[QUOTE=Brent Swain;6711201]
Quote Originally Posted by rotrax View Post

Seeing how little cruising time they get, and how much working time they have to do to pay for it, it seems they need a lot of advice, for those who aspire to do more cruising and less working , from someone who has accomplished that since my early 20s, to the chagrin, and frustration of those who stand to profit by keeping them on the consumer treadmill as long as possible. Does the latter describe you?
Most sailors-by, I should imagine, a factor of 10,000 to 1-use sailing as a leisure activity. Cruising is part of that. In my own case, for about 5 months every year.

Being a full time cruiser, living aboard an inexpensive self built steel boat may be an aspiration for some, particularly in the Pacific NW, which is full of those who like alternative life styles.

But, as you have found, most sailors do not wish for that. They have stuff you show a great disdain for in your arrogance, like wives and families.

Wives and families mean, unless camping on water is a great attraction, a little more sophistication than your simple boats provide.

You again show your true mettle with such statements as " To the chagrin and frustration of those who stand to profit by keeping them on the consumer treadmill as long as possible. "

The work/life balance is a choice Brent.

Like choosing the material of a boat.

It's all about what you want from your short time on this planet.

You wanted to go cruising. Others like the idea of a family and a home, with a job that allows them a little money to enjoy other pursuits after looking after the home and family. It is a simple choice. You made yours, they made theirs.

I think it is a truism that you only regret what you did not do.

I hope you have no regrets about your life Brent.

Most sailors I know are not full time cruising liveaboards and have few regrets about their choices either.