Page 18 of 131 FirstFirst ... 813141516171819202122232868118 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelboats

Default Re: Steelboats

Quote Originally Posted by Rogershaw View Post
    I have a steel boat and most of the rust in my case is on deck not on the hull.

This is due to the sharper edges you get in the deck where the paint can crack and let water underneath.

Brent uses stainless steel to cover sharpish edges which can overcome the problem to some extent.

If money was no problem I would have a boat built from cupronickel that does not need any painting at all not even anti fouling.

To me the next best is a steel hull with an aluminium deck and superstructure.

Don't forget the cost of the hull and deck is only a smallish part of the cost of a boat what ever the material the bull is made from.

One of the advantage of GRP boats is that once you have the mold the production of lots of similar hull size and shape is quite quick and with internat molded sittings.

Its batch production that brings the cost of GRP boats down.

Wood, steel, aluminium and ferro are all one off type production with hand built internal fitting out.
    Some good points here. I suppose one cld also use titanium if sufficiently flush

Detailing, design and time seem to be key with steel. Also, I recall you putting up some pics of yours after it took a hell of a pasting and it seemed to survive very well indeed.

On the dirty British coaster we had a constant battle with rust and always admired the Dutch especially the barges that had rust under control ..

Around the end of the 19 century, there was a racing boat in the big class made of, I think, cupro-nickel on iron frames. Very thin skin and rivited. Prob was, they were not aware of the galvanic issues and it had to kept out of the water between races as it virtually fizzed when in salt water and would have dissolved in short order if left in for any time.

As for Titanium, read the book about the building of the SR-71 Blackbird (Skunk Works) if you think that is an easy option

Quote Originally Posted by DownWest View Post
    Around the end of the 19 century, there was a racing boat in the big class made of, I think, cupro-nickel on iron frames. Very thin skin and rivited. Prob was, they were not aware of the galvanic issues and it had to kept out of the water between races as it virtually fizzed when in salt water and would have dissolved in short order if left in for any time.

As for Titanium, read the book about the building of the SR-71 Blackbird (Skunk Works) if you think that is an easy option
    Was that Defender, a Nathanael Greene Herreshoff build for the 1895 AC? It had bronze plating on steel frames to the waterline and aluminium above. I recall Herreshoff knew all about the saltwater galvanic issues but were happy if Defender lasted until the end of the event.

And she did the deed by winning the 1895 AC before fizzing away into the sea!

I think it was built in UK, but would need to 'refresh' my memory. NGH's boat does sound a galvanic nightmare, but it lasted for the job.

Shameless cut and paste from Wikipedia:

Defender was the victorious United States defender of the tenth America's Cup in 1895 against challenger Valkyrie III.[2] Defender was designed by Nathanael Greene Herreshoff and built by the Herreshoff Manufacturing Company in 1895. It was Herreshoff's second victorious America's Cup defender design.

Builder: Herreshoff Manufacturing Company
    Launched: 1895
    Broken up in 1901

Defender was a sloop with all-metal construction: steel, aluminum, and manganese bronze. It was owned by William Kissam Vanderbilt, Edwin Dennison Morgan and Charles Oliver Iselin, and skippered by Henry C. Haff.

Defender defeated the New York Yacht Club's Vigilant then went on to defend the cup against British keel cutter Valkyrie III. Lord Dunraven of the Valkyrie alleged cheating by the Defender's crew.

Following the contest, Defender was towed to the residence of C. Oliver Iselin in New Rochelle, New York where it remained docked for four years without sailing. In 1899 J. Pierpont Morgan and W. Buttler Duncan rebuilt Defender to race trials against the America's Cup defense candidate, Columbia.

The yacht was towed to Herreshoff's Bristol yard for restoration to enable it to race in the selection trials for the 1899 defence. Following the selection trials, Defender returns to its mooring and was finally broken up in 1901.

South Oxfordshire, Gosport and Wellington New Zealand.

Quote Originally Posted by SlowlyButSurely View Post
    It all depends on your priorities.
    And there you have it.

If you are worried about sinking, going aground in big surf, hitting freighters, whales, sunken containers and steel barges, there can only be one choice.

If on the other hand you are a realist and know the statistical possibilities of the above disasters happening and don't want to worry about corrosion, you choose something other than steel and keep top safety equipment to hand.

Not that top safety equipment is redundant on a steel boat-the odd one has been known to go to the bottom you know...……...

Quote Originally Posted by rotrax View Post
    And there you have it.

If you are worried about sinking, going aground in big surf, hitting freighters, whales, sunken containers and steel barges, there can only be one choice.
    Rubbish, loads of people cruise successfully long distance in grp boats as well

GHA
    How long have you been in Bruce's fettling your lacework cruiser? Are you now yearning for something in, ahem, plastic?

Quote Originally Posted by DownWest View Post
    GHA
    How long have you been in Bruce's fettling your lacework cruiser? Are you now yearning for something in, ahem, plastic?
    Ages the cost of neglected maintenance (and no great rush plus laziness plus working slower than a sloth on prozac) , a factory built boat with loads of design flaws and not knowing more about what makes a low maintenance steel boat which it will be soon with nothing bolted through , no wood touching steel. All stuff Brent knows and has talked about, wish I knew that a decade and a half ago
    Also some hefty changes to the boat to make it simpler and stronger which would be near impossible in grp without loads of money rather than some welding rods & paint & time.
    Don't really fancy plastic, too much of a worry off the beaten track. Well, some days but that would be a cop out, sort the boat once then the maintenance gets so much easier which is evident from the little bits sorted over the years. Drifting round the solent with maybe a week in france in the summer than plastic for sure!.

Whats a lacework cruiser?
    Last edited by GHA; 12-12-18 at 09:40.

Page 18 of 131 FirstFirst ... 813141516171819202122232868118 ... LastLast