup, and off you go.

I know the manual says to crack open the delivery lines as well, but I didn't ever do that. (blush).

Last edited by FlowerPower; 13-03-18 at 20:03.

It is straightforward, close the fuel supply valves, put a container under the filter unit, open the drain tap, a bit of diesel will come out. Now undo the T handle slowly and diesel will come out quickly.
    If you just want to change the filter, just let a bit out to reduce any spillage when you take the paper filter out, so just close the drain tap again, undo the T handle and take the top off. The filter just pulls out but do it slowly and have a container ready to put it straight into.

If you want to clean the bowl etc, empty the filter assembly completely through the drain tap, you will need at least a 1 litre container to catch it all. If the diesel is full of contamination and cr@p put it in a waste container. If it's crystal clear I usually put it back in the tank again.
    Once the filter assembly is empty you can undo the 4 bolts that secure the bowl and it just comes off. Its worth taking the fuel spinner off as well and cleaning the inside of that out too. Have a look on YouTube for more detail.

I clean all the bits and bowl in some petrol. Once it's all back together, put a new paper filter in, then slowly open the fuel valve and watch the assembly will fill up with diesel again. Once the paper filter is covered close the fuel valve again and put the lid and T handle back on and do it up hand tight. Open the fuel valve again job done. Keep some rags handy as you will spill some diesel.
    Last edited by kashurst; 14-03-18 at 03:11.

Only thing I can add to the above is I brim the bowl with fresh fuel from a jug, thus reducing any air in the system.

Thanks for the tips and thanks to Paul for the tutorial

Time to get my hands dirty!
    See the rainbow not the rain

Quote Originally Posted by Sneds View Post
    Thanks for the tips and thanks to Paul for the tutorial

Time to get my hands dirty!
    Good to hear from you. How are things? Rafiki on the hard having the final coats of Coppercoat.