Page 13 of 151 FirstFirst ... 3891011121314151617182363113 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelboats

Default Re: Steelboats

Quote Originally Posted by rotrax View Post
    And a steel boat in Evans bay marina is rusting to bits. It wont be restored, it is too far gone.

Neglected boats die, Brent, made from all sorts of materials.

You only have direct experience of your sailing area, with relativly few boats in use, and a short season. You perhaps dont realise just how many yachts-GRP yachts at that-are in use 12 months of the year in the UK. Sail Training vessels with students doing RYA courses are going 24/7/365 round here-and, AFAIK, all use GRP boats.

The winds in Portsmouth Harbour last Thursday were 32 knots, higher in the Solent and at sea. Not uncommon here either.

Look, mark and inwardly digest what I said earlier:- " For most leisure boaters, steel is a maintenance liability. "

It specificaly targets leisure boaters. Not full time livaboards and long term cruisers.

A steel boat left tied up in a Marina for a long period will fare far worse in my experience than a GRP one.

As the really rusty one in Evans Bay Marina clearly shows, and the several I spotted recently in Portsmouth Harbour. Out of 12, 4 were really bad, bad enough for me to suggest they have little future as leisure vessels.

As I have told you before, I own a steel boat and a GRP boat. I speak with direct experience. I know the benifits and the shortcomings of both.

What this experience has taught me is that in NZ where I keep the steel boat, it is very suitable for the conditions encountered there. Strong, basic, and simple. By comparison, little infrastructure for leisure boating and repair.

However, it would not be as suitable for the sailing I do in and around the UK and Europe. For many reasons.

So, lets agree, its horses for courses. You are convinced that your choice of material and build method is best-for your specific use.

I am convinced that GRP is a far better material for most LEISURE boaters. It is better for their specific use.

It may mean that Marina's are full of GRP boats that dont go far. So what. That is not your problem in any way, is it?

I, and many other contributors on here are aware that more GRP boats circumnavigate than steel ones.

So, GRP cant be that bad can it..........................................
    Low maintenance plastic boat! In completely sheltered water, zero swell, on soft mud, breaking up under it's own weight!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Brent Swain; 08-12-18 at 06:20.

More low maintenance plastic!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
    Low maintenance plastic boat!
    I’ve no idea what point you are making. Any boat that’s abandoned ends up looking like a wreck. So what?
    Semper aliud

Quote Originally Posted by john_morris_uk View Post
    I’ve no idea what point you are making. Any boat that’s abandoned ends up looking like a wreck. So what?
    The quoted post implied that only happens to steel boats.

Really? The best I can say about that interpretation of the post you are referring to and your reaction is ‘opinions differ’.

Which boat will look clean and sparkling after a few minutes with a pressure washer?
    Semper aliud

South Oxfordshire, Gosport and Wellington New Zealand.

It was my post Brent, from a long time ago, not john morris uk's post.

If you read my post again, I implied no such thing. I specifically said "For leisure boaters , steel is a maintenance liability. " I still believe this to be true-after a hard day today in Evans Bay Boatyard, Wellington NZ removing the windows in my steel boat prior to rectifying the corroded apertures.

Any neglected vessel will suffer badly from being abandoned, as the two you posted clearly show.

The vessels I mentioned in my old post were not yet abandoned. Last time I went up the top end of Portsmouth harbour one had gone, one looked better, two were still on the slippery slope of being uneconomical to make good. In my club in Portsmouth Harbour there are over eighty GRP boats, many from the mid seventies. Some owners are now in their 80's, not sailing or maintaining much, but their GRP boats are still looking good and giving good service as weekend cottages. None are wrecks-the club wont have wrecks in the marina-but are still looking OK for almost 45 years old. Some have faded gelcoat, red goes pink, blue goes chalky and white loses its gloss. Many are lifted and put in the yard for the winter and the weekend cottage ones still look OK underneath and require no more than a scrub and coat of antifoul.

Horses for courses Brent. Steel is a strong durable material, simple to work with.

It has shortcomings in some areas, excels in others.

The same as GRP.

Only in your mind, Brent. The rest of posters here accept that GRP has maintainance too. Just that steel has potentially far greater problems and that is reflected in how few there are about compared with GRP.

You have a point of view, unfortunately you have stated it over and over again, with a very narrow range of examples to 'prove' your points, so naturally people get irritated, especially when you imply they are idiots to choose GRP and are at risk of dying if they go outside the marina.
    As for not attacking posters, you have done it frequently, rather than argue the point in a rational manner.
    Last edited by DownWest; 08-12-18 at 07:21.

Can anyone show where I suggested that steel is the only option for marina queens , and occasional weekend use? I have repeatedly stated that plastic is best for such use , (which you never read ) but steel is far better for full time cruising, as a way of life, use, but not as good as plastic ,for occasional weekend toy use, as you imply. Yes, plastic can and is used or offshore cruising ,but steel is much safer, and less maintenance in that use, and thus a better choice.
    Heyerdahl's Kon Tiki was used for an eastern Pacific crossing, but that fact did not automatically make it the ideal vessel for the job of making such a crossing.

Ask any survivor of any collision caused sinking of a plastic boat, if the toughness of steel matters.
    Last edited by Brent Swain; 08-12-18 at 23:42.

South Oxfordshire, Gosport and Wellington New Zealand.

Can anyone show where I suggested that steel is the only option for marina queens , and occasional weekend use? I have repeatedly stated that plastic is best for such use , (which you never read ) but steel is far better for full time cruising, as a way of life, use, but not as good as plastic ,for occasional weekend toy use, as you imply. Yes, plastic can and is used or offshore cruising ,but steel is much safer, and less maintenance in that use, and thus a better choice.
    Heyerdahl's Kon Tiki was used for an eastern Pacific crossing, but that fact did not automatically make it the ideal vessel for the job of making such a crossing.

Ask any survivor of any collision caused sinking of a plastic boat, if the toughness of steel matters.

So Brent, in your tiny steel based mind, you are happy to deride and belittle THOUSANDS-perhaps hundreds of thousands-of GRP boat owners by calling them Marina Queens and owners of Toy Boats?

For your information-but you know this already-more GRP boats are involved currently in serious voyages world wide than steel boats.

Now describe these world girdling men and women for us. We know what you think of their chosen vessels, but I am sure they would be pleased to hear what the worlds leading expert on cruising and living aboard steel boats has to say about them.

How many more times must I tell you how impressed I am with your ability to build a steel yacht on a beach or in a field for next to nothing and go sailing and living aboard in it. Well done, you also have a tough strong vessel that is ideal for your use.

But not everyone wants a boat like yours, for many reasons. I certainly don't, the steel one I have is labour intensive enough thank you.

So stop boring the arse off us and give it a rest.

Your boats are a universal panacea and the best sailboat ever, I know this because for the last two years you have not stopped telling us they are...…………………………….

My current boat is my third offshore boat. My first , was designed by a world famous designer, and tank tested in the Davidson lab , in New York, one of the top tank testing facilities in the world.
    It was a piece of crap. My own improvements were a huge improvement over what the original designer drew. So I designed my next boat myself ,a far better boat .
    My current boat I also designed myself ,an even greater improvement. After 34 years and several Pacific crossings in her, as well as mostly full time cruising in BC waters the rest of that time, there is very little I would change in her, and if I won $millions in the lottery, I wouldn't change boats. Most people I have built boats for, feel the same, and generally hang on to them for decades, including those who could afford any boat, certainly a stock plastic boat. Many have upgraded from stock plastic boats.

So you say I should say they are pieces of crap, to appease you, and not upset anyone? How may designers will say what they are putting down on a drawing board is all wrong, just to appease you, and not upset you? ( Man, what an over inflated ego you have!) If they believed that, don't you think they would change what they are putting down on a drawing board? How dense would one have to be, to not get that ?

If I believed what I am designing is wrong, don't you think I would do it differently? How dense does one have to be, to not figure that out?

I cannot tell a lie ( as you suggest I should) .My boats are as well designed as I believe they can be. If I believed otherwise, don't you think I would design them otherwise?

I cant understand why you have so much trouble grasping the last line. The concept doesn't appear all that difficult.
    I have never claimed my boats are a universal panacea for everyone.Those are your words, not mine. I have just listed the advantages for my particular use ,and for those with a similar use. Your suggestion that listing any advantages for any boat, amounts to calling that boat a panacea for all boaters, would make us all guilty of that , in your tunnel vision, "either or ", way of thinking.

Thanks for reminding me why I got out of New Zealand, even tho I could have legally stayed indefinitely.( scary thought)
    Last edited by Brent Swain; 09-12-18 at 07:32.

Page 13 of 151 FirstFirst ... 3891011121314151617182363113 ... LastLast