Page 75 of 127 FirstFirst ... 2565707172737475767778798085125 ... LastLast
Results 741 to 750 of 1261

Thread: Steelboats

  1. #741
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    West of Scotland
    Posts
    2,981

    Default Re: Steelboats

    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
    I believe the only thing which would be damaged on my boat would be a bent bow pulpit, easily repaired in an hour, with my onboard welder. Maybe not even that, as it would collide with a standard, thin walled ""Yotti tinfoil"" one, as on most plastic boats.
    The point is not the derby, it is demonstrating how little real confidence critics have in the truth of their postings.
    As with so many of your response you are completely missing the point. Most people try to avoid any damage on their boat whether minor or not.

    Yet again you resort to insulting behaviour with your comment 'Yotti tinfoil' implying that any body with a grp yacht is wrong.

    if you had read my comment earlier the only time I have hit another boat was when my grp bow hit the steel pushpit on another yacht. I never found a mark on my boat but the pushpit was destroyed.

  2. #742
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,289

    Default Re: Steelboats

    Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    We got stuck on the stability calcs but this should be easier. The principle of dynamic similitude is indeed useful here, as is the principle of Archimedes. A 36’ GRP boat is a similar shape to yours, so should displace the same quantity of water and lower itself a similar distance following the addition of the same load. No?

    Turning to Archimedes; your 36’ boat will have a LWL of around 31’ or 9.5m? Its average waterline beam will be around 5’ 6” or thereabouts, i.e. 1.65m? So its waterline cross section will be something like 15.7 square meters (9.5m x 1.65m).

    11,500lbs is 5.2 tonnes, which Archimedes tells us should push the vessel down 33cm (5.2/15.7), i.e. around 13”.

    Now I understand hull shape will reduce that a bit, but to just 1” at the waterline?
    1,250 lbs per inch according to the graph in Skene's Elements of Yacht design .Makes well over 6,000 lbs for 6 inches on a 36 footer.

  3. #743
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,289

    Default Re: Steelboats

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteCooper View Post
    As with so many of your response you are completely missing the point. Most people try to avoid any damage on their boat whether minor or not.

    Yet again you resort to insulting behaviour with your comment 'Yotti tinfoil' implying that any body with a grp yacht is wrong.

    if you had read my comment earlier the only time I have hit another boat was when my grp bow hit the steel pushpit on another yacht. I never found a mark on my boat but the pushpit was destroyed.
    You bent a thin walled pushpit on a stock boat, and that makes your hull strong?

  4. #744
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,289

    Default Re: Steelboats

    11,500lbs is 5.2 tonnes,
    That number was a typo, which my critics claim to have never done.
    1250 lbs per inch, now corrected. Still, over 6 inches means well over 6,000 lbs.

  5. #745
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,289

    Default Re: Steelboats

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteCooper View Post
    As with so many of your response you are completely missing the point. Most people try to avoid any damage on their boat whether minor or not.

    Yet again you resort to insulting behaviour with your comment 'Yotti tinfoil' implying that any body with a grp yacht is wrong.

    if you had read my comment earlier the only time I have hit another boat was when my grp bow hit the steel pushpit on another yacht. I never found a mark on my boat but the pushpit was destroyed.
    No, I am sugesting that the thin wall stuff commonly uised on stock boats is not as good as sch 40 SS pipe.
    The rest of your post is just another made up, straw man arguement.

  6. #746
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,289

    Default Re: Steelboats

    Quote Originally Posted by Achosenman View Post
    I think his posts have effectively shattered what little credibility he may have retained in some quarters.

    The man is simply unable to recognise facts or reality. He is the Canadian sailing equivalent of “ the mad cat lady”
    TBH the “ah but, no but, yeah but” floundering defence of the untenable position he has got himself into is getting uncomfortable to watch. He has demonstrated he knows nothing about GRP and even less about logic and deductive reasoning.
    My ways of doing things has let me semi retire in my mid 20s ', while my critics strive for freedom 55, or later. And you say I have it all wrong?
    So do tell me ,how many of YOUR steel boat designs have cruised a combined over 350,00 miles with no serious problems. How many dozen have YOU put together. At what age did YOU semi retire? How many decades have YOU lived aboard your steel boats, and for how many decades have YOU maintained them? How many money saving ideas have YOU posted? How many ideas YOU have posted have reduced cost and time by over 90%?
    Last edited by Brent Swain; 10-02-19 at 16:36.

  7. #747
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,289

    Default Re: Steelboats

    Quote Originally Posted by rotrax View Post
    Another non scientific pronouncement from Mr Empirical.

    Is he squirming now he has seen GRP being given grief? Suggesting that because it was a race boat without 6,000 lbs of crap inside it survived?

    Get a life Brent-GRP as used in boats is very unlikely to " Shatter ". It can be pierced, it can be dented in the act of being pierced. It can separate at joints. But shattering-that is about the last thing it is likely to do.

    I actually know one of the guy's who was on board at the time.

    Very embarrassed about it he was too............................................... ......
    Your theory didnt work out so well for the Sleavin family ,nor for Hal Roth, when he blew aground near Cape Horn, an older Spencer 35, far more heavily built than todays boats', seriously shatterd in critical places , nor the many who went aground at Cabo in 82, nor the kid whos boat was sunk by a whale recently in Mexico , leaving him in a dinghy at night, nor the guy whos engine came loose in another Spencer 35, off the great barier reef ,punching a hole in his hull, sinking it quickly, or the guy off Costa Rica who hit a container, sinking his boat quickly, or Nigel Calder ,who punched a hole in hitting a sand bar in mild conditions, the list goes on and on..

    Yes GRP is far stronger than wood but its strength is grossly overestimated, when you say they ""cant be holed."" That kind of disinformation is dangerous, false advertising. Killed off most of the Sleavin family .

    Your suggestion that adding 6,000 lbs of dead weight inertia would have no effect, is ludicrous.

    I'm now enjoying the ""Great Canadian snow removal ""plan . Stay in Mexico until it melts . For you guys, I guess it is Spain. Ünless you are tied down by boat payments, moorage payments, etc , from not following my advice. I guess you wont be robbing my sun, here in Mexico.
    Last edited by Brent Swain; 10-02-19 at 16:35.

  8. #748
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    West of Scotland
    Posts
    2,981

    Default Re: Steelboats

    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
    The rest of your post is just another made up, straw man arguement.
    So you bang on about anecdotal evidence being better than everything else but when I say something that I can guarantee is true(I do not tell lies) you dismiss as being made up.
    Or do you dismiss it because it is contrary to your tunnel vision view of things?

    When you are ready perhaps you can apologise for calling me a liar?

  9. #749
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    174

    Default Re: Steelboats

    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
    My ways of doing things has let me semi retire in my mid 20s ', while my critics strive for freedom 55, or later. And you say I have it all wrong?
    So do tell me ,how many of YOUR steel boat designs have cruised a combined over 350,00 miles with no serious problems. How many dozen have YOU put together. At what age did YOU semi retire? How many decades have YOU lived aboard your steel boats, and for how many decades have YOU maintained them? How many money saving ideas have YOU posted? How many ideas YOU have posted have reduced cost and time by over 90%?
    I don't want, need nor like steel boats for my sailing. If I intended to venture way down south or way up north I'd probably look at Ovni. I've been told steel is too much hassle from people I respect and who's judgement I trust. From your offerings, they can be pig ugly to boot.

    How many millions did you have in your account when you retired? Don't worry you needn't answer, you had diddly squat. What you call retirement we call being "on the dole"
    Your inability to find gainful employment is a similar situation many feckless dreamers have found themselves in. I will admit, not many wear it as a badge of honour, so kudos.

    You may know a bit about steel boats, (even a blind squirrel finds the occasional nut) but you demonstrate zero knowledge about modern GRP materials, strengths, weaknesses and uses. The old inch thick polyester resin with simple glass fibre matting is nothing like the choices available and in use by designers today. But that doesn't stop you pontificating ad nauseam about a subject you have repeatedly demonstrated your ignorance in, apart from the fact that it outsells your creations by a factor of many thousands to one.

    I have a test for you. Instead of a demolition derby, how about we get a tank constructed of GRP to boat building standards. (Modern) We then fill it with water, you jump in and hold your breath. We screw the lid down and you break out of the fragile plastic by shattering it from inside in-time to prevent yourself from drowning...I'd pay to see that.

  10. #750
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    South Oxfordshire, Gosport and Wellington New Zealand.
    Posts
    7,577

    Default Re: Steelboats

    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
    Your theory didnt work out so well for the Sleavin family ,nor for Hal Roth, when he blew aground near Cape Horn, an older Spencer 35, far more heavily built than todays boats', seriously shatterd in critical places , nor the many who went aground at Cabo in 82, nor the kid whos boat was sunk by a whale recently in Mexico , leaving him in a dinghy at night, nor the guy whos engine came loose in another Spencer 35, off the great barier reef ,punching a hole in his hull, sinking it quickly, or the guy off Costa Rica who hit a container, sinking his boat quickly, or Nigel Calder ,who punched a hole in hitting a sand bar in mild conditions, the list goes on and on..

    Yes GRP is far stronger than wood but its strength is grossly overestimated, when you say they ""cant be holed."" That kind of disinformation is dangerous, false advertising. Killed off most of the Sleavin family .

    Your suggestion that adding 6,000 lbs of dead weight inertia would have no effect, is ludicrous.

    I'm now enjoying the ""Great Canadian snow removal ""plan . Stay in Mexico until it melts . For you guys, I guess it is Spain. Ünless you are tied down by boat payments, moorage payments, etc , from not following my advice. I guess you wont be robbing my sun, here in Mexico.
    Reading the above shows that you have no idea about debate in a rational manner. You clearly state " You say they cant be holed " Well, Brent, my old mate, I actually said " It can be pierced, it can be dented in the act of being pierced "

    AFAIK, if you pierce something, it makes a hole.

    I saw a steel boat in Evans Bay Marina here in Wellington today. It has a large hole in the foredeck. The hole is serious corrosion, due I suspect to dissimilar metals plus rainwater and seawater making a galvanic cell.

    The anchor windlass is about to fall through it.............................................

    The list goes on and on!

Page 75 of 127 FirstFirst ... 2565707172737475767778798085125 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to