Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 92

Thread: Steelboats

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    South Oxfordshire, Gosport and Wellington New Zealand.
    Posts
    6,757

    Default Re: Steelboats

    Quote Originally Posted by geem View Post
    My Van de Stadt was designed in 1977. The design weight is 14.5 tonnes with 6 tonnes of lead in the keel. She has a fin and skeg hull with 2.2m draft. She is made of GRP. She has a theoretical 41% ballast ratio but with inevitable stores onboard that is not the same in the real world. We normally hit the scales at +18t. She never rounds up when sailing. She is fast when compared to other more modern yacht being used as liveaboards here in the Caribbean. Even loaded up she sits above her designers original marks as she was designed for living aboard. We see a few steel boats here in the Caribbean but not many. They are not that popular and they all seem to be slow. Of the few we have come across on-route, we sail right past even when they are longer than us. There seem to be few really good designs of steel boat. I guess if there were there would be a lot more of them. They might be good when you hit a reef but I can think of no other benifits of steel. I suspect I am not alone with this view or there would be a lot more steel boats about. There is enough to do to keep a liveaboard boat in good condition without the added headache of terminal corrosion.

    I have exactly the same sentiments, backed up by the direct experience of currently owning both a steel and a GRP yacht.

    I have no doubt whatsoever-as you have clearly " attacked " steel yachts-that Brent will be along shortly to put us both right............................................. .

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Solent
    Posts
    504

    Default Re: Steelboats

    Quote Originally Posted by rotrax View Post
    I have exactly the same sentiments, backed up by the direct experience of currently owning both a steel and a GRP yacht.

    I have no doubt whatsoever-as you have clearly " attacked " steel yachts-that Brent will be along shortly to put us both right............................................. .
    So why on earth did you buy a steel boat?

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    South Oxfordshire, Gosport and Wellington New Zealand.
    Posts
    6,757

    Default Re: Steelboats

    Quote Originally Posted by SlowlyButSurely View Post
    So why on earth did you buy a steel boat?

    Because it was a real bargain.

    Made from Corten Steel to a Hartley design by a very good welder, fitted out nicely with a sensible interior it was fully equipped and had been used as a liveaboard. First Mate and I day sail it when we are in NZ. When we return in November we shall have it lifted, antifouled, do a bit of cosmetic work and replace the windows.

    Then, work done, the Marlborough Sounds!

    At the exchange rate at the time-2014- it cost 4,000. It had an inflatable and outboard, liferaft and epirb, microwave, cooker, califont and electric heads. Spinnaker, four headsails, roller boom reefing, lots of cordage, solar power and a gas barbie on the rail.

    Not bad for a fully equipped 32 foot yacht. After cleaning-that took a week-we lived aboard in the Marina for six weeks and day sailed regularly.

    Now the boat is reliable and well set up, it is a cheap toy and a very usefull fishing platform.

    The window apetures are rusting, as is the transom where the cockpit drains from through the gas locker. The forward hatch leaks in one corner.

    When these issues are addressed in November/December this year she will be well up together-and for not much money.

    For 4 months playtime every year, four thousand pounds was the right money, warts and all!
    Last edited by rotrax; 03-05-18 at 08:20.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Emsworth Hants
    Posts
    11,868

    Default Re: Steelboats

    >First PLEASE use the "Reply with Quotes" function because I do not understand the point you are trying to make. What you write does not connect with anything because you have just preceded it with random sentences. . I have no idea how you can say what is in your post as nowhere have I (nor anyone else) said "there are no heavy displacement boats" - so who and what are you replying to?

    I think posting a whole post is waste of space, > was used when the Internet and Web first came into existence and nobody complained then. All you need is the key point/s to answer a post, as above. There are two posters who wrongly said there are no heavy displacement boats Motor_Sailor and Peter Cooper look through the thread and you will see that, I am surprised you missed them.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    5,214

    Default Re: Steelboats

    Quote Originally Posted by KellysEye View Post
    >First PLEASE use the "Reply with Quotes" function because I do not understand the point you are trying to make. What you write does not connect with anything because you have just preceded it with random sentences. . I have no idea how you can say what is in your post as nowhere have I (nor anyone else) said "there are no heavy displacement boats" - so who and what are you replying to?

    I think posting a whole post is waste of space, > was used when the Internet and Web first came into existence and nobody complained then. All you need is the key point/s to answer a post, as above. There are two posters who wrongly said there are no heavy displacement boats Motor_Sailor and Peter Cooper look through the thread and you will see that, I am surprised you missed them.
    No. Neither of them said that which would be obvious if you quoted their posts properly and in full so as to comprehend the meaning. You are either trolling because that is what you do or you are deliberately misinterpreting others so as to cover up the ludicrous statement you originally made in a vain attempt to avoid looking foolish.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    31,969

    Default Re: Steelboats

    Quote Originally Posted by KellysEye View Post
    >First PLEASE use the "Reply with Quotes" function because I do not understand the point you are trying to make. What you write does not connect with anything because you have just preceded it with random sentences. . I have no idea how you can say what is in your post as nowhere have I (nor anyone else) said "there are no heavy displacement boats" - so who and what are you replying to?

    I think posting a whole post is waste of space, > was used when the Internet and Web first came into existence and nobody complained then. All you need is the key point/s to answer a post, as above. There are two posters who wrongly said there are no heavy displacement boats Motor_Sailor and Peter Cooper look through the thread and you will see that, I am surprised you missed them.
    So why are you using an old protocol that nobody else uses. Man used to carve signs on cave walls but we no longer do that.

    SO USE THE CORRECT PROTOCOL to avoid misunderstanding.

    The protocol also means that if you are responding to a specific point made by one poster you quote from his post, editing it to remove what is not relevant to your point. You do not have to repeat the whole post - that is what the edit function is for.

    I have no idea from your post who you were referring to so this just adds to the confusion.

    If you want to be taken seriously then follow the protocols and clearly explain the point you are trying to make.

    Nobody else seems to have the same difficulty as you.

    I did not miss anything. Neither of the posters said what you claim they said, so did you just make it up? Seems you also need to read and understand what other people write.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    West of Scotland
    Posts
    2,937

    Default Re: Steelboats

    Quote Originally Posted by KellysEye View Post
    >First PLEASE use the "Reply with Quotes" function because I do not understand the point you are trying to make. What you write does not connect with anything because you have just preceded it with random sentences. . I have no idea how you can say what is in your post as nowhere have I (nor anyone else) said "there are no heavy displacement boats" - so who and what are you replying to?

    I think posting a whole post is waste of space, > was used when the Internet and Web first came into existence and nobody complained then. All you need is the key point/s to answer a post, as above. There are two posters who wrongly said there are no heavy displacement boats Motor_Sailor and Peter Cooper look through the thread and you will see that, I am surprised you missed them.
    Perhaps you would be good enough to show me where I said that there are no heavy displacement boats?
    I merely pointed out that your knowledge of boat design is completely wrong and gave a couple of examples to prove it.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    West of Scotland
    Posts
    2,937

    Default Re: Steelboats

    Quote Originally Posted by KellysEye View Post
    >First PLEASE use the "Reply with Quotes" function because I do not understand the point you are trying to make. What you write does not connect with anything because you have just preceded it with random sentences. . I have no idea how you can say what is in your post as nowhere have I (nor anyone else) said "there are no heavy displacement boats" - so who and what are you replying to?

    I think posting a whole post is waste of space, > was used when the Internet and Web first came into existence and nobody complained then. All you need is the key point/s to answer a post, as above. There are two posters who wrongly said there are no heavy displacement boats Motor_Sailor and Peter Cooper look through the thread and you will see that, I am surprised you missed them.
    I should also say that in the early days of the internet people would always send the minimum number of characters because disk space was very expensive and line speeds were very slow.
    Things have moved on considerably since then as have procedures on forums.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Solent
    Posts
    504

    Default Re: Steelboats

    Quote Originally Posted by rotrax View Post
    Because it was a real bargain.

    Made from Corten Steel to a Hartley design by a very good welder, fitted out nicely with a sensible interior it was fully equipped and had been used as a liveaboard. First Mate and I day sail it when we are in NZ. When we return in November we shall have it lifted, antifouled, do a bit of cosmetic work and replace the windows.

    Then, work done, the Marlborough Sounds!

    At the exchange rate at the time-2014- it cost 4,000. It had an inflatable and outboard, liferaft and epirb, microwave, cooker, califont and electric heads. Spinnaker, four headsails, roller boom reefing, lots of cordage, solar power and a gas barbie on the rail.

    Not bad for a fully equipped 32 foot yacht. After cleaning-that took a week-we lived aboard in the Marina for six weeks and day sailed regularly.

    Now the boat is reliable and well set up, it is a cheap toy and a very usefull fishing platform.

    The window apetures are rusting, as is the transom where the cockpit drains from through the gas locker. The forward hatch leaks in one corner.

    When these issues are addressed in November/December this year she will be well up together-and for not much money.

    For 4 months playtime every year, four thousand pounds was the right money, warts and all!
    So you have an excellent blue water cruising boat ready to go for 4k. Many people have ended up owning a steel boat this way when they discover you can get a lot of boat very economically because of many people's fear of rust.

    Many of the advantages of steel are not apparent until you go cruising off the beaten track. For example, I met a man last year whose grp boat was being lifted into its cradle and one of the pads was misaligned resulting in a crack in the hull which took a month to get repaired. If you are living aboard this is a serious inconvenience. This kind of thing just doesn't happen with a steel boat.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    South Oxfordshire, Gosport and Wellington New Zealand.
    Posts
    6,757

    Default Re: Steelboats

    Quote Originally Posted by SlowlyButSurely View Post
    So you have an excellent blue water cruising boat ready to go for 4k. Many people have ended up owning a steel boat this way when they discover you can get a lot of boat very economically because of many people's fear of rust.

    Many of the advantages of steel are not apparent until you go cruising off the beaten track. For example, I met a man last year whose grp boat was being lifted into its cradle and one of the pads was misaligned resulting in a crack in the hull which took a month to get repaired. If you are living aboard this is a serious inconvenience. This kind of thing just doesn't happen with a steel boat.

    No. Not a cruising boat for First Mate and I.

    It requires shore power to work the fridge, its really only a powered coolbox on 12v. It is slow, turns and tacks slowly and has vertical steps to access the accommodation, a small cockpit with tiller steering and no autopilot. It is underpowered with a Bukh DV20.

    Compared to our GRP motorsailer it is not in the same league. By comparison it is camping on water.

    All the shortcomings could be addressed with time and money, but First Mate and I have physical shortcomings due to worn out bodies which mean that our GRP boat, an Island Packet SP Cruiser fitted with an 8KW Genset and extra 40 litre freezer compartment, walk round bed and easy on/off when alongside is the ideal boat for us.

    Apart from the rust mentioned earlier, the Hartley is fine. Dry inside, all internal surfaces were covered with what appears to be black bitumastic paint after build in 1986. The bilge only gets a bit of rainwater from the leaky front hatch. It is basically a sound, simple and strong boat, but I dont think we shall be going blue water in her.

    I have agreed with Brent that what you state about the suitability of steel for off the beaten track cruising is correct.

    He, however, continues with his inverse snobbery that is founded on the premise that " If it aint steel its crap! "

    The keel cant come off our GRP boat, it is heavy, has huge water and fuel tanks, all the bells and whistles and is by far the best compromise First Mate and I could find to suit our specific requirements.

    It just cost too much-but I would say that, would I not...................................

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to