Page 82 of 126 FirstFirst ... 3272777879808182838485868792 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelboats

Default Re: Steelboats

meanwhile, in alternative universe...

Hi
    My name’s Brent, and seeing as this is a thread about steel yacht design, I thought I’d offer up my two cent’s worth.
    I’ve been designing and building small steel yachts for a few decades now. You can read about them at my website and see the advantages they provide in terms of strength and low-cost construction.
    I know steel boats have a bit of a bad reputation, but I’ve come up with some techniques, particularly for rust protection, that have proved to be quite effective. If you’re interested I can provide further details.
    While not to everyone’s taste, I, and some of the people that have built from my designs, have found these to be sturdy vessels for long-term liveaboards and passage-makers in off-the-beaten-path areas. Steel can be forgiving and has proved so when some of my designs have ended up on lee shores and reefs. They’re also reassuring when offshore and concerned about running into semi-submerged objects or marine life.
    They’re not the fanciest of boats, and the engineers among you might baulk at the aesthetics of some of the welding, but I’ve found them strong and usable. I prefer low-tech but functional solutions and they’ve served me well.
    I chose to go off-grid and live a cruising life at an early age and this design has made this lifestyle possible. Again, not everyone’s choice, but it’s worked for me.
    Anyway, if you have any questions about steel construction, rust prevention or living on board on the cheap, fire away and I’ll share my experience.
    Brent

...it could have been so much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by newtothis View Post

Hi
    My name’s Brent, and seeing as this is a thread about steel yacht design, I thought I’d offer up my two cent’s worth.
    I’ve been designing and building small steel yachts for a few decades now. You can read about them at my website and see the advantages they provide in terms of strength and low-cost construction.
    I know steel boats have a bit of a bad reputation, but I’ve come up with some techniques, particularly for rust protection, that have proved to be quite effective. If you’re interested I can provide further details.
    While not to everyone’s taste, I, and some of the people that have built from my designs, have found these to be sturdy vessels for long-term liveaboards and passage-makers in off-the-beaten-path areas. Steel can be forgiving and has proved so when some of my designs have ended up on lee shores and reefs. They’re also reassuring when offshore and concerned about running into semi-submerged objects or marine life.
    They’re not the fanciest of boats, and the engineers among you might baulk at the aesthetics of some of the welding, but I’ve found them strong and usable. I prefer low-tech but functional solutions and they’ve served me well.
    I chose to go off-grid and live a cruising life at an early age and this design has made this lifestyle possible. Again, not everyone’s choice, but it’s worked for me.
    Anyway, if you have any questions about steel construction, rust prevention or living on board on the cheap, fire away and I’ll share my experience.
    Brent

Nice try..
    But..
    Fat chance
    You missed the bits where every alternative method of construction was trashed and any body designing, selling or owning GRP boats were called liars, cheats, con artists or just plain stupid.
    Brent does have a few good ideas, but they get lost in his constant wilder attacks on anybody who doesn't follow his creed. Not to mention the examples of 'proof' of his ideas/sales that are not anywhere like realistic.
    Last edited by DownWest; 22-02-19 at 19:40.

[QUOTE=rotrax;6710332]
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post

Again Brent, total BS.

Users of this forum dont need you giving unwanted advice. The advice I have most often seen on here is something like " For that money you could end up with a time and money pit. Buy something ready to use. " Please link where the advice you say has been given, because its a new one on me.

I remember a mouthy bloke like you being told by a fellow motorbike racer :- " You can be my sexual adviser. When I want your banned four letter word beginning with F advice, I shall ask for it! "
    Seeing how little cruising time they get, and how much working time they have to do to pay for it, it seems they need a lot of advice, for those who aspire to do more cruising and less working , from someone who has accomplished that since my early 20s, to the chagrin, and frustration of those who stand to profit by keeping them on the consumer treadmill as long as possible. Does the latter describe you?

Quote Originally Posted by newtothis View Post

Hi
    Brent

That is what I have been saying all along. ANY suggestion of ANY advantages of steel over plastic, automatically get a pile on attack by plastic advocates ,on most sites, except those with a lot of steel boat owners and builders, who have actual hands on experience with good steel boats.

Quote Originally Posted by DownWest View Post

. Should spend more time in the shed, where I am building a wooden boat
    You have my deepest sympathies!

[QUOTE=rotrax;6710466]
    Quote Originally Posted by NormanS View Post

You are quite right-it offers nothing at all regarding steel boats.

It was born out of total frustration with BS.

I do own a modest steel yacht-I was replacing the hatch yesterday after fettling the rusty mounting.

When its gone, I wont be having another.......................................
    Hatch coamings should be stainless, and hatches aluminium. Not a huge expense, for so little material.
    The guy who lost his plastic boat off Mexico to a whale collision, in the night, wont be having another plastic boat.

[QUOTE=rotrax;6710327]
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post

Well-another load of BS. BS now means Brent Swain.

What about the " Advice on here caused him to spend 14 years doing a boat "

Either I or you are telling lies, Brent.

I think the readers of these pages are experienced enough to make their minds up on that one Brent..............................

PS :-Look at your post 734 Brent " The south BC coast is littered with plastic hulls with holes in them. "

It took a Straw Man about two minutes to find that.

Apology Brent-it would be nice, but I have little hope!
    Go read the latest issue of Sail magazine, before you comment on its contents. Then tell the author he is wrong ,it didn't happen, because you know more about how he spent the last 14 years than he does.
    Yes ,the BC south coast is littered with abandoned plastic boats, a big political issue here. That is along way from the misquote distortion that EVERY bay is littered with them, as there are thousands of bays here.
    Last edited by Brent Swain; 22-02-19 at 21:23.

[QUOTE=Brent Swain;6711207]That is what I have been saying all along. ANY suggestion of ANY advantages of steel over plastic, automatically get a pile on attack by plastic advocates ,on most sites, except those with a lot of steel boat owners and builders, who have actual hands on experience with good steel boats.(IE metal boat society .origamiboats and facebook.)

If you have made some changes to a design, and are not sure where to put your ballast so she will float level, the solution is simple.
    Jack her up and put a piece of shaft under the keel at the designed Longitudinal centre of gravity. Move your ballast inside, fore and aft, until she rocks easily on the shaft. That is where your ballast should go.
    As most boats tend to squat , and go down by the stern when you load them up, slightly heavier in the bow is a good thing.
    Trim ballast?
    On a cruising boat, that is your tools, spare anchors , scuba gear, and any other heavy stuff

Another trick was just posted on the origami boats site for determining the centre of lateral resistance.
    Make up and ballast a model . Run a line from bow to stern with a ring on it. Tie a line to that ring and move it until she he stays broadside while being pulled sideways . That is your centre of lateral resistance. Modelers use it all the time. Far more reliable than the calculations normally used, which are abysmally naive

Page 82 of 126 FirstFirst ... 3272777879808182838485868792 ... LastLast