Page 146 of 151 FirstFirst ... 4696136141142143144145146147148149150 ... LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,460 of 1504

Thread: Steelboats

Default Re: Steelboats

Quote Originally Posted by john_morris_uk View Post
    I’d like to think that we are all grown up and can make sensible and reasoned choices. Brent’s target sales are to people who wish to drop out of society (and there’s nothing wrong in that) but this very cohort are also potentially going to be sold a false dream in which the potential problems of his designs and construction methods are brushed over. It’s irresponsible to allow his false claims and exaggerations to go unchallenged.
    A far higher percentage of my clients actually make it off the treadmill, most of them , than those buying stock plastic boats,aand getting their advice from those selling production gear and boats.

You doubt wrong Brent.

And I’ve seen and sailed some dogs of home finished boats and some that were built with skill and care.

I am bemused by how you can’t see that your constant harping on about the poor quality of professional yacht design and manufacturers doesn’t reflect well on you.
    Yes , some home built boats are dogs , and some are great. Some production plastic boats are dogs, and some sail great. Humans who build them are quite variable. Tell us something new!

You can certainly build something that floats. You might build something that sails. An understanding of basic mechanics and materials might build you a boat but there's no guarantee at all that it will be a good one.

Whether it's got desirable characteristics and balance on the helm that is predictable and it's reliable as it heels with trim stability that you can rely on and has a good sailing performance on all points of sail etc. is another matter.

There's rather more to good yacht design than just building something that is yacht shaped. It's all about compromise and varying one characteristic always compromises another. I'd rather have a boat that was designed by someone who had an appreciation of what compromises were being made, and who had actually done some stability calculation and knew something about ballast ratio and displacement and all the other factors.
    Good is far better determined by decades of experience in cruising in them , than by armchair predictions. How they sail, and have survived extreme conditions. rather than how they are predicted to sail, and survive. Feed back from those who have such experience in them , rather than speculation for those who have none.
    Hull balance is simple. Calculate the Longitudinal centre of buoyancy ,when she is level. Then calculate the LCB when she is heeled 25 degrees. If when heeled , the LCB remains the same , or moves slightly forward ,the hull is balanced, and can have good directional stability. If it moves aft , she is poorly balanced, and will have little directional stability. Super lean bows and fat sterns are something to be avoided,if you want directional stability.
    Harrison Butler figured that out in the 1930s , and some designers to this day haven't caught on.
    Last edited by Brent Swain; 18-09-19 at 22:11.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
    BD.net has zero credibility ,in the real world of cruising boats ,of which no one there has any real experience.
    Reading through Boatdesign net half a dozen Professional engineers another group of Naval architects and various professional yacht designers boat builders and steel worjkers all revealed that you had almost no understanding of the failure modes of metal hulls. Virtually no understanding whatsoever of the technical process of yacht design, and that you not only completely misunderstood the process, but that you lied extensively about several things, including the derivation of stability for your designs.

The result was that BS Origami is apparently quite dead now, no ones building the boats anymore following the revelations made firstly on BD net. Everyone who was interested is building frameless Van de Staadts instead.

Even one of your own clients posted that he dumped an unfinished BS origami hull and built a VDS hull instead, he even gave you an earful on BD net and told you to man up and listen to the professionals that were offering to help you improve your design and deduce the correct stability curve. You want the link ?

So you were severely mauled by the pro's there. There were several other revelations too. So it's no wonder you try and do a BS job on BD net.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
    ........ My 36 has 4 times 8 ft of 3/16th plate holding the keels on, at 11,250 lbs tensile strength per linear inch; 2,280,000 total tensile strength, 24 sq inch total , plus transverse stiffening , 4 -3 inch by 3 inch by half inch thick angles per side, 285,000 lbs tensile strength each.
    Brentís knowledge of strength of materials is matched only by his ability to weld.

Is there any way that this thread can be taken to a Vet for euthanasia?

Quote Originally Posted by davidjackson View Post
    Brent’s knowledge of strength of materials is matched only by his ability to weld.

I think he’s successfully squeezing all the life out of it with every post he makes. It’s more or less dead thank goodness. I think we’ve been extremely generous in allowing it to survive this long.
    Semper aliud

I think heís successfully squeezing all the life out of it with every post he makes.
    Very hard to disagree with that.

yes,enough is enough
    never confuse education with intelligence
    Sailing the Aegean

Quote Originally Posted by Luminescent View Post
    I have a feeling I know why they banned you :|. Personal attacks aren't welcome on this forum either, not sure about YBW's stance on 'all x are y' comments though.
    But of course there's a reason why the military tend to use steel rather than grp XD.
    Personal attacks against me , have been more than welcomed here. One site banned me for "disagreeing with people." No one there was banned for disagreeing with me. All progress in any field requires disagreeing with someone. Without disagreement we would still be in the stone age.
    But "Schadenfreude ", once they banned me ,and thus banned any innovative thinking outside the box ( ie. progress ) interest in that site died, and the site died. Darwinism took its natural course.

Quote Originally Posted by davidjackson View Post
    Brent’s knowledge of strength of materials is matched only by his ability to weld.

You suggestion being that the 'Approved "cross section for keel bolts, of 3.6 sq inches ,is stronger than 72 sq inches of steel ? Stronger than 4,320,000 lbs total tensile strength ?Doesn't say much for your understanding of strength of metals!
    Oh I get it .The "approval"makes the metal far stronger.
    Ya sure!
    Jeeeeze!
    On steel boats , in anything but a very short keel , the strength is such a massive overkill , that there is zero chance of a steel boat keel ever falling off, unlike plastic and wooden boats.
    Friends on plastic boats are constantly worried about the state of their keel bolts.

Page 146 of 151 FirstFirst ... 4696136141142143144145146147148149150 ... LastLast