Page 108 of 131 FirstFirst ... 85898103104105106107108109110111112113118 ... LastLast
Results 1,071 to 1,080 of 1303

Thread: Steelboats

South Oxfordshire, Gosport and Wellington New Zealand.

Default Re: Steelboats

Quote Originally Posted by newtothis View Post
    Yeah, whatever, LOL.
    You're still a Benefit Scrounger with a limited grip on reality.
    Well BS, I for one would not change my life for yours.

If I went tomorrow, I would be sad as I still have much to do and see.

But, if that came to pass, no regrets at all. I have enjoyed a fabulous life, and indeed, am still enjoying it.

As you have never experienced much of the way most on this planet pursue life you therefore have no idea of the physical and emotional bonds that normal humans have within family groups.

Your reasons for living the way you do are yours alone.

Again, in your narrative you belittle those who live differently to you. This does you no credit whatsoever.

Well BS, you are, IMHO, only on this forum for two reasons.

1. You are banned from the mainstream North American ones.

2. You have said all you have to say on the steel boat forums-probably more than once. Ergo, nothing more to say. For someone who likes the sound of his own voice, or its internet equivalent, that must be the kiss of death.

You are now sussed out here. A one trick pony.

Same as on SA.

I recall the headline when I thought I would look up one of your designs that was for sale. Very nice boat too.

The headline read:- " $H1t Brent Swain Says! "

And, IMHO, most of what you say can firmly be put into that exact catagory.

It appears many others worldwide agree with that........................
    Last edited by rotrax; 30-03-19 at 14:22. Reason: Additional text.

Quote Originally Posted by rotrax View Post
    Well BS, I for one would not change my life for yours.

If I went tomorrow, I would be sad as I still have much to do and see.

But, if that came to pass, no regrets at all. I have enjoyed a fabulous life, and indeed, am still enjoying it.

As you have never experienced much of the way most on this planet pursue life you therefore have no idea of the physical and emotional bonds that normal humans have within family groups.

Your reasons for living the way you do are yours alone.

Again, in your narrative you belittle those who live differently to you. This does you no credit whatsoever.

Well BS, you are, IMHO, only on this forum for two reasons.

1. You are banned from the mainstream North American ones.

2. You have said all you have to say on the steel boat forums-probably more than once. Ergo, nothing more to say. For someone who likes the sound of his own voice, or its internet equivalent, that must be the kiss of death.

You are now sussed out here. A one trick pony.

Same as on SA.

I recall the headline when I thought I would look up one of your designs that was for sale. Very nice boat too.

The headline read:- " $H1t Brent Swain Says! "

And, IMHO, most of what you say can firmly be put into that exact catagory.

It appears many others worldwide agree with that........................
    Most in the industrialized world ,live lives which would take several more planets to sustain.Several Octobers ago, I read in National Geographic that the average western US house uses 350 gallons of water per day .How long would that much water last the average liveaboard. My electrical consumption was 1/10,000th that of the average house ,mostly made with solar panels and wind generator. Then along came LEDs, reducing that another ten fold. My heat source is mostly on the 300 meter diet, as is the seafood in my diet. Wood heat has zero global warming effect, as wood would produce the same greenhouse gas effect, if it were left to rot on the beach.
    Hypocracy is claiming to be concerned about future generations while destroying their surviveability . Anyone who believes we can have infinite growth on a finite planet, is either insane, or an economist.
    I was banned from other sites, because their sponsors can't afford to have someone telling people how to build better gear for a fraction the price they are charging.Nor can they afford to have their customers get off the treadmill early, and stop buying their gear.
    I heard last nite on CBC radio about a quote from Aristotle.
    Something like;
    "If people were raised in prison, and thus knew nothing else, and one escaped, then returned to tell them about life outside , he would immediately be branded a liar ,ridiculed, and nothing he said would be believed"!
    Kinda like talking of freedom, to people on the treadmill here!
    Last summer ,I met a kid who had spent the summer here, and was talking about having to return to " reality."
    I said "You have met a lot of people here, who live here year round and have chosen to make this their "reality.. You also have that option. Whoever owns the treadmill you are walking on, for their benefit, not yours, has a big financial stake in brainwashing you to believe his treadmill is the only "Reality" you have.

I'll take my reality over urban treadmill reality ( UBA- urban bran atrophy ) any time!

I cant think of anyone else on the planet I would change lives with. I live full time, in a place the rich save all year round, to spend 3 weeks in, and get paid more than I know how to spend, doing as I please , 12 months a year.

New Zealand ? Been there, done that. Some nice cruising, but very limited, compared to BC. Few protected waters mostly open roadstead. Very low wages means it was inaccessible, unless you brought a lot of money with you. I didn't ,and ended up hating it. Could have legally stayed there indefinitely . No thanks, came home, grateful to be home.

Being retired, with more money than I know how to spend ,I love it when one half wit talks another out of bothering me for plans , the kind of people who believe every misquote, deliberate lie ,and made up quote they read on the internet (as most of them are.) Then, I only have to deal with the intelligent, with far wiser results.
    One half wit Tasmanian critic believed the lies, and decided to build a framed boat, using 1950s methods. Took him years to get to a point I reach in days. Ended up with a slow, tippy, cramped boat design which several of my clients have sold, to upgrade to one of mine.
    Love it!
    LOL!
    Schadenfreude!

Several cruisers around here, after years of messing with plastic and wooden boats, are dreaming of steel, the kind of experienced people I prefer to deal with.
    Most steel critics have no experience with a good, well built, and well detailed steel boat. The abysmally naive get their old wives tales, and misinformation from them.
    I was just at a lecture on boat maintenance, from professional builders and yard owners ,who said "Don't let anyone tell you fibreglass doesn't deteriorate over time." which several rebuilding older boats have repeated to me, time and time again.
    Last edited by Brent Swain; 02-04-19 at 22:24.

I just read in the latest issue of 'Cruising Outpost" about a ship losing 270 containers in the North Sea, in one storm, many of which are still floating out there.I wouldn't want to be sailing in plastic boat at night in that mess. Sure, you could be lucky, and not hit one ,many are ,but good seamanship is not leaving that to luck. A good steel hull would have no problem in a collision with one of those containers.Not so, with most stock plastic boats.

That issue also contains an article about a couple who bought and refurbished an older 32 ft plastic boat. Took them 3 years of hard work , more by far than most building one of my boats from scratch. almost emptied their bank account. Then ,instead of new, they have fixed up" old."

Quote Originally Posted by newtothis View Post
    Yeah, whatever, LOL.
    You're still a Benefit Scrounger with a limited grip on reality.
    Love my reality, always have, far more than most treadmill walkers enjoy theirs( except those who neither know, nor can imagine any other.)

Ya, I feel real guilty of not leaving money for the govt to give to " multinational corporate benefit scroungers" .( like the $5 trillion to oil company," benefit scroungers.)"

I read an interesting article on keel shapes in Latitude 48. Some racing boats have gained major improvements by rounding off sharp leading edges on keels. Seems that prevents stalling of sharp leading edges, in rough water, even broad reaching.
    Some have questioned the 6 inch pipe on my single keels, for being too blunt. They would be ,if they were vertical, ,but cut one horizontally, parallel to the waterline, and you have an elipse equivalent to a 3 inch ran vertically .
    I found a 6mm wall will collapse in a collision ,,even when filled with melted in lead, but not a 12mm wall thickness. For twin keels I use a solid shaft. Either will take a hull speed collision with a rock ,with no damage to them.

Quote Originally Posted by bbg View Post
    Doesn't answer my question. Have you had a CCG courtesy safety inspection?
    I think over 350,000 miles of open ocean cruising, over 40 years, with zero serious structural problems of any kind, is more accurate and relevant ,than the inspection of bureaucrats. Coast Guard inspections here only deal with safety gear. You can get that in their little booklet.
    One of my 31 footers was stopped and checked by the US coast guard, off the Oregon coast.
    They wrote on the paper they gave him:
    "This is the best built small boat we have ever inspected."
    Last edited by Brent Swain; 02-04-19 at 22:27.

The MV Rena lost an estimated 900 containers when it ran aground and broke up off the coast of New Zealand in October 2011. Photo courtesy Maritime New Zealand.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
    The MV Rena lost an estimated 900 containers when it ran aground and broke up off the coast of New Zealand in October 2011. Photo courtesy Maritime New Zealand.
    Here's a quote from an authoritative source on the containers aboard the Rena from August 2012. See http://www.cargolaw.com/2011nightmar...na2.html#feb_5

Container Snapshot

1,368 containers on board M/V Rena at time of grounding
    547 containers stored above deck at the time of grounding
    821 containers stored below deck at time of grounding
    121 containers with perishable foodstuffs
    32 containers with dangerous goods
    Approx 250 containers remain below decks on the severed bulk-head (bow section)

Unable to confirm how many containers remain on board sunken M/V Rena stern section
    Estimated 98 containers (total) lost overboard before 8 January 2012
    Estimated 150 containers lost overboard on 8 January 2012
    584 containers processed on shore by Braemar Howells teams since container recovery began on November 16. 514 have been removed from M/V Rena by salvors and 70 recovered from the water and beaches.

248 containers lost overboard (NOT 900!). Subsequent salvage work has accounted for nearly all of Rena's cargo, all containers, even the sunk ones, are accounted for, the wreck has been made safe and is now a dive site. Millions of dollars were spent to make this happen and the implication that New Zealand would allow rogue containers to float off without any attempt to recover them is an insult to our society as a whole.

No containers from the Rena are bobbing around in the South Pacific waiting to strike unsuspecting boaties, whatever materials their hulls may be made from.

This thread seems to be kept going on the basis of fearmongering, fake news and general bullshit posted by one discredited individual. Time for it to be shut down, methinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Fossil View Post
    This thread seems to be kept going on the basis of fearmongering, fake news and general bullshit posted by one discredited individual. Time for it to be shut down, methinks.
    It is kept going by people responding to the fear mongering, fakery and general BS posted by one arrogant and offensive individual. If everyone stopped responding, the thread would die. Other than BS arguing with himself (which he seems to be doing the last week).

Let it die. Stop feeding the troll.

Quote Originally Posted by Fossil View Post
    Here's a quote from an authoritative source on the containers aboard the Rena from August 2012. See http://www.cargolaw.com/2011nightmar...na2.html#feb_5

. Millions of dollars were spent to make this happen and the implication that New Zealand would allow rogue containers to float off without any attempt to recover them is an insult to our society as a whole.
    This thread seems to be kept going on the basis of fearmongering, fake news and general bullshit posted by one discredited individual..
    Someonè "allowed"the the Titanic to sink?
    Someone " àllowed`` hurricane Katrina to hit New Orleans?
    It was not a case of allowing, it was a case of dumb luck that it hit where it could be salvaged, instead of Esperance rock, in the Kermadecs, or Minerva reef .
    900 was the number given in the article I read on the Metal Boat society forum on facebook.

"Discredited "by who? A guy who charges $175 an hour for advice on what he has never done , ocean cruising , steel boat building, living aboard and maintaining for decades any small steel boat, Bob Perry and his harem of trolling groupies? People selling very expensive gear, who don't want people to know of better, more affordable alternatives? "Discredited" by those on other sites, who have zero steel boat building, ocean cruising ,long term steel boat maintenance or living aboard experience?
    A common theme here, is,"if you see someone doing things the hard way , and have experienced decades of doing it a far better, simpler, and more affordable way, don't tell them. That would be arrogant. Be humble, and just let them screw up?"
    If you see someone heading for a financial cliff , don't warn them; that would be arrogant . .Just be nice, and humble, and let them go over the cliff.

Another theme here, is listing advantages of steel over plastic is a no no.
    Only disadvantages of steel are allowed here. Only disinformation on this is allowed. Experience based honesty , is rude!
    Only orthodoxy is allowed here?
    Last edited by Brent Swain; 11-04-19 at 00:08.

Page 108 of 131 FirstFirst ... 85898103104105106107108109110111112113118 ... LastLast