Page 78 of 108 FirstFirst ... 2868737475767778798081828388 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelboats

Default Re: Steelboats

Quote Originally Posted by Wansworth View Post
    My steel boat whilst moored up in a marina was rammed by a 24 foot yacht and the stem head made a dent and a small hole in the topsides.
    Would have had a huge hole, had she been plastic. Critics here would say steel attracted the collision, and it was all your fault!

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    Hammered like that for 4 months! Wow, lots of people must have taken vids and the local yachting press must have penned stories of wonderment!

The trouble is, wonderment inevitably gives way to skepticism when grand claims are backed with little, or no data. To which end, my increasing sense is that your boats may be dangerous from a stability point of view. The GZ curve you posted - wherever it came from - was simply not credible, the ballast calcs are way off and there seems little intuitive recognition of safe loading.

No detailed plans have been posted and as far as I know your vessels have received no official certifications. Then there is the unlikely claim that a lawyer professionally advised that there was no need for liability insurance having been told a few reef yarns. Not to mention an attitude towards fire prevention, liferafts, etc., which ignores the lessons of history and good practice.

More recently, questions of steel maintenance are being lost in a haze of anti-capitalist, anarchistic rambles; ironically in this case, clearly made from shore side, not the clear blue sea. Such discussions should really be confined to the Lounge.

Genuinely wishing you all the best for wherever 2019 takes you.
    Ask the folks at Boca de Toro Panama, or the shipayard in Suva. Some also deny the holocast, with the same arguements. Did they fake the moon landing? Your kind of people!
    If every such incident was widely reported in the media papers and magazines would be as thick as a New York phone book, and they would quickly go bankrupt. Many stories and videos we see her are nowhere to be seen in the regular media and hard to find here.
    Stability curves were done by former critics. None has ever capsized. in over 350,000 miles of ocean cruising.
    You suggest every grounding results in major world wide media coverage?
    Would a doctor, having sailed from BC to New Zealand and back, take a boat he has sailed from BC to Mexico and Hawaii and back , around Cape Horn , and to the Aleutians , had she had stability problems? Then recommend another 36, Tagish, for a friends circumnavigation, after all that experiennce with the design. Search Tagish.
    Search Silas Crosby
    There goes your credibility!
    You want detailed plans ? Pay for them!

95% of small boat plans are""certified"" by no one ,except the designer.
    Boy , you must absolutely love EU bureaucracy in your daily life, being such an advocate for bureaucratic rules governing every ones life'! Or, are you such a bureuacrat yourself?
    Last edited by Brent Swain; 13-02-19 at 16:58.

Someone once said, "never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" You seem to fit the criteria perfectly.

A few impressions of some of the stuff posted gives me the impression of an unhappy old bloke trying to justify they way he chose to live his life.
    It seems as though he is doubtful about the situation he now finds himself in having got no close persons he can relate to. When he made those decisions all those years ago he did not think about how he would get on when old (how many of us did in our twenties).
    So if his dream of his perfect boat made of some wonder stuff is now found to be wanting then his life would seem to be not as fulfilled, thus he must defend his way and rubbish and dissenters.

South Oxfordshire, Gosport and Wellington New Zealand.

I have just finished reading Peter Ustinov's autobiography " Dear Me ".

On page 248, these words of his might be applicable to a regular poster here. They are:-

"His own evident lack of wit makes him impervious to the wit of others; his own inability to listen makes him immune to argument; his own tortuous train of thought wears down the opposition; his unnaturaly slow and often muddled delivery force quicker minds to function at a disadvantage, below their normal speeds.
    Whenever he is compelled to admit he does not know, he does so with an inflection suggesting it is not worth knowing."

Anyone come to mind?

Ustinov was, of course, writing about Senator McCarthy, the commie basher.

But, IMHO, its a good fit...............................

Back to boats . I find it amazing how many designers and most local builders use 1/8th inch plater for keels. Lead is almost always far more expensive than steel ,and using heavier plate, and less ballast for keels, is far easier to use and keep fair, as well as offering a much wider margin, should corrosion problems appear.
    Perhaps designers like the numbers, in terms of ballast ratio, for advertising, despite the difference between thin steel and thicker steel instead of more lead , has almost zero effect on performance .
    I use 1/4 inch plate on keels, half inch on the bottom and leading edges .
    Most comercially built sailboats around here use only 1/8th inch plate for keels, some even for keel bottoms. How "Professional""f them! Where's the logic?
    Last edited by Brent Swain; 13-02-19 at 16:44.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister E View Post
    A few impressions of some of the stuff posted gives me the impression of an unhappy old bloke trying to justify they way he chose to live his life.
    It seems as though he is doubtful about the situation he now finds himself in having got no close persons he can relate to. When he made those decisions all those years ago he did not think about how he would get on when old (how many of us did in our twenties).
    So if his dream of his perfect boat made of some wonder stuff is now found to be wanting then his life would seem to be not as fulfilled, thus he must defend his way and rubbish and dissenters.
    Alan Farrel died a couple of months short of 90. He lived the free cruising life all his life. In his 80s he decided he was getting too old for living on his boat ,and moved ashore, a ""big mistake"" he said, and got back on his boat as quickly as he could , finding shore living as boring as watching paint dry . He said if he had his life to live all over again, he would do exactly the same life style as he did.
    I feel the same . I had the free use a of a big house with all the luxuries, any time I wanted , for years ,but three days there, and I couldnt wait to get back on my boat. Last time I lived long term on land, was after losing my ferro boat on a reef in 1975. I was between boats. As soon as my new boat was barely liveable ,I quickly moved aboard.
    Here in Mexico, I am on land for 3 weeks, and despite the snow back home, I am looking forward to getting back aboard. 4 more days.
    When I was in my 20s, and talking about the cruising life ,people would say "Ya", thats OK now ,but what are you going to do when you are 40? They were well programed, by fear mongering employers and loan sharks.
    Sure glad I never bought it, or I would have spent my entire life working , in debt( never had a penny of bank debt in my life ) fearful of not doing exactly what everyone else is doing , being told what to do ( for the bankers and employers benefit, not mine).
    I suspect the latest gang of trolls here, are those who benefit from suckering others into playing their game, and those trying desperately to justify their own dead end, boring choices.
    When the mounties did pot raids on one island , the local chickens got so stressed, they stopped laying eggs. Those in commercial egg farms are cramped in body sized cages, to cramped to move ,but keep on laying. No stress, they just dont know anything else . Just like treadmill walkers.
    Last edited by Brent Swain; 13-02-19 at 16:36.

Quote Originally Posted by Achosenman View Post
    Someone once said, "never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" You seem to fit the criteria perfectly.
    Don't know why I am argueing with you. You fit the criteria perfectly , unless you consider being told what to do, for someine elses benefit ,your entire life ""Wise.""
    I dont !
    An old Scot I met , on my first Pacific crosssing ,told me of the day he quit his job, to go cruising .His boss said ""I think man was meant to serve.""
    He replied "" dont know who has been serving me. I feel like I have been screwed."
    It went right over his boss""s head, without connecting .
    Last edited by Brent Swain; 13-02-19 at 17:01.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
    Ask the folks at Boca de Toro Panama, or the shipayard in Suva. Some also deny the holocast, with the same arguements. Did they fake the moon landing? Those who said smoking is good for you? Your kind of people!
    If every such incident was widely reported in the media papers and magazines would be as thick as a New York phone book, and they would quickly go bankrupt. Many stories and videos we see her are nowhere to be seen in the regular media and hard to find here.
    Stability curves were done by former critics. None has ever capsized. in over 350,000 miles of ocean cruising.
    You suggest every grounding results in major world wide media coverage?
    Would a doctor, having sailed from BC to New Zealand and back, take a boat he has sailed from BC to Mexico and Hawaii and back , around Cape Horn , and to the Aleutians , had she had stability problems? Then recommend another 36, Tagish, for a friends circumnavigation, after all that experiennce with the design. Search Tagish.
    Search Silas Crosby
    There goes your credibility!
    You want detailed plans ? Pay for them!

95% of small boat plans are""certified"" by no one ,except the designer.
    Boy , you must absolutely love EU bureaucracy in your daily life, being such an advocate for bureaucratic rules governing every ones life'! Or, are you such a bureuacrat yourself?

Brent, this thread might have been about SteelBoats, but you have (as usual) turned it into about you and your rants about steel verses GRP. Nobody really cares about your constant repetition of the stories about the very few cases that you keep quoting as proof of your ideas, not to mention your frequent attacks on anybody who might just point out you are mistaken, or just plain wrong. It is getting very tedious reading about your 'crusade' to save people from risks that are very low in the real world.
    Get a grip on life, though it might be a bit late. Also, try and stay away from the wilder accusations that people who disagree with you might be holocaust deniers or don't believe in the moon landings.

Also, learn to use the quote bits, you have quoted yourself, but not. Bit confusing to readers. Though there can't be many left now.

By the way, some time back, you posted about a stability curve for your boat at 183. Then you said it was a typo. So, it is OK for you to make them , when they sound unlikely....

Page 78 of 108 FirstFirst ... 2868737475767778798081828388 ... LastLast