Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Volvo Penta easy connect

I had this of a fashion with Mereton boxes that I needed to get programmed.

The default engine code is O

The other engine is 1

In my case I sent them away to get it changed to 1 and it all worked.

I assume Volvo have implemented it only for their own software and not other plotters.

confused!

you guys are buying two of these kits? one per engine?
    as J says, typically port engine is 0 and stbrd engine is 1.
    now if both kit report as engine 0 you're buggered, but should be dead easy for them to correct it, curious.
    would be also quite easy to do a converter box that goes on the stbrd engine and picks up the N2K signal and translates it to engine id1 from id0...

V.

Quote Originally Posted by vas View Post
    confused!

you guys are buying two of these kits? one per engine?
    as J says, typically port engine is 0 and stbrd engine is 1.
    now if both kit report as engine 0 you're buggered, but should be dead easy for them to correct it, curious.
    would be also quite easy to do a converter box that goes on the stbrd engine and picks up the N2K signal and translates it to engine id1 from id0...

V.
    Hi Vas....no just one box plugged into the EVC cable.

On the Volvo app it shows both engines but the n2k output doesn’t. The info must be in the Volvo connect box but they have cocked up with n2k output.

My original post was for guido999.......but I forgot to tell him That made things super confusing!

Quote Originally Posted by FARSCO View Post
    Hi Vas....no just one box plugged into the EVC cable.

On the Volvo app it shows both engines but the n2k output doesn’t. The info must be in the Volvo connect box but they have cocked up with n2k output.

My original post was for guido999.......but I forgot to tell him That made things super confusing!
    OK, got it now...

worth a shot trying to configure the MFD for 3 (or 4!) engines and see if you do get that other engine data on engine 3 most likely (id2) or 4 (highly unlikely) anyway it's a two min job, might as well.
    Very poor from Volvo anyway though and delaying a simple firmware update to August is way ott!

cheers

V.

C9F0FD80-D64A-401A-BEBD-1DA1409CA81F.jpeg

Looks like no info on the other channels

Quote Originally Posted by FARSCO View Post
    C9F0FD80-D64A-401A-BEBD-1DA1409CA81F.jpeg

Looks like no info on the other channels
    bugger!

you're stuck waiting for volvo then

Hi All,

This is an update on my situation with the Easy Connect kit in my boat. It is now fully sorted! As per the previous posts, the unit worked fine with the Easy Connect Application, but the starboard engine data wasn't feeding into my Simrad MFD via N2K. Curiously, I also noticed that the one part of the Easy Connect application that wasn't working was rudder position - this was only reporting the correct angle when turned to Port.

Well, the long and short of it was that Volvo supplied me with a new unit to replace the old one & the new unit is now reporting all data perfectly to the plotter and the Easy Connect iPhone app is also correctly showing all rudder angles (although I still haven't quite figured how Easy connect actually gets the rudder position in the first place as I have a really old simrad autopilot that I thought was only outputting NMEA0183 to the plotter)...so I'm now actually rather impressed with the Easy Connect kit.

Alindquist, if you (or anyone else reading this) are struggling to get anywhere with Volvo, then Andy, the Sales Director at Volspec Ltd in Essex will help. Andy and Volspec were absolutely brilliant in remotely helping me figure the problem out and in dealing with Volvo in Sweden to get the issue reported and get their hands on a new unit that fixed the N2K addressing problem (Many thanks Volspec!),

Many thanks all!

best
    Guy.

Having the same issue with only the port D12D EVC motor showing on the displays. I can connect from an Android phone but the passcode box pops up so fast on my iPad then it disappears that I cant type in the passcode. Passcode box and keyboard disappear.

I tried updating the gateway software via my droid but that fails over the air, wifi and through the phone. States make sure I'm connected to the device but I can see all data during and after.

The IPad app seems much nicer than the Android app but the Andriod app let's my enter the passcode in the App so I can connect. The iPad doesnt have that option to enter a passcode in the app v4.2.0. One thing to note, I cannot see the gateway in the normal IPad bluetooth settings but I can see it from the app. Just can't connect.

The theory here is nice but its certainly flakey. I was hoping I could upgrade the gatewat to the latest software and it would fix it but thats a no go.

Last issue was very strange, anywhere I connect it in my nmea network as soon as I turn on the ignition my garmin nmea GPS drops and 7212s displays lose connection. Shut off the ignition and it comes back.. Scratching my head on the GPS 17 dropping no matter where I place the volvo gateway in the bus. Everything else seems to work. Key on, gps lost, key off gps shows back up.

Sounds strange! Can you confirm how you’ve connected the interface into the NMEA2000 network?

Which model of nav display have you got? I’ve just re-read your post & you’ve said ‘GPS 17’...I’ve looked online & the manual doesn’t mention supporting NMEA2000, only 0183, which may well explain the GPS dropping out!

Is the app up to date? Version 2.0.4 is the latest as of 1st April (or at least it is on my iPhone)

What are your engine serial numbers?
    Last edited by Andyroonot; 12-04-19 at 18:13.

Quote Originally Posted by shielrl View Post
    Last issue was very strange, anywhere I connect it in my nmea network as soon as I turn on the ignition my garmin nmea GPS drops and 7212s displays lose connection. Shut off the ignition and it comes back.. Scratching my head on the GPS 17 dropping no matter where I place the volvo gateway in the bus. Everything else seems to work. Key on, gps lost, key off gps shows back up.
    hi and welcome to the forum,

I have to admit that I almost have no clue what you were talking about in the previous paragraphs, however I've played a lot with N2K. I'd check the wiring on the new device (Volvo thing?) and check with a multimeter if there's a V dive when you fire the thing up although I'd guess it's the two data cables getting something wrong and blocking messaging traffic on the bus.

good luck!

V

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast