Page 136 of 151 FirstFirst ... 3686126131132133134135136137138139140141146 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,360 of 1504

Thread: Steelboats

Default Re: Steelboats

Quote Originally Posted by SlowlyButSurely View Post
    I agree, he has developed a very interesting building method. Does it really matter that he is a strong advocate for his own boats? There's a raft of information on the internet about origami boats. Surely anyone with a genuine interest can make their own mind up without being critical on here.
    He's not a strong advocate of his own boats. He is an obnoxious critic of everyone else's boats.

South Oxfordshire, Gosport and Wellington New Zealand.

Quote Originally Posted by newtothis View Post
    He's not a strong advocate of his own boats. He is an obnoxious critic of everyone else's boats.
    And there, short and sweet, you have it!

Quote Originally Posted by SlowlyButSurely View Post
    I agree, he has developed a very interesting building method. Does it really matter that he is a strong advocate for his own boats? There's a raft of information on the internet about origami boats. Surely anyone with a genuine interest can make their own mind up without being critical on here.
    If I believed doing it the other way is better, don't you think I would be building them that way?
    If I have seen disasters in commercially made boats , you say "shame on me for warning people ,of things they are doing wrong"?
    Maybe your values ; not mine!

Quote Originally Posted by rotrax View Post
    I am not sure he is actually involved in a Dunning-Kruger effect.

He has developed an inexpensive method of boatbuilding in steel which suits some impecunious sailors.
    His designs look OK, when built to a good standard they appear safe and strong. As he insists on telling us, again and again, they are eminently suitable for a long term liveaboard life in out of the way places. Few argue with this conclusion.

What he is totally incapable of understanding is that 99.9% of those involved in sailing are supremely indifferent to this.

His continual beating of the same old tune on the same old drum is, IMHO, counter productive.

It puts some who might be interested off, through lack of fact and important stuff like stability curves.

When I said his intelligence was so low he could not recognise this, I had no idea where it would lead.

Frankly, I am amazed at the depth of expertese and knowlege on these pages...........................
    If you are indifferent, and have no interest ,they why do you come here to troll? Leave the site to those who have an interest.

South Oxfordshire, Gosport and Wellington New Zealand.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
    If you are indifferent, and have no interest ,they why do you come here to troll? Leave the site to those who have an interest.
    But I do have an interest. I am a steel boat owner.

Unlike you, I am not blind to the advantages of other materials for boatbuilding.

Unlike you I dont dog off other sailors choice of boatbuilding materials, I dont call occaisional sailors Marina Queens and I dont call well made substantial vessels constructed from GRP plastic boats.

All of the above causes myself and others on this site to become pissed off with your sanctimonious self interest.

You appear to be the Troll Brent, not I.

Unlike you, I am not blind to the advantages of other materials for boatbuilding.

Unlike you I dont dog off other sailors choice of boatbuilding materials, I dont call occaisional sailors Marina Queens and I dont call well made substantial vessels constructed from GRP plastic boats.

All of the above causes myself and others on this site to become pissed off with your sanctimonious self interest.

Hook, line, and sinker. Why not just let it rest? I think we can take it that the two of you will never be in wholehearted agreement

Quote Originally Posted by NormanS View Post
    Hook, line, and sinker. Why not just let it rest? I think we can take it that the two of you will never be in wholehearted agreement
    Yep, it was a case of leaving sleeping dogs lie.
    never confuse education with intelligence
    Sailing the Aegean

It is a shame that Rotrax and Brent are so far apart - if we could only bring them together for a chat over a few beers I am sure that they would become best mates in real life.

Nor am I. I have often said that plastic boats are ideal for what they are used for 95% of the time, the odd weekend cruise and the odd summer holiday. GRP stands for "Glass Reinforced PLASTIC!"
    Why? What did you think the P in GRP stands for?
    Marina Queen is the name of boats which rarely leave the marina , a completely different set of priorities from a full time cruiser. A friend said he has seen boats in a nearby marina change hands six times, without leaving the marina. Ideal for that is a completely different set of priorities from a full time, liveaboard cruiser.

Quote Originally Posted by Bajansailor View Post
    It is a shame that Rotrax and Brent are so far apart - if we could only bring them together for a chat over a few beers I am sure that they would become best mates in real life.
    No doubt. Left New Zealand decades ago, very happy to leave. Would buy him a beer, if he came here. Aint going there any more.

Page 136 of 151 FirstFirst ... 3686126131132133134135136137138139140141146 ... LastLast