Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Best chartplotter for small sports boat

The garmin echomaps are appealing to me as I know how garmins work (or at least used to work), they're usually pretty solid.

Not a fan of the simrads - I dont like touchscreens, I prefer physical buttons when you're being bounced around in a small boat.

My main problem is where/how to mount it, I dont think there is anywhere it can go other than flush mounted in the middle of the chart table, like in the photos I linked to. That will mean fabricating a new chart table top and cutting a hole out of it for the plotter to sit in . I guess its not that big a deal to do....
    Last edited by julians; 14-03-18 at 16:53.

A little bit off topic
    But you might be interested in what Iv'e done which works on the Android Tablet.
    I've scanned and geo-referenced all the chartlets from the Tula pilots.
    There are about 150 charts in each book.
    One book for each island (Menorca, Mallorca and Ibiza)
    Each of the chartlets that I scanned have been converted into KAP/BSB format so work under OpenCPN
    OpenCPN has been available for the Android for a couple of years so it is a relatively easy job to copy these files into the Android and install OpenCPN from the Play Store.
    If you have seen the Tula Pilot books, you will know how different they are to the Navionics charts - showing beach bars and supermarkets etc
    All as charts inside the OpenCPN marine plotter software.
    Let me know if you would like further information.

This is an example - Cala d'Or

Last edited by Hurricane; 14-03-18 at 17:04.

Just to add..you do need to ensure the screen is at a decent angle depending on your driving position or you don't get to see alot on the screen as the viewing angle deteriorates. With a bracket at least you can angle it, otherwise I think you would need to change the angle on the dash for a flush mount which would mean a fair amount of grp work and moulding. Might just be ok if you always stand.

Quote Originally Posted by julians View Post
    I dont have a chartplotter on my boat, I suspect i dont really need one, as I've managed reasonably well with a waterproof android tablet and the navionics app for ages, but every now and again I think I should get a proper chartplotter.

So I'm now thinking about this again, and I wonder what is considered to be the best chartplotter for use in a small sports boat (windy 25).

I think I'd like it to be mounted on a bracket rather than flush mounted into the dash, purely to make installation easier as there isnt really any space on the dashboard for it to go without fabricating panels and other things.

It will need to be waterproof (I guess they all are?) as the cockpit does get wet in a rough sea.

I dont especially like touchscreens on boats, so if it had real buttons/knobs that would be better, but I think I may be out of luck here. And if it could be hooked to the depth sounder and engine in the future that'd be nice to have.

The raymarine dragonfly range look ok, but I havent used them.

I'll dig out a picture of the existing dash , if anyone has any good idea's where to mount it.
    I am a big fan of using an android tablet but if you are in an open boat my preference is to have a totally waterproof chartplotter (difficult to do with a tablet) and not a touch screen which often does not respond to wet fingers. If you can live with a small screen i recommend you consider this https://www.force4.co.uk/garmin-gpsm...ne-bundle.html I have sailed with the previous model of this for over 10 years and covered several thousand miles. Takes up very little space, copes with all weather conditions, has buttons and is very robust indeed. It even has a built in battery so you can use it anywhere, even on another boat, without needing any connections.

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by julians View Post
    The garmin echomaps are appealing to me as I know how garmins work (or at least used to work), they're usually pretty solid.

Not a fan of the simrads - I dont like touchscreens, I prefer physical buttons when you're being bounced around in a small boat.

My main problem is where/how to mount it, I dont think there is anywhere it can go other than flush mounted in the middle of the chart table, like in the photos I linked to. That will mean fabricating a new chart table top and cutting a hole out of it for the plotter to sit in . I guess its not that big a deal to do....
    We thought that, particularly coming from the Standard Horizon CP180. However it has not proved an issue, in fact the pinch/stretch zoom facility is good. When we looked around we found it hard to find any reasonable plotters that are push button.
    Regal 2250 - see www.sportsboat.org.uk

Plum - that 276cx looks great, especially the fact that its battery powered - shame its so pricey though - I wonder if there are other options like this one?

Hurricane thanks for the info on opencpn, I had tried that on the tablet, but I prefer the navionics app for tablet use.

The only downsides to the tablet I use today is that in bright sunlight you cant easily see the screen, and when it gets hot (which happens quite a lot in majorca), it overheats and the CPU gets throttled which slows it to a crawl.

With any of these options Ive still got the mounting issue though..... with the tablet (sony experia z3 tablet), I just use a bit of sticky back velcro to fix it to the chart table, it works exceptionally well except for the two issues above.

That garmin 276cx might be able to be mounted in the same way as I mount the tablet given that it'll run off its own battery power so no cables to get in the way. hence the appeal

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12