Page 12 of 129 FirstFirst ... 278910111213141516172262112 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelboats

Default Re: Steelboats

Quote Originally Posted by john_morris_uk View Post
    We have a very similar facility on these forums. There’s a little triangle to the bottom left of each post. If you click on it you can ‘report’ the post for any reason you like. (There a message that says it should only be used for reporting spam, trolling, etc. but people use it for all sorts of reasons. ). Myself and the other mods get a copy of the complaint and a link to the post in our inbox.

I’m trying to work out how I decide between legitimate criticisms and genuine interest but worry about some detail and unwarranted criticism or trolling. How do you think we should decide?
    Relevance to the subject matter is a good test . Substance, relative to the title , rather than personal attack, with no such relevance, is another one. Attacking a person as routine, for the sake of attacking, is another.
    Thanks for the info. Wish I had found that much earlier. Its well hidden.

Another problem has popped up. When I am on page 12 and try to go to page 11, a completely new, irrelevant page pops up ,with no indication of how to get to page 11. Makes the site extremely difficult to use.
    Last edited by Brent Swain; 06-12-18 at 19:42.

Quote Originally Posted by NormanS View Post
    My boat has 4" to 5" bulwarks, with only a couple of deck drains and one right aft. Sure, in heavy going, we get water on the deck, but with a pleasing healthy shear, very little can stay aboard for any time, so where's the problem?
    Their problem is the difference between armchair theory and reality. They prefer to go by the former, then call me "illogical." because reality doesn't conform with with their armchair theory.

South Oxfordshire, Gosport and Wellington New Zealand.

My boat has 4" to 5" bulwarks, with only a couple of deck drains and one right aft. Sure, in heavy going, we get water on the deck, but with a pleasing healthy shear, very little can stay aboard for any time, so where's the problem?
    There is no problem with a boat like that.

My comment was clear:- " without substantial drainage capability ".

With drainage capability and shear, little water would stay aboard.

But BS's post just said he had designed a boat with 4 inch bulwarks and some shear. No mention of deck drainage.

His anecdote re asking a designer and getting the answer he posted may or may not be true.

I certainly don't know, but it seems strange that he would receive such an answer from a good designer or naval architect.

Not that I am suggesting he is line shooting, but he appears evangelistic enough about his origami steel yachts to embellish the facts a little.

IMHO, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
    Another problem has popped up. When I am on page 12 and try to go to page 11, a completely new, irrelevant page pops up ,with no indication of how to get to page 11. Makes the site extremely difficult to use.
    I only see two pages in this thread, having set my preferences to display 100 posts per page. It is very much easier to read the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by A1Sailor View Post
    I only see two pages in this thread, having set my preferences to display 100 posts per page. It is very much easier to read the forum.
    Please help the uninitiated. Where do I find "preferences"?

Please help the uninitiated. Where do I find "preferences"?
    Sorry, not preferences - click "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) then scroll down to near the bottom of the page and change from 10 to 100 posts per page. I think "default" is 10.
    Then "Save changes" at the very bottom of the page.
    I find it makes the forum much more readable/enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by rotrax View Post
    There is no problem with a boat like that.

My comment was clear:- " without substantial drainage capability ".

With drainage capability and shear, little water would stay aboard.

But BS's post just said he had designed a boat with 4 inch bulwarks and some shear. No mention of deck drainage.

His anecdote re asking a designer and getting the answer he posted may or may not be true.

I certainly don't know, but it seems strange that he would receive such an answer from a good designer or naval architect.

Not that I am suggesting he is line shooting, but he appears evangelistic enough about his origami steel yachts to embellish the facts a little.

IMHO, of course...………………….
    When did I ever advocate 4 inch bulwarks with no drainage scuppers? You are putting words in my mouth, because you have nothing else to a disagree with.
    And you call ME a liar?
    How big does a scupper have to be to deal with 5 litres of water? Are my 2 1/2 inch by 4inch ones , per side, not big enough to deal with 5 litres of water, in your "Precisely "engineered" calculations?

Sorry, not preferences - click "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) then scroll down to near the bottom of the page and change from 10 to 100 posts per page. I think "default" is 10.
    Thanks. Done that . Seems to have worked. Great!

At last, something useful to come out of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by newtothis View Post
    At last, something useful to come out of this thread.
    Do you have a steel boat? Show us some pictures of your steel boat ,and give us a rundown of all the ocean crossings you have made, over how many decades, in your steel boat. Tell us how many dozen of them you have put together with your own hands.
    Or are you just another plastic boat owner coming to a steel boat discussion to jeer and taunt about things you know nothing about? Or are you irritated that ANY discussion is not all about plastic boats? Or do you really expect a discussion about steel boats to give you tips on plastic boats?
    No, you wont find anything useful on that subject here. That is not what this thread is all about.
    Next time ,read the title of a thread before you partake in one, with such dense expectations.
    Jeeze!

Page 12 of 129 FirstFirst ... 278910111213141516172262112 ... LastLast