Page 79 of 136 FirstFirst ... 2969747576777879808182838489129 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelboats

South Oxfordshire, Gosport and Wellington New Zealand.

Default Re: Steelboats

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
    Would have had a huge hole, had she been plastic. Critics here would say steel attracted the collision, and it was all your fault!
    It is quite clear Brent, that you are losing the plot here. You see critics where others see a discussion.

The poster you replied to started this thread about his steel yacht he had built. See post #1. He has AFAIK, truthfully passed on the result of an incident and you are challenging him.

1. Do you think he was lying when he stated a 24 footer made a dent and a small hole in his steel boat?

2. If you believe he was truthful, why the antagonistic attack?

You have watched the video of the GRP boat crashing into the stone breakwater-why would a 24 footer make a huge hole in a GRP boat?

Please answer Brent; I and I have no doubt others following this can't follow your logic.

Back to boats . I find it amazing how many designers and most local builders use 1/8th inch plater for keels. Lead is almost always far more expensive than steel ,and using heavier plate, and less ballast for keels, is far easier to use and keep fair, as well as offering a much wider margin, should corrosion problems appear.
    Perhaps designers like the numbers, in terms of ballast ratio, for advertising, despite the difference between thin steel and thicker steel instead of more lead , has almost zero effect on performance .
    I use 1/4 inch plate on keels, half inch on the bottom and leading edges .
    Most comercially built sailboats around here use only 1/8th inch plate for keels, some even for keel bottoms. How "Professional""öf them! Where's the logic?
    With some having problems with corrosion in the bilge ,it does no harm to go for much thicker plate there as well. A big Part of the problem is lack of easy access. I elimineated the small lift panels for a one piece lift out floor, leaving the entire bilge open. I did the same with bunk tops making them a one piece lid ,hinged along the out side, with tie downs on the inside .Far less work to build, or replace.

¿Is someone here suggesting am laying on these Mexican beaches, wishing I was in a traffic lineup, going to work, or that I am wishing I had spent my life working, insytead of playing full time?

Quote Originally Posted by DownWest View Post
    Brent, this thread might have been about SteelBoats, but you have (as usual) turned it into about you and your rants about steel verses GRP. Nobody really cares about your constant repetition of the stories about the very few cases that you keep quoting as proof of your ideas, not to mention your frequent attacks on anybody who might just point out you are mistaken, or just plain wrong. It is getting very tedious reading about your 'crusade' to save people from risks that are very low in the real world.
    Get a grip on life, though it might be a bit late. Also, try and stay away from the wilder accusations that people who disagree with you might be holocaust deniers or don't believe in the moon landings.

Also, learn to use the quote bits, you have quoted yourself, but not. Bit confusing to readers. Though there can't be many left now.

By the way, some time back, you posted about a stability curve for your boat at 183°. Then you said it was a typo. So, it is OK for you to make them , when they sound unlikely....
    People who deny the obvoius need to be challenged
    183 degrees is 177 degrees measured from the other side. Your bringing that up, proves you are just one of the gang of trolls who have been constanly , anonymously hiding behind aliases, following me all across the internet, for years ,for lack of anything better to do.
    No , I made no claim that they are holcast deniers etc, another straw man arguement ( it was a question and comparison , did you not see the question marks) I just pointed out just how ridiculous, and similar their denial of reality is .
    Yes, people who deny reality ,because it contradicts their fantasy based theories, are wrong, period.

South Oxfordshire, Gosport and Wellington New Zealand.

[QUOTE=Brent Swain;6702356]

Yes, people who deny reality ,because it contradicts their fantasy based theories, are wrong, period.[/QUOTE

And, Brent, if the cap fits, bloody well wear it!

You have summed yourself up in that one line. Talk about an own goal..........................................

Somewhere there is a village missing an idiot.

¿Is someone here suggesting am laying on these Mexican beaches, wishing I was in a traffic lineup, going to work, or that I am wishing I had spent my life working, insytead of playing full time?
    I can't think that anybody here gives a toss how you pass your time. It's what you say that grates!

I do find a certain irony in your choice of material to built boats. If I had spent my working life in any part of the iron/steel production industry in order to support my family and supply you with the material for your boats only for you to denigrate my life choice, I would be quite justified in thinking of you as a selfish prat. To take that further most of the things that you use on your boat will have required working people and infrastucture to furnish you with even the most basic of needs. Yet you slate those very souls as "Going to a job they hate, to make money they dont need, to buy stuff they dont need, to impress people they don't like!" just to provide you with what you can't do without.
    I have no interest in your crusade regarding your choice of boat building material but on behalf of the greedy nit wits, as you would have it, that provide you with it, maybe you should do a bit of soul searching. Your chosen way of life is completely unsustainable without them.

With regard to this threads intent, I suspect it was a fishing trip in which you obediantly took the bait and opened with "Yes plastic boats are far better , for leaving on a mooring." I for one have enjoyed your mostly dim witted responses immensely, not for anything informative in a maritime sense, but in the same way that I view the Flat Earthers who childishly claim to be all over the globe!

The thread did prompt me to take a trip with Silas Crosby up the Slough (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-FcQMoOgGI) so has given me a glimpse of a tiny bit of Canada. I was suprised to see that your normal anchorage looks to be a mudflat at low tide. As a liveaboard that must be a bit incovenient when the tide is out.
    I also took up robertj's suggestion to take a look at Emerald Steel's offering on Youtube and found that very informative. What a fantastic couple extoleing the true value of a cruising life. Now there's a lady who can weld! Take a look. No unskilled birdshit welding there!
    You do appear to have some good ideas and seem quite inventive but your alienation skills are off the scale. We Brits are obviously quite a tolerant lot as you haven't been banned from this forum............................................. .................................................. ......yet!

As a post scipt, I note that a lot of responders present you with calculations based on your claims. I'm going to take it that your book allowed you to retire in your 20s. I did try to find a copy only to find that it is on Amazon Best Sellers list ranked at No. 7,237,107 and unavailable. Enjoy your retirement!
    I have absolutely nothing to say about anchors.

[QUOTE=myquest;6702652]I can't think that anybody here gives a toss how you pass your time.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __

What I am giving is what one can accomplish, in terms of early rertirement, by resourcefullness and practicality ,my life style being the result, an example,of what can be accomplished . No, you dont have to work 40 hours a week, until you are 65.That is an employers myth. Nice to se youth, working enough for a bit of money, then playing until it runs out. Much better values.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _

I do find a certain irony in your choice of material to built boats. If I had spent my working life in any part of the iron/steel production industry in order to support my family and supply you with the material for your boats only for you to denigrate my life choice, I would be quite justified in thinking of you as a selfish prat. To take that further most of the things that you use on your boat will have required working people and infrastucture to furnish you with even the most basic of needs. Yet you slate those very souls as "Going to a job they hate, to make money they dont need, to buy stuff they dont need, to impress people they don't like!" just to provide you with what you can't do without.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________
    I am making the most of what you produce, to drastically reduce my environmetal foot print, that being in direct porportion to how much money you go thru. Making the liveaboard lifestyle economically avaialble to my clients also drasticaly reduces their environmetal foot print, sometimes for life.
    This planet is finite.
    No, I dont feel guilty for not making more people , nor spending more, nor demanding more than I need.
    No, you dont have the right to tell us we should all make your choices, and let you tell us how to live our lives.
    Environmentaly, yours is completely unsustainable , and would take several more planets to sustain.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________
    I have no interest in your crusade regarding your choice of boat building material but on behalf of the greedy nit wits, as you would have it, that provide you with it, maybe you should do a bit of soul searching. Your chosen way of life is completely unsustainable without them.

With regard to this threads intent, I suspect it was a fishing trip in which you obediantly took the bait and opened with "Yes plastic boats are far better , for leaving on a mooring." I for one have enjoyed your mostly dim witted responses immensely, not for anything informative in a maritime sense, but in the same way that I view the Flat Earthers who childishly claim to be all over the globe!

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______
    Pretty ""dim witted"" to spend ones whole life working, destroying the planet we live on, like sitting on a branch while sawimg it off on the tree side, with little time for play.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________

The thread did prompt me to take a trip with Silas Crosby up the Slough (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-FcQMoOgGI) so has given me a glimpse of a tiny bit of Canada. I was suprised to see that your normal anchorage looks to be a mudflat at low tide. As a liveaboard that must be a bit incovenient when the tide is out.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________
    When the storm blows,it's sure nice to have had the opportunity to have walked around your boat at low tide and set your anchors real well, buried them. When keels bottom out ,no worries about dragging, advantages Steve enjoyed thoroughly in the Straits of Magellan, in storms .Ask him if he would have rather been in a single keeler there. Also. nice to walk ashore at low tide. Yes, some slight disadvantages ,but one client there, said he has watched boats in the marina change hands six times without leaving the marina, missing the point of owning a cruising boat. Such expensive habits destroy cruising time.
    I prefer the advantage of cruising, free time, over marina snobbery.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

You do appear to have some good ideas and seem quite inventive but your alienation skills are off the scale. We Brits are obviously quite a tolerant lot as you haven't been banned from this forum............................................. .................................................. ......yet!

As a post scipt, I note that a lot of responders present you with calculations based on your claims. I'm going to take it that your book allowed you to retire in your 20s. I did try to find a copy only to find that it is on Amazon Best Sellers list ranked at No. 7,237,107 and unavailable. Enjoy your retirement!
    Not on Amazon .I sell it by mail order
    Last edited by Brent Swain; 15-02-19 at 02:51.

[QUOTE=rotrax;6702534]

Yes, people who deny reality ,because it contradicts their fantasy based theories, are wrong, period.[/QUOTE

And, Brent, if the cap fits, bloody well wear it!

You have summed yourself up in that one line. Talk about an own goal..........................................
    Reality Is a hull and deck for $17 K, instead of the $250K my clients have been quoted from fabricating shops.
    Reality is over 40 years of trouble free ocean cruising in my designs, by people who couldnt afford such a custom built, new steel boat any other way .Reality is the excellent passage times Steve posted on Silas Crosby.The list goes on.

By the way, some time back, you posted about a stability curve for your boat at 183°. Then you said it was a typo. So, it is OK for you to make them , when they sound unlikely....
    The trolls are obviously getting desperate, when they have to dig up a typo from so many years ago, to find something to attack me with.

Page 79 of 136 FirstFirst ... 2969747576777879808182838489129 ... LastLast