Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Drilling out a bolt

They do them in the workshop with a lefty drill or a thing that looks like a little 'easy out'.
    Electrics & electronics Suffolk & Southwold Boatyard
    Custom Panels + Eberspacher/Webasto

New cobalt drill bit, slow and lots of lube, it'll go through it like butter. Being an allen key should be enough to guide it, get a pilot hole in and end up with a bit 1mm smaller then the grub screw thread so 5mm bit for m6 screw, 7mm bit for a m8 screw etc. You should be able to tap the remaining parts out if it doesn't come out as your drilling with the heat and movement.

I would try an over sized torx bit hammered in with heat as others have mentioned, but most of the time drilling it out is easier and quicker then messing about trying to extract.
    Tom, Sundance
    2wheels1keel.com

Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post
    A left-handed drill bit will often grab in an allen head and unscrew it.
    This ^^^^

LH drill bits are amazing, but difficult to get hold of in metric sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Ballad View Post
    New cobalt drill bit, slow and lots of lube, it'll go through it like butter. Being an allen key should be enough to guide it, get a pilot hole in and end up with a bit 1mm smaller then the grub screw thread so 5mm bit for m6 screw, 7mm bit for a m8 screw etc. You should be able to tap the remaining parts out if it doesn't come out as your drilling with the heat and movement.

I would try an over sized torx bit hammered in with heat as others have mentioned, but most of the time drilling it out is easier and quicker then messing about trying to extract.
    +1

and I would use a spotting drill for maximum rigidity. Very slow, steady pressure and thin oil.

https://m.ebay.ie/itm/KLOT-Solid-Car...d=511495230251

Thanks to all.very helpfull .
    Determined to have patience this time. Ordered mini butane torch and off to get the right drills.

Quote Originally Posted by bignick View Post
    This ^^^^

LH drill bits are amazing, but difficult to get hold of in metric sizes.
    One place I worked, we labelled LH drills as 'PZ2, PZ1 and PZ0'.
    We used them to remove small countersunk machine screws which had been loctited in place as a tamper-evident fixing.

You sometimes see 'screw removers', which are a bit like a LH drill without the flutes, i.e. just the tip ground.

Another thing which works on loctited screws of various varieties is a suitable 1/4 hex bit heated with a blow torch or kitchen gas ring. Mind how you go, the magnetic bitholder will stop working above the curie temperature.... Use a bit holder with a spring clip in it.

If we are talking about those blasted hex nuts on the top of the rope cage, I gave up in the end and got an engineer to get that stubborn one out.

He heated the area up and the nut moved.

Apparently I had used the wrong type of LockTite, the type that sets like concrete !

I think an easy out without drilling first, to leave as much meat as possible to avoid it spreading. You can always drill after if no go.

Quote Originally Posted by fisherman View Post
    I think an easy out without drilling first, to leave as much meat as possible to avoid it spreading. You can always drill after if no go.
    The problem with that might be that the easy-out doesn't have sufficient depth of engagement to grip well. An easy-out of that diameter won't be very strong . If, as the OP says, the screw takes a 2.5mm hex key he could drill that size and the easy-out would go further in. The hexagonal hole would guide the drill; if it is not badly mauled.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12