Page 132 of 136 FirstFirst ... 3282122127128129130131132133134135136 LastLast
Results 1,311 to 1,320 of 1352

Thread: Steelboats

Default Re: Steelboats

It’s not the material it’s the design

Quote Originally Posted by Wansworth View Post
    If you are commenting on my last post then I have seen quite a few French designs for amateur/ home build and they are not pretty. A friend that used to sail with me on seeing a French steel boat with davits remarked that it looked more like a wheelbarrow than a boat, he was correct.

Exactly.......remember”Jessica” three masted gaff rigged schooner ,perfect ,Hull was steel.Steel can attract people who seem to think the hull and deck is the most expensive bit of a boat a bit like ferro cement.

Quote Originally Posted by john_morris_uk View Post
    Van de Stadt don’t build boats. They’re designers. Perhaps you’d like to link to one of their origami designs?

Strongall are not a major builder and you’ve proved my point. If the design and build techniques were so wonderful, major yards would jump at the idea and build boats and make money. They don’t which makes one question the truth of some of the claims you make.

Some interesting and sensible discussions from people who may know what they are talking about here: https://www.boatdesign.net/threads/t...that-is.34211/
    Strongall is still making them. Van de Stadt origami boats are plentiful. What stops yards from making more, is dinosaur thinking among both builders and buyers .
    Read more at http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread...EDmQdl6OApt.99
    In what part of my post did I say Van de Stadt makes boats? Again, you are making up words to put in my mouth ,to give yourself something to argue against , the old "straw man argument" strategy . The Van de Stad 34 is an origami boat , which uses temporary outside frame supports , to make it easier , but the shape is defined by the plate shapes , origami style, especially in the ends.
    Had a virus planted on my computer here, so don't come here with my computer . Plenty of experts here , to fix that quickly in library computers. I guess that is why this site is blocked at the hotel.
    Last edited by Brent Swain; 30-07-19 at 19:08.

Quote Originally Posted by Fr J Hackett View Post
    If you are commenting on my last post then I have seen quite a few French designs for amateur/ home build and they are not pretty. A friend that used to sail with me on seeing a French steel boat with davits remarked that it looked more like a wheelbarrow than a boat, he was correct.
    Seen some pretty bad plastic ones, far easier to screw up than origami steel , especially without a $300,000 female mold.

Quote Originally Posted by Wansworth View Post
    Exactly ! Too many are designed by people with zero hands on steel boat building , maintenance , or cruising experience, going by the designer's pin striped suit , with gold cuff links, and not asking about his hands on, steel boat experience.

As I have said many times ( but some never read) Steel's advantages are only in long term ,full time cruising, as a way of life, not in spending 10 months a year in marinas being neglected , for which plastic is far superior ,which is why there are far more plastic boats ,and a far better market for them, for manufacturers . Get it? Yet? Read this until it sinks in, for however long that takes , for it to get thru the ivory.

More likely is that no-one wants a rusty minger.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
    Exactly ! Too many are designed by people with zero hands on steel boat building , maintenance , or cruising experience, going by the designer's pin striped suit , with gold cuff links, and not asking about his hands on, steel boat experience.
    Do they ask about stability calculations?
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post
    More likely is that no-one wants a rusty minger.
    "No-one" is a little unfair. A tiny minority of boat buyers want steel. A tiny minority of that tiny minority want origami steel. And a tiny minority of that tiny minority of that tiny minority want BS origami steel.

So it's not quite "no-one". Meanwhile Bavaria has sold around 50,000 yachts, every one GRP.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Page 132 of 136 FirstFirst ... 3282122127128129130131132133134135136 LastLast