Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Smile MiToS first trip after the rebuilt: Pagasitikos Bay Tour - Sept 2015

hello all,

a very long overdue thread on MiToS actually in use and not under construction...

So, end of August she was back in the water, docs all sorted a couple of days later. Schools were starting on the 10th, so rushed to at least have the first couple of days onboard.
    Started the four of us, kids were confident that something else will happen and we wont go anywhere, so they conveniently had organised to meet with friends over that w/e. However they were kind enough to follow us for the first day and drop them off at our friends house to continue with their daughter their last weekend before school start... Maybe too democratic considering they were 14 and 15 at the time, but it did pay off in the end.

So typically set off late during the day (aka early afternoon!) 12-14nm from port is Gatzea where a couple of good friends have a beautiful house by the sea. Passed that, anchored in a quiet bay which is amazingly full with urchins (so you cannot actually use this long stretch of beach unless you wear proper boots) and I always wanted to visit it. Had our first swim off MiToS which I have to admit was very relieving...

After the compulsory visit down to the e/r making sure everything is still in place (building up confidence is a gradual process...) rechecking the stbrd packing which was either steaming or leaking (got it in the end!) Angelos cooked the light chicken curry that Anna had prepared at home and we had dinner, compulsory bubbly included (didn't fish the cork though, should have kept it!)

later in the evening we moved back in front of our friends house and anchored there for the night. Not a protected spot but no wind whatsoever.
    First proper night on board was without surprises, saw me waking up early and dozing off at the aft deck with the sunrise.

We were at 5m water, all looked good, and you could see the whole village from the salon window.

kids up, straight in the water with all available means, Rafaela is somewhere in there in the next pic... Their target was the ochre painted house with the light blue windows.

and the rest of us eventually moved out to have breakfast with our friends, overlooking the sea and MiToS of course...

Spent all day with our friends anchored there and after dropping the kids we moved on further down the bay. Another colleague from work has a house 5nm down the coast in Horto. He'd invited us so we obliged. Their house is again by the beach on a slightly less open spot protected from the northerlies. Anchored in the middle of the bay again around 5m water, prepared took the small dingy that I've borrowed from another friend and off we went.

Rea took some excellent photos from their veranda, really amazing.

especially the next one:

she also documented our move from the boat to land which I find amusing:

Program for the evening included a jazz(ish) concert in the village hall and dinner (with more bubbly)
    Back on the boat for our second night onboard but this time without the kids.

[20pic limit reached, follows next]

V.
    Last edited by vas; 24-03-18 at 07:51.

Default Re: MiToS first trip after the rebuilt: Pagasitikos Bay Tour - Sept 2015

[continued]

Next morning starts again rather slow, we had a tasty espresso on board with Anna (no didn't have the La Pavoni yet onboard!) and use the dingy to meet our friends and have proper breakfast in their house. Plan for the day organised so we take the couple Rea and Pandelis, another couple with baby daughter and Rea's daughter with her friend for a swim at Jasteni.

Following two pics were taken by Rea in the morning while we were asleep, amazing work again from her:

So early morning and after a fair amount of taxing about in the tiny dingy, we set off for Jasteni. If you have ever searched for photos in Pelion/Magnesia, etc you'll definetely have come across this picturesque spot. A small peninsula (15X50m) with three small houses, amazing spot. Was a bit crowded, nicest spots taken, so we anchored fairly open and swam or dingied (sp?) out.

next pic was taken from my Sony Xperia waterproof phone whilst swimming to the beach. I like this angle and really want to have a few more in the same spot with the hard top on!

Water was amazingly warm that day (vaguely remember 28C...), summer 2015 was a very warm one and there was practically a heatwave these days in Magnesia. After 3h swimming and relaxing in the shadow of the trees at the beach we moved back and stopped at Milina for a late lunch in a taverna by the sea.
    BTW, if anyone wonders why the passerelle is mostly in the water, er, I'd not had time to even buy a cheap rope ladder so for the weaker of us, the solution was to crawl up the passerele like a seal (or sea lion if you wish...) would!

[btw, this was the roughest weather we had for the trip...]

Plans finalised (yes we're always very organised...) Pandelis decided to come back with us to Volos, his wife Rea would drive the car back next morning. So we bought coffees for the return trip, dropped off the others at Horto and set off at a relaxing pace exploring all the bays on the way back. Interesting to note that although I've been following the exact route from land for years and years (driving my car) there's so much hidden away from your eyes when driving, there were cases we weren't quite sure what we were looking at. In some cases not even the Garmin would help and I'd resort to Google Maps on my mobile for clues.

Return trip was also uneventful, son was waiting at port to help with the lines and finally Anna saw the light and accepted that I wasn't a complete nutter for all the time I spent working on MiToS. So good results all around!
    Again many thanks to all that contributed in the rebuilt thread, expect some more activity there before summer 2018!

cheers

V.
    Last edited by vas; 27-03-18 at 06:45. Reason: language/tense corrections...

Default Re: MiToS first trip after the rebuilt: Pagasitikos Bay Tour - Sept 2015

Fantastic! Stunning looking boat and wonderful pictures
    Makes all that hard work worthwhile, wishing you many more in 2018!

That's fantastic - thanks for sharing

Great to see her afloat and being used after all the hard work, great pictures and the boat looks superb. I imagine it was all the more enjoyable after having done all that work and waited so long! Awesome, and very well done indeed.
    Follow my boat ramblings - https://www.facebook.com/RobsBoatDiary/

Splendid boat, lots of family and friends, and the occasional glass of wine. What a wonderful result !
    I think, therefore I am. I am, therefore I sail.

Vas what a great report and fab pics. MiToS looks great, the pic taken by your friend when you were all still asleep really shows how all the hard work you put in has paid off. Your family and friends really looked to be enjoying themselves, for me thatís what boating is all about.

So when will the next rebuild project begin?

Superb! Great pics and report that just sum up the best of boating. Very envious of your local cruising ground!

Stunning boat Vas, well done. I'm looking out my window and then at your pics and cant say I'm not a bit jealous of your weather and scenery

Now that is my definition of pleasure boating

Great post Vas, lovely pics, and good to see MiToS in her natural habitat. Fantastic that your family enjoyed the trip too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast