Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Anchor lighting

Default Re: Anchor lighting

Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post

Mebbe its because Ive discovered that lots of yachts use them and Im actually looking for them?
    One of you against tens of thousands of water taxis, little open fishing boats, dinghies with charterers heading back from happy hour... None looking up. Really bright LEDs low down for me

Quote Originally Posted by RupertW View Post
    Ah, but it’s not sailors like you that I’m afraid will hit my boat if I don’t light it at eye level.

Just for interest, I was in the Lagoon behind Isla Culatra a couple of weeks ago, off Faro. Spent the night and the anchorage was very busy. I counted 57 other yachts and virtually every one had a masthead anchor light. shore lights there not really a problem but it does give an idea of how widespread their use is.

Of course, there was one (isnt there always ) with a strobe light.

Quote Originally Posted by RupertW View Post
    Ah, but itís not sailors like you that Iím afraid will hit my boat if I donít light it at eye level.

Just for interest, I was in the Lagoon behind Isla Culatra a couple of weeks ago, off Faro. Spent the night and the anchorage was very busy. I counted 57 other yachts and virtually every one had a masthead anchor light. shore lights there not really a problem but it does give an idea of how widespread their use is.

Of course, there was one (isnt there always ) with a strobe light.

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Of course, there was one (isn't there always ) with a strobe light.
    Oh joy...

Bad luck.

long ago, around 2004 or thereabouts, Frank Holden of this parish and I were pottering gently into the river Colne before dawn, intending to anchor in Pyefleet so a German friend who is a noted marine photographer could land on Mersea Stone point and snap the Colne Smack and Barge Match. Because it was the night before this traditional event, the anchorage was full of smacks and barges, each with her paraffin riding light hung on her forestay. We remarked on two things - it could have been a hundred years earlier, and how easy it was to see where every vessel was.

Quote Originally Posted by GHA View Post
    One of you against tens of thousands of water taxis, little open fishing boats, dinghies with charterers heading back from happy hour... None looking up. Really bright LEDs low down for me
    +1

Masthead lights are OK at a distance but close to it's very hard to judge distance off, with masts of varying heights.

Quote Originally Posted by geem View Post
    the ones that think its ok to use solar garden lights!
    I hope you're not suggesting they don't stay on all night or that they're not bright enough to meet the regs? I suspect most who use them turn in early and get up in daylight so never see just how useless they are.

It's only really like that when the holiday / charter crowd are out and about, the cruisers generally know that the taxi /fishing boats fly through the anchorage full speed and tend to have low anchor lights. Ones that might actually get seen and hopefully do some good.

Quote Originally Posted by Kukri View Post
    (b) A vessel of less than fifty metres in length may exhibit an all round white light where it can best be seen in place of the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) of this Rule.

I respectfully submit that a white light at the top of the mast is not "where it can best be seen"
    True, but a light mounted on a yacht anywhere but the top of the mast is not an “all round white light”. It does Not have the required brightness over 360į.

I think we can let the lawyers fight that one out. I suspect they would always raise any issue that may shift the burden of responsibility to the other party. Personally, I think they would have a tough time claiming a yacht displaying a legally certified masthead anchor light fitted by the boatbuilder in the same location as every other boatbuilder fitted these was not compliant with the collision regulations (assuming it was working satisfactorily etc).

In the case of a combined anchor/tricolour light, such as mine it could also be argued that the only feasable location option is at the top of the mast. Since the the light has recieved aproval by the authorities there is an implied endorsement of this mounting position.

However, I agree that a lower anchor light illuminating the superstructure has practical benefits, and with low power draw LED lights now readily available there is little reason not to fit and display both options.
    Last edited by noelex; 16-10-19 at 18:14.

Quote Originally Posted by noelex View Post
    True, but a light mounted on a yacht anywhere but the top of the mast is not an “all round white light”. It does Not have the required brightness over 360į.

I.
    Annex 1 9b

(b) All-round lights shall be so located as not to be obscured by masts, top masts or structures within angular sectors of more than 6 degrees, except anchor light prescribed in Rule 30 which need not be placed at an impractical height above the hull.

I've said this before but I have a DPDT switch for a masthead anchor light and flicked the other way masthead anchor light inc deck light which lights up the boat like a cruise ship. I've also got an aquasignal 40 hanging 360 with an led bulb and enough lead to hand it in the foretriangle, off the tip of the pulpit if plugged into the vberth power or the end of the boom above the sprayhood if powered from the cabin and I want some light back there.
    Tom, Sundance
    2wheels1keel.com

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast