Page 103 of 151 FirstFirst ... 353939899100101102103104105106107108113 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 1504

Thread: Steelboats

  1. #1021
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,365

    Default Re: Steelboats

    Quote Originally Posted by Achosenman View Post
    If you do a bit of research in other places where his fantas...sorry fantastic life and claims have been scrutinised closely, you will quickly realise that it will likely be the same as usual. I.e a couch at his sister's house and a dole cheque from the Canadian government...
    I last lived full time in a house was in 1976.
    Boring as watching paint dry .Moved onto my boat as quickly as possible.
    Pension is not the dole.
    Dole is the $5 trillion the oil companies are subsidized world wide annually . Dole is the $45 billion the Canadian government paid for a 50 year old pipeline assessed at being worth $5 billion.
    Hilo Clearance.jpg
    My last Hilo Hawaii clearance paper, listing the ports visited on that voyage, one of many voyages, US customs tends to check with ports listed.
    A good steel boat is one that people hang onto for decades, and trust to round the Horn safely , and recommend to others seeking a boat for a circumnavigation ( Search Silas Crosby, and Tagish )which experienced sailors like Winston Bushnell keep going back to the same designer for their next boat , and recommend to their daughters( Search Sail Magazine for "When Kim Rowed Over. )
    Last edited by Brent Swain; 21-03-19 at 22:36.

  2. #1022
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,365

    Default Re: Steelboats

    Quote Originally Posted by DownWest View Post

    One thought, since our hero BS has lived a spendid life outside the system, what happens when he gets a bit doddery? Who will look after him?
    Continually practicing for the a day one gets a bit Doddery can make it a self fulfilling prophecy ,and bring the doddery part along much more quickly.
    Allen Farell lived on his boat , in top shape, until he died a couple of months short of 90.He would have died sooner in the inactive, out of shape shore life, if the boredom didn't kill him first.

  3. #1023
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,365

    Default Re: Steelboats

    Quote Originally Posted by Achosenman View Post
    If you do a bit of research in other places where his fantas...sorry fantastic life and claims have been scrutinised closely, you will quickly realise that it will likely be the same as usual. I.e a couch at his sister's house and a dole cheque from the Canadian government...
    I last lived full time in a house in 1976.
    Boring ans watching paint dry .Moved onto my boat as quickly as possible.
    Pension is not the dole.
    Dole is the $5 trillion the oil companies are subsidized world wide annually . Dole is the $45 billion the Canadian government paid for a 50 year old pipeline assessed at being worth $5 billion.
    Hilo Clearance.jpg
    My last Hilo Hawaii clearance paper, listing the ports visited on that voyage, one of many voyages, US customs tends to check with ports listed.

  4. #1024
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,365

    Default Re: Steelboats

    Quote Originally Posted by rotrax View Post
    You are bang on.

    For sheer sameness the BC coastline has it in spades. Only the sun reflecting off the Cascades adds variety.

    Perhaps the mind numbing samey repetitive dark green scenery is why BS is as he is.

    Its in the phsyche from living in such a place.

    Dont get me wrong-it can be stunningly beautiful-but a constant and unchanging diet of champagne anf fillet mignon soon has one screaming for a cheese and pickle sandwich........................
    I just spent 3 weeks in Mexico. On the west coast of Mexico, I could count on one hand or less, all the good all weather anchorages in all the west coast of Mexico.
    NO thanks!
    Much of the world is that way.
    Hakai area of BC has around 811 islands in 35 miles, and almost as many , totally hurricane proof anchorages. No fees of any kind, in fact almost no people. Tons of great food, free for the taking. NO bureaucrats anywhere!

  5. #1025
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    402

    Default Re: Steelboats

    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
    Pension is not the dole.
    .
    So after being economically inactive since your 20s and contributing nothing to the Canadian economy, you now expect the friendly Canadian taxpayer to fork out for your idleness and late-life care. You really do think the world owes you a living, don't you. That's not self-sufficiency, it is complete BS.

  6. #1026
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    295

    Default Re: Steelboats

    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
    I last lived full time in a house in 1976.
    Boring ans watching paint dry .Moved onto my boat as quickly as possible.
    Pension is not the dole.
    Dole is the $5 trillion the oil companies are subsidized world wide annually . Dole is the $45 billion the Canadian government paid for a 50 year old pipeline assessed at being worth $5 billion.
    Hilo Clearance.jpg
    My last Hilo Hawaii clearance paper, listing the ports visited on that voyage, one of many voyages, US customs tends to check with ports listed.
    So, youíre happy to take a state pension without contributing anything to it? Thatís called being a parasite. You also have the bare faced cheek to slag everyone else off who works, pays their way and contributes to Canadian society, thereby allowing you to leech off their hard work and taxes.

    IMO, you are nothing but a narssistic parasite. That is nothing to be proud of.

  7. #1027
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    South Oxfordshire, Gosport and Wellington New Zealand.
    Posts
    8,217

    Default Re: Steelboats

    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post

    oil under the engine will have caught fire.
    I dont know what sort of engines you use, but none of my last three boats has ever had any oil under the engine apart from immediatly after an oil filter change. This, on my boat, is inescapeable as the filter is horizontal and hard to reach.

    I now put an old towel under to catch the oil before unscrewing.

    My current boat has a dedicated enclosed engine room with an extinguisher firing hole.

    So, first thing I would do is turn off the fuel at the tank-easily accessed-fire the big extinguisher through the hole and put out an engine fire.

    Any other fires would be dealt with if they occured with the other large extinguishers on board.

    Our RNLI offer a boat safety check.

    When checked, we were informed by the checker that our boats safety kit was as good as he had ever seen on a non commercial vessel.

    Can you say the same Brent?

  8. #1028
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    S.W. France
    Posts
    7,673

    Default Re: Steelboats

    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
    Continually practicing for the a day one gets a bit Doddery can make it a self fulfilling prophecy ,and bring the doddery part along much more quickly.
    Allen Farell lived on his boat , in top shape, until he died a couple of months short of 90.He would have died sooner in the inactive, out of shape shore life, if the boredom didn't kill him first.
    More stories picked out of the wind. Plenty of people who look after themselves and live heathy lives, suffer strokes or other problems and become totally dependant on others. Happened to someone we know a couple of weeks ago. Last person one would have thought. Now in a coma with unknown prognosis. Another, needs 24/7 care after a stroke. Blind, in wheelchair and her devoted hubby wheels her around to feel the sea breeze.
    So what is your back up plan if you don't live to 90 and croak quickly?

  9. #1029
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,365

    Default Re: Steelboats

    Quote Originally Posted by newtothis View Post
    So after being economically inactive since your 20s and contributing nothing to the Canadian economy, you now expect the friendly Canadian taxpayer to fork out for your idleness and late-life care. You really do think the world owes you a living, don't you. That's not self-sufficiency, it is complete BS.
    As ones personal environmental foot print is directly porportionate to how much money one spends (economic activity) I make no apology for not taking part in the anthropocene extinctions, as much as most people do, or for being as environmentally responsible as I have been. When people choose to live aboard the boats I have built, or enabled them to afford, their personal environmental foot print declines drastically .
    I have passed on livelihoods to the people I have trained.
    I believe such an environmentally responsible choice of lifestyles deserves a rich reward, which I am enjoying thoroughly ,and passing on to others living as responsibly .It is the one way govts actually reward people for living responsibly, instead of their usual practice of rewarding those who destroy the environment ,and the sustainability of life .
    LOL!

  10. #1030
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,365

    Default Re: Steelboats

    Quote Originally Posted by rotrax View Post
    I dont know what sort of engines you use, but none of my last three boats has ever had any oil under the engine apart from immediatly after an oil filter change. This, on my boat, is inescapeable as the filter is horizontal and hard to reach.

    I now put an old towel under to catch the oil before unscrewing.

    My current boat has a dedicated enclosed engine room with an extinguisher firing hole.

    So, first thing I would do is turn off the fuel at the tank-easily accessed-fire the big extinguisher through the hole and put out an engine fire.

    Any other fires would be dealt with if they occured with the other large extinguishers on board.

    Our RNLI offer a boat safety check.

    When checked, we were informed by the checker that our boats safety kit was as good as he had ever seen on a non commercial vessel.

    Can you say the same Brent?
    Yes I can say the same, as my boat can be sealed airtight in under a minute, killing any fire quickly. I know of several who tried to fight a foam fire with extinguishers . All lost the battle. Those who shut the oxygen off, all won the battle, with minimal damage (one who was not aboard during an oil stove overflow fire,) . The suggestion that one should do what has failed time and time again, instead of that which has worked time and time again, is really, incredibly dense.

    Wouldn't it be nice if those top, infallible, highly qualified ,"experts", who design our engines, had the simple ,uncommon sense ,to make all filtres vertical?
    Last edited by Brent Swain; 25-03-19 at 22:39.

Page 103 of 151 FirstFirst ... 353939899100101102103104105106107108113 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to