Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelboats

Default Re: Steelboats

Quote Originally Posted by rotrax View Post
    No. Not a cruising boat for First Mate and I.

It requires shore power to work the fridge, its really only a powered coolbox on 12v. It is slow, turns and tacks slowly and has vertical steps to access the accommodation, a small cockpit with tiller steering and no autopilot. It is underpowered with a Bukh DV20.

Compared to our GRP motorsailer it is not in the same league. By comparison it is camping on water.

All the shortcomings could be addressed with time and money, but First Mate and I have physical shortcomings due to worn out bodies which mean that our GRP boat, an Island Packet SP Cruiser fitted with an 8KW Genset and extra 40 litre freezer compartment, walk round bed and easy on/off when alongside is the ideal boat for us.

Apart from the rust mentioned earlier, the Hartley is fine. Dry inside, all internal surfaces were covered with what appears to be black bitumastic paint after build in 1986. The bilge only gets a bit of rainwater from the leaky front hatch. It is basically a sound, simple and strong boat, but I dont think we shall be going blue water in her.

I have agreed with Brent that what you state about the suitability of steel for off the beaten track cruising is correct.

He, however, continues with his inverse snobbery that is founded on the premise that " If it aint steel its crap! "

The keel cant come off our GRP boat, it is heavy, has huge water and fuel tanks, all the bells and whistles and is by far the best compromise First Mate and I could find to suit our specific requirements.

It just cost too much-but I would say that, would I not...................................
    So you are comparing a 300k boat with a 4k boat and find that the 300k boat is more comfortable!

If you don't go cruising in the steel boat you probably won't ever appreciate the advantages and will continue to gripe about the disadvantages. As Brent says a grp boat would suit you better. But can you get an equally capable grp boat for 4k?

South Oxfordshire, Gosport and Wellington New Zealand.

Quote Originally Posted by SlowlyButSurely View Post
    So you are comparing a 300k boat with a 4k boat and find that the 300k boat is more comfortable!

If you don't go cruising in the steel boat you probably won't ever appreciate the advantages and will continue to gripe about the disadvantages. As Brent says a grp boat would suit you better. But can you get an equally capable grp boat for 4k?

Pardon?

Who is griping-or making comparisons! I am stating facts.

I bought a cracking boat for the money. I am well pleased. I will be even more pleased when I get her looking better and the leak fixed.

I am well past retiring age with pretty seriously damaged knees, First Mate has a hip in need of replacement.

We came to sailing late and have found, by actually doing as much sailing as our bodies will allow, a boat that we can cruise and live aboard for five months in comfort.

It is not the Hartley, which is a simple basic boat , but is a lot of boat for the money.

If we were young again-fat chance-the Hartley would certainly do the job-and do it well.

It does require far more cosmetic attention than the IP, but then it ismuch older.
    Last edited by rotrax; 04-05-18 at 16:14.

Pardon?

Who is griping-or making comparisons! I am stating facts.

I bought a cracking boat for the money. I am well pleased. I will be even more pleased when I get her looking better and the leak fixed.

I am well past retiring age with pretty seriously damaged knees, First Mate has a hip in need of replacement.

We came to sailing late and have found, by actually doing as much sailing as our bodies will allow, a boat that we can cruise and live aboard for five months in comfort.

It is not the Hartley, which is a simple basic boat , but is a lot of boat for the money.

If we were young again-fat chance-the Hartley would certainly do the job-and do it well.

It does require far more cosmetic attention than the IP, but then it ismuch older.
    I understood this to mean that you were making a comparison between the two boats:

"Compared to our GRP motorsailer it is not in the same league. By comparison it is camping on water."

Read more at http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread...bemjE85s6KI.99

SBS You seem to be missing the point. He has a very well equiped GRP boat and a dirt cheap steel boat. So he has experience of both forms of construction.

Not that long ago, mentioned on this site,was a 36 (38?)ft steel yawl for sale. Pretty boat and round bilge construction with extra thickness for high latitude cruising.Think it had circumnavigated. People questioned it's condition as an old steel boat. But, a member knew the boat and said it was in good condition and the owners were giving up sailing due to age.
    It did not reach the 8K reserve on the bay. That must have been a result of the hull material. It came with everthing ready to go..

I understood this to mean that you were making a comparison between the two boats:

"Compared to our GRP motorsailer it is not in the same league. By comparison it is camping on water."

Read more at http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread...bemjE85s6KI.99

It was a factual comparison.

The simple steel Hartley IS like camping on water whereas the IP is as comfortable as home.

The price difference, to some extent, supports this fact.

I have exactly the same sentiments, backed up by the direct experience of currently owning both a steel and a GRP yacht.

I have no doubt whatsoever-as you have clearly " attacked " steel yachts-that Brent will be along shortly to put us both right............................................. .
    And this would be a factual gripe?

Quote Originally Posted by DownWest View Post
    SBS You seem to be missing the point. He has a very well equiped GRP boat and a dirt cheap steel boat. So he has experience of both forms of construction.

Not that long ago, mentioned on this site,was a 36 (38?)ft steel yawl for sale. Pretty boat and round bilge construction with extra thickness for high latitude cruising.Think it had circumnavigated. People questioned it's condition as an old steel boat. But, a member knew the boat and said it was in good condition and the owners were giving up sailing due to age.
    It did not reach the 8K reserve on the bay. That must have been a result of the hull material. It came with everthing ready to go..
    But the point is that he hasn't experienced the major benefits that a steel boat can bring for liveaboard cruising off the beaten track. For marina-based weekend sailing a grp boat suits most people far better. This is the point that Brent was trying to make and some seem to find difficult to grasp.

The price of old steel yachts is governed by supply and demand; nobody wants them so the price is low. This is great if you want a blue water capable boat all set up and ready to go for 4k. Try doing that in grp!

Getting a steel boat for 4k then having to spend time touching up rust shouldn't really come as a great surprise ...

But the point is that he hasn't experienced the major benefits that a steel boat can bring for liveaboard cruising off the beaten track. For marina-based weekend sailing a grp boat suits most people far better. This is the point that Brent was trying to make and some seem to find difficult to grasp.

The price of old steel yachts is governed by supply and demand; nobody wants them so the price is low. This is great if you want a blue water capable boat all set up and ready to go for 4k. Try doing that in grp!

No, I think we have all grasped what Brent has-regularly-said, and we have accepted he is right. Brent seems unable to accept the reverse, that thousands of people use GRP for the same job he uses steel.

He seems unable to grasp that most boatowners choose not to build a steel yacht for little money despite the security given by the material of construction.

He appears not to be able to come to terms with those who dont choose his alternative lifestyle. Those who due to family and business commitments only use their boats for a holiday and weekends he belittles, calling them " Marina Queens "

Well, sailing encompasses all of society in my direct experience. A boat owner is surely free to choose his boat and then use it as he sees fit, without snide remarks on internet forums about their poor choice of build material and limited use of their vessel.

I just love being at sea, on the water, as often as I can cook it. I do have other responsibilities, some for family members who need support plus First Mate and I have physical problems and increasing age to cope with. This means breaks or reduced sailing areas if hospital appointments require attendance.

One thing I never do is critisise others boats, or their chosen material/method of construction. I might say-"wood-I bet that keeps him busy" but that is hardly a critisism.

I am lucky to have a high quality Motorsailer that is perfect for two semi crippled oldies. Especially it ease of cleaning and low maintenance requirements.

I am even luckier to have a very useful steel boat in another location, cost less than many motorcars and does the job very well.

I am often reminded about the reply the American chat show host and motorcycle collector Jay Leno-he has a large and very exclusive collection-gave when asked " Jay-what is you favourite motorbike? "

The reply was a classic.

" The one I am riding when asked that question! "

Ergo-like boats, they are ALL good.
    Last edited by rotrax; 06-05-18 at 09:16.

Quote Originally Posted by GHA View Post
    Getting a steel boat for 4k then having to spend time touching up rust shouldn't really come as a great surprise ...

It did not...........................

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast