Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Asymmetric spinnaker or cruising chute?

Congratulations to everybody, this must be one of the most informative threads going, with little thread drift. I wish I could have read it, before I ordered my cruising chute a few years ago. Thankfully, as a Merlin Rocket sailor, I knew Steve Goacher of Goacher Sails and his advice was generally along the line of many of the members that really as a cruising sailor, you would mainly be using the chute in lighter winds on high AWAs so go for a large chute. As we normally only sail two up, my wife and I, I said do not go too large, so we compromised a bit. Having sailed for a few years now, I can see what he is getting at and if I was ordering one again, I would go for one with a fuller head. When we are on a beam reach in a force 4, we are going fast enough that we do not need any extra power.

We always use a snuffer, but I can see that somebody has once again referred to them as a PITA. I think there are a couple of little tricks that you need to know to really use the snuffer easily and effectively and I have done a detail write up of how we use a snuffer on the myhanse website.

https://www.myhanse.com/snuffers_top...=snuffer#89894

Just scroll down a bit a look for Martin&Rene

On those really fluky days, when the wind keeps coming and going, we have sailed a few times down wind, motoring the flat bits and unsnuffing the chute when the wind pipes up a bit with no mainsail set. We had a glorious session up the Firth of Clyde last year with winds of 5-9kts with just the chute up and sometimes we were doing over 5kts. Thankfully I dropped, just before the wind went up to nearly 20kts.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin&Rene View Post
    We always use a snuffer, but I can see that somebody has once again referred to them as a PITA. I think there are a couple of little tricks that you need to know to really use the snuffer easily and effectively and I have done a detail write up of how we use a snuffer on the myhanse website.

https://www.myhanse.com/snuffers_top...=snuffer#89894
    Oh behave. This seems to be a link to a site that shows how to tame a device that is designed to tame another device.

As an ex-dinghy racer myself I've learned both symmetrical and asymmetrical spinnakers the hard way and although I'm open to the idea of a snuffer, it isn't on the top of my list of things to buy.

But then I said that about those dreadful stack-pack things. And they were so good I bought them for my last 2 boats...

Quote Originally Posted by dancrane View Post
    If he really does switch tack and clew on an asymmetric, for alternate tacks, I would pay to see footage of it.
    I have done that on occasion, sadly don't have any footage. What happens is that you are sailing along the coast on a sunny afternoon in a pleasant breeze, and start to think that you would like to point a bit deeper. There is not much going on so you dig out a spare line and make yourself a guy. Now you can swing the chute out to windward just like a real spinnaker! But then you come to a headland/pier/group of lobster pots and realise that you need to be on the other tack for a couple of minutes. It's a lot of effort to untangle all the string and gybe properly, much easier to swap the pole over and sail for a minute with the chute backwards. Of course the new 'luff' is comically short and it's a pain to keep flying, but once past the obstruction you can get back to running deep with a minimum of fuss. If only there was a sail that would let you do all that without looking silly...

I have not tested the difference between a racing asymmetric and a cruising chute as the OP asked but I did make a video to compare the performance of a 105% jib, a cruising chute (in fact two different cruising chutes} and a cruising code zero. Yes I know the latter term is something of a non-sequitur but it is a term in common usage. The video does address many of the issues people have raised regarding the merits of asymmetric sails and their relative performance.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234