Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Blunt warning about carbon monoxide for boaters using petrol engines

TMBA - Championing the non tidal Thames

Default Re: Blunt warning about carbon monoxide for boaters using petrol engines

Good advice. A generator ban would save lives too

Default Re: Blunt warning about carbon monoxide for boaters using petrol engines

Excellent advice and something that is worthy of regular reminders.

What I find depressing it the total lack of any action by any authority with regard to the various 'rent a room' boats on the river that regularly run petrol generators for hours every evening in boats with up to 10 sleeping onboard alongside makeshift propane cooking facilities . I hope it never happens but one day we could see multiple fatalities in a single easily preventable incident.

In an interview in The Guardian one ex. tenant on one of the Trotman boats reported that the CO alarms were regularly going off. Having an alarm is obviously a good thing, but only if it is used to identify and correct a problem - not when it is used to repeatedly advise you that the grim reaper is knocking at the door.

As usual we can expect no action will be taken to protect these (largely unwitting) tenants in Richmond, Kingston, and other boroughs until it's been necessary to hold an inquest.
    Last edited by Lower Limit 1909; 11-04-18 at 16:51.

Quote Originally Posted by Lower Limit 1909 View Post
    ...In an interview in The Guardian one ex. tenant on one of the Trotman boats reported that the CO2 alarms were regularly going off...
    Do you mean CO alarms? I've never seen a CO2 alarm in a domestic environment.

I do indeed - duly corrected.

Worth noting that an alarm will not only protect you from a fault on your own boat but from boats moored around you.

Ours was set off on a regular basis by the boat next door to us in the marina warming up it's V8 petrol engine. He has sold it now so hopefully the next boat next door will have a more sensible engine!
    Sealine S23 - Naughty-Cal
    http://naughty-cal.blogspot.co.uk/

Apart from my initial thoughts anybody mad enough to run a pair of V8's on the Thames is unlikely to suffer from brain damage...

My CO detector went off last year when I was running my petrol genny on the towpath outside the boat, and the detector was in the bedroom with the door closed! While I doubt the fumes would have actually harmed me, it was an eye opener nevertheless, and a lesson to remember.

I have been waiting to enter Boveney lock, when the gates opened, and one could smell the petrol fumes as the gates opened, much to my horror, and a Sport cruiser exited the lock a few seconds later. I suggested to the skipper he might want to take a look at the engines due to the truly epic aroma of hydrocarbons it was emitting, but he cheerfully laughed it off and said it was running on choke (!) but it reminded me of an old skool American V8 with a four barrel Holley started up in a small lock up. How it hasn't gone bang, let alone killed anybody with CO is astonishing.

The warnings are definitely not scaremongering....

Quote Originally Posted by No Regrets View Post
    Apart from my initial thoughts anybody mad enough to run a pair of V8's on the Thames is unlikely to suffer from brain damage...
    Seems to me that the Thames (or other inland waterway) would be about the only sensible place to even consider running a pair of large V8s these days. I for one wouldn't be able to afford the fuel bill to run a couple of them at full load, even if the petrol was readily available on the coast.

One wonders why he was using the choke on a warm engine...
    As a thought, are carbon monoxide detectors clever enough to distinguish between CO, CO2 and an excess of airborne hydrocarbons?
    Chris Hanley

Auto choke: No choice on a cool engine running on idle for most of it's life, possibly poorly maintained and in need of a damn good thrashing!

CO detectors sense CO. I wouldn't care too much about CO2 as it's not lethal though. Hydrocarbons are not CO, despite being produced by the same sick engines!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast