Page 73 of 127 FirstFirst ... 2363686970717273747576777883123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelboats

Default Re: Steelboats

Quote Originally Posted by PeteCooper View Post
    You have made many ridiculous claims on this thread but this has to be the funniest.
    In any demolition derby all entrants, winners or losers, get damaged. To say that people won't because they will lose is irrelevant - it is because they don't want to damage their boat in any way.
    Although you seem to wear the memories of crashing into things as a badge of honour most people try to avoid running into things,
    But thanks for the laugh.
    The point made is no one has the confidence to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
    You actually believe that people should take you on in a demolition derby? As I said in a demolition derby all contestants are damaged. Why would any sane person want that?

Even if I was sailing a steel boat I wouldn’t do it.

It’s a stupid suggestion.

It must be a bit difficult for Brent to keep making his phantasmagorical claims about the superiority of steel with so many people citing examples of GRP boats happily surviving collisions.

The truth is that surviving collision with rock, reef or ship etc is not the only measure of whether a boat is fit for purpose but it seems to be the completely dominant one in his arguments.
    Semper aliud

You would have a far better chance of surviving ,than with a plastic boat cut in half in mid ocean at night.I have invited plastic boat oners to a demolition derby, to conclusively compare my steel boat with their plastic ones ( preferably Lloyds aproves ones, or Lloyds approved wooden ones) No takers says it all.
    Some tests do exist; for example this fibreglass boat remained afloat after a gas explosion:
    https://youtu.be/Yxm3uMy6MPI

My suspicion is that a steel vessel would be ripped open like a sardine can and sunk, but a comprtive test would confirm or deny?

Who on earth would want to get involved? It is not like it is a scientific test. So just another one of your fantisies, so you can quote it as more 'proof' of your ideas. You do have good ones on the corrosion preventions, but they are only of use to a very few who want to build steel yachts. Not to mention, that your so called 'origami' method is limited to certain lengths.

Quote Originally Posted by DownWest View Post
    Not to mention, that your so called 'origami' method is limited to certain lengths.
    And shapes...However inconvenient truths get ignored or shouted down in exactly the way that he accuses anyone who tries to take a more balanced view about the pro's and con's of steel.

PS: For the record, I think steel hulled boats can be strong and excellent blue water craft. However they are definitely not a panacea and have faults that are difficult to cope with (and faults that are sometimes insurmountable.)
    Semper aliud

Quote Originally Posted by john_morris_uk View Post
    And shapes...However inconvenient truths get ignored or shouted down in exactly the way that he accuses anyone who tries to take a more balanced view about the pro's and con's of steel.

PS: For the record, I think steel hulled boats can be strong and excellent blue water craft. However they are definitely not a panacea and have faults that are difficult to cope with (and faults that are sometimes insurmountable.)
    What ""difficult, or insurmountable"" faults are those?

Quote Originally Posted by DownWest View Post
    Who on earth would want to get involved? It is not like it is a scientific test. So just another one of your fantisies, so you can quote it as more 'proof' of your ideas. You do have good ones on the corrosion preventions, but they are only of use to a very few who want to build steel yachts. Not to mention, that your so called 'origami' method is limited to certain lengths.
    For the average cruiser, there is no point in lengths over 40 feet, so who cares? I certainly have no interest in hanging the ""oversized boat"" millstone around anyone''s neck.
    Bigger boats can have additional framing added after pulling the hull together, with a huge saving in time and expense. A freind did that with a 60 footer, no problems. That was in the 80s, and she still sails.

What ""difficult, or insurmountable"" faults are those?
    When a given shape has the track record of good passage times, aesthetics and ease of building, why would you want to do it the hard way, when there is no justfication for doing so?
    A friend built a round stern Brewer design. Cost him $8K to have the stern plates rolled. Took a couple of 45 gallon drums of filler to fair her. Took him 2 years to get the hull together , a job I have done in 2 days. With his hull together, he bet a friend I was buiding a 36 for, who would get in the water first . We had just got the first plate delivered. That was February . We launched that April, and went for our first sail in May. He headed south for Mexico that fall.
    So why bother with much harder to build shapes? For what benefit?
    Seems a lot of trouble, time, and expense to go to for a slight change in shape that is irrelevant in the real world.That is what changes a 6 month project into a ten year one, for no benefit.
    Last edited by Brent Swain; 10-02-19 at 00:55.

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    Some tests do exist; for example this fibreglass boat remained afloat after a gas explosion:
    https://youtu.be/Yxm3uMy6MPI

My suspicion is that a steel vessel would be ripped open like a sardine can and sunk, but a comprtive test would confirm or deny?
    With 1/8th inch deck plate and 3/16th hull plate, which do you think would give?
    A lady had that experience in Comox. Came home after dark, and used a bic lighter to find the keyhole.Boom !It bulged the much thinner deck and cabin, but no dammage to the much thicker hull, as is the case in my boats, and the one in the video.
    Last edited by Brent Swain; 10-02-19 at 00:21.

Page 73 of 127 FirstFirst ... 2363686970717273747576777883123 ... LastLast