Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Flybridge Speakers

Quote Originally Posted by sorabain View Post
    Thanks all, it sounds like the flybridge speakers might simply be dead rather than some hidden switch that I cannot find. Will have a think about what I want to do next: whether to replace the speakers alone or the whole system for something meatier.
    Hi sorabain,

By flybridge speakers do you mean those that are on the underside of the radar arch or have yours been installed somewhere within the flybridge?

Mine were on the radar arch and didn't work when I got the boat. I've since upgraded the audio system with speakers in the cockpit and a sub under the bench seat. I used the old speaker cables to the arch for providing power to a reversing camera...

For us this arrangement works well as we spend a lot of time in the cockpit.

Quote Originally Posted by scubaman View Post
    Hi sorabain,

By flybridge speakers do you mean those that are on the underside of the radar arch or have yours been installed somewhere within the flybridge?

Mine were on the radar arch and didn't work when I got the boat. I've since upgraded the audio system with speakers in the cockpit and a sub under the bench seat. I used the old speaker cables to the arch for providing power to a reversing camera...

For us this arrangement works well as we spend a lot of time in the cockpit.
    Hi scubaman,

Yes it's the speakers under the radar arch. I replaced the stereo as the original wasn't working, but those speakers not giving any output (the wiring looked fine down below when I switched the stereo). As the speakers in the saloon were pretty underwhelming I think i'll be looking at replacing the whole setup.

Speakers/sub in the cockpit is a good idea

Quote Originally Posted by sorabain View Post
    Hi scubaman,

Yes it's the speakers under the radar arch. I replaced the stereo as the original wasn't working, but those speakers not giving any output (the wiring looked fine down below when I switched the stereo). As the speakers in the saloon were pretty underwhelming I think i'll be looking at replacing the whole setup.

Speakers/sub in the cockpit is a good idea
    The radar arch will not give any real sound enclosure. As long as the holes can be lost in some way do consider them in the side of the flybridge seating.

I bought a sub ( that at 10 inches turned out to be too big and a power amp if you happen to need one - both unused) however with the 7 inch Fusion speakers and how they are mounted whilst yes in absolute terms you would get more bass it is really not required.

The Fusion head unit is good, but I would imagine that a decent car stereo will produce a similar or possibly better sound.

The sides of the cockpit are a bit of a minefield in that there is a lot of stuff (hoses, etc.) inside and finding a clear space is difficult due to poor access. I ended up installing mine as shown in the pic. Even after a lot of poking and endoscoping behind the scenes, I nearly ruined one passing hose when I made the first hole. I had to move the cutout further back, which in turn meant having to have the teak collars made to even out the curvature. The collars were more expensive than the speakers...

KK-5755-1.jpg

Edit: the sub is under the bench on the back wall where the lazarette opening is. I reinforced the grp by epoxying a piece of kitchen worktop on the back to make the wall stiffer.
    Last edited by scubaman; 20-03-18 at 13:38.

Do bear in mind that is the cockpit and the OP is referring to the fly bridge - which should be pretty empty space other than wires for lights etc ( if fitted).

J

Yep, my post was more for future reference in case SB plans to have speakers in the cockpit, as he loosely implied in his post #12.

Quote Originally Posted by scubaman View Post
    Yep, my post was more for future reference in case SB plans to have speakers in the cockpit, as he loosely implied in his post #12.
    Yeah it's good to know what others have done so I don't have to re-discover things, especially on the same model of boat. Under the seats on the flybridge is another great idea (at the moment mine seem to collect a fair bit of water under there so i'll have to look at that).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12