Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelboats

Default Re: Steelboats

Quote Originally Posted by Wansworth View Post
    ....Fertan was an initial error ....
    Curious, can you say why? I've used Fertan as a rust killer and found it reasonably effective.

Fertan was suggested by the builder as a cheaper alternative to shot blasting .I found after about five years especially on the deck I needed to stat again with the painting in a big way so de iced to shot blast and repaint.

>No heavy displacement boats of any material are heavy displacement.

Heavy and Ultra-Heavy Displacement Hulls
    With Displacement/Length ratios of 360 plus, ultra-heavy displacement hull styles have fewer devotees these days, though for passionate cruising traditionalists it's de rigueur. Heavy displacement sailboats of this type will have a full (or long) keel, which will bring with it some benefits - and some significant limitations.

The difference is GRP boats have a fin keel and heavy displacement boats have a long keel or long keel with cutaway forefoot, ours was filled with lead. Fully loaded our 38 foot steel ketch weighed 15 tons.

Quote Originally Posted by KellysEye View Post

Heavy and Ultra-Heavy Displacement Hulls
    With Displacement/Length ratios of 360 plus, ultra-heavy displacement hull styles have fewer devotees these days, though for passionate cruising traditionalists it's de rigueur. Heavy displacement sailboats of this type will have a full (or long) keel, which will bring with it some benefits - and some significant limitations.

The difference is GRP boats have a fin keel and heavy displacement boats have a long keel or long keel with cutaway forefoot, ours was filled with lead. Fully loaded our 38 foot steel ketch weighed 15 tons.
    Once again a bit of nonsense. You really do seem to have no understanding of the subject. There are many long keel heavy displacement boats with GRP hulls and lead keels, mostly built in the 1960s to 1990s and some are still built today. There are also heavy displacement boats with fin keels and steel boats with fin keels.

While heavy displacement long keel boats are popular with some long distance cruisers, they are in a minority as very few have been built in the last 30 years so anybody wanting to go long distance sailing with a boat built since about 1990 will almost certainly have to buy a fin keel boat.

So your statement about the "difference" is just not supported by the evidence.

In say a 15 ton 40 footer a steel boat wil have more of its weight distributed through out the hull with maybe only 3 or 4 tons of ballast in the keel ,whereas maybe a grp boat of the same displacement will have more weight in the keel and in that way behave differently.

>> There are many long keel heavy displacement boats with GRP hulls and lead keels, mostly built in the 1960s to 1990s and some are still built today. There are also heavy displacement boats with fin keels and steel boats with fin keels.

So in your previous view there are no heavy displacement boats but now there are.

Quote Originally Posted by KellysEye View Post
    >> There are many long keel heavy displacement boats with GRP hulls and lead keels, mostly built in the 1960s to 1990s and some are still built today. There are also heavy displacement boats with fin keels and steel boats with fin keels.

So in your previous view there are no heavy displacement boats but now there are.
    First PLEASE use the "Reply with Quotes" function because I do not understand the point you are trying to make. What you write does not connect with anything because you have just preceded it with random sentences. If you use the proper function then it shows exactly what the original post says, who said it and your response so the reader has a chance of understanding your comment. I have no idea how you can say what is in your post as nowhere have I (nor anyone else) said "there are no heavy displacement boats" - so who and what are you replying to?

There is no point in trying to enter into any discourse with you until you are able to follow forum conventions and express clearly what you want to communicate.

Quote Originally Posted by Wansworth View Post
    In say a 15 ton 40 footer a steel boat wil have more of its weight distributed through out the hull with maybe only 3 or 4 tons of ballast in the keel ,whereas maybe a grp boat of the same displacement will have more weight in the keel and in that way behave differently.
    A fifteen tonne boat with only 3 or four tonnes in the keel doesn't sound like its within the normal ratio for an ocean going cruising boat. I appreciate that stability comes from form and ballast, but that ratio is a little on the low side by most people's standards and expectations.

ergo your comment that it will behave differently would be certainly true, but I suspect that the owner would be less than happy with the performance and comfort of said boat.
    Semper aliud

I think you will find that many oldish cruising boats aka Hillyards maybe only had 33% ballast ratio.The higher ratios made for boats quick to right but not so comfortable I don’t have any data but an all time classic cruising boat was the Spray and she didn’t have a very high ballast ranting and my steel cruising boat designed by Alan Pape had 33% relying on form stability instead of a lump of ballast on the end of a keel

My Van de Stadt was designed in 1977. The design weight is 14.5 tonnes with 6 tonnes of lead in the keel. She has a fin and skeg hull with 2.2m draft. She is made of GRP. She has a theoretical 41% ballast ratio but with inevitable stores onboard that is not the same in the real world. We normally hit the scales at +18t. She never rounds up when sailing. She is fast when compared to other more modern yacht being used as liveaboards here in the Caribbean. Even loaded up she sits above her designers original marks as she was designed for living aboard. We see a few steel boats here in the Caribbean but not many. They are not that popular and they all seem to be slow. Of the few we have come across on-route, we sail right past even when they are longer than us. There seem to be few really good designs of steel boat. I guess if there were there would be a lot more of them. They might be good when you hit a reef but I can think of no other benifits of steel. I suspect I am not alone with this view or there would be a lot more steel boats about. There is enough to do to keep a liveaboard boat in good condition without the added headache of terminal corrosion.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast