Page 84 of 136 FirstFirst ... 3474798081828384858687888994134 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelboats

Default Re: Steelboats

[QUOTE=rotrax;6710466]
    Quote Originally Posted by NormanS View Post

You are quite right-it offers nothing at all regarding steel boats.

It was born out of total frustration with BS.

I do own a modest steel yacht-I was replacing the hatch yesterday after fettling the rusty mounting.

When its gone, I wont be having another.......................................
    Zip cut the rusty steel out and replace it with stainless. I have done that, and its not a big job. Eliminates corrosion there permanently . Scrape the foam back 2 inches ,and jam some wet rags in there, while welding. Make sure you clean the burnt paint off, and epoxy it well, before putting the foam back.Make sure the foam you put back is closed cell; not all caned foam is.
    I heard Brnard eventually zip cut the mild steel fittings off Joshua ,and replaced them with welded down stainless, drastically reducing maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by DownWest View Post
    Nice try..
    But..
    Fat chance
    You missed the bits where every alternative method of construction was trashed and any body designing, selling or owning GRP boats were called liars, cheats, con artists or just plain stupid.
    Brent does have a few good ideas, but they get lost in his constant wilder attacks on anybody who doesn't follow his creed. Not to mention the examples of 'proof' of his ideas/sales that are not anywhere like realistic.
    Other materials and methods work well ,but for long term cruising as a full time life style, and for a one off, custom steel boat, or a home builder, mine are simply better, by a wide margin, for the reasons I have posted..
    The real life experiences I posted couldn't be more real. They are certainly more real than armchair theory.

Semi retiring and cruising mostly full time early in life, is easy. Reducing the relevance of money works, something I figured out at the age of 16.
    It also reduces the power over you ,of those who have money, which tics them off.( seeing someone with far less money, having more fun than them!)
    The average cost of moorage here is the same as the cost of cruising full time ,eliminating the need for moorage .
    The average cost of owning a car here is 2 or 3 times the cost of cruising full time, eliminating the need for a car.
    Ditto land rent, etc ,etc .
    Here , with our beaches l piled high with wood ,free for the taking eliminates heating costs .
    Lots of fresh water, free for the taking.
    Fishing, hunting and oysters and shellfish, free for the taking reduces food costs considerably.

South Oxfordshire, Gosport and Wellington New Zealand.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
    1.Full normal cruising speed.
    2. Panacea? I never made that claim. Another "straw man" arguement .Far better odds and far greater safety/ Absolutely !
    You say people like Moitessier, Knox Johnston , Slocum , Chay Blythe, Phillipoe Jeantot ,etc,etc ,and all the pre AIS singlehanders , should not have been allowed to sail singlehanded ? You say only extraverts should have been allowed to cruise?

Screw you!
    3. Simple solution to the English channel for people like me.
    Don't go there .
    Problem solved. I have a paradise to cruise in.
    Answers in numbers again Brent.

1:-YOU stated full speed, not normal cruising speed. Another typo perhaps........................

2:- Perhaps not directly, but we must draw from your rants about any boat not made from steel that that is what you believe.
    The SOLAS regulations-I wonder if you actually know what SOLAS means-are after many of the names you mention. But, if you read about Dame Ellen McArthur's circumnavigation records, she used a kitchen timer to wake her every 15 minutes.
    Now tell me where I suggested anyone should not be allowed to sail long passages singlehanded-I clearly did not. I did however, indicate-and I am indisputably correct-that ALL mariners should abide by the Internationally approved SOLAS rules.
    It is quite clear that you dont give a toss for them.

3:- I will be very happy for you to cruise in your paradise. Stay there so we dont have to put up with your pointless crusade for steel boats nearer at hand.
    It is a pointless crusade as anyone who is switched on to the advantages-and disadvantages-of steel boats will gravitate towards the steel boat info on social media anyway. The attacks-a favourite word of yours-you make on GRP boats, their owners and associated support enterprise does you no credit as it is mostly total BS.
    Stay in Comox, and be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by newtothis View Post
    Brent, my post, albeit wishful thinking, was to show how you could have addressed this. Instead, you've been the one constantly attacking other people's life choices and boat choices, then getting defensive when those who have chosen a different path to you have kicked back against your tirades. You assume everyone who does something other than what you do is a victim of advertising and a sucker for working a day job.
    If you'd stuck to just talking about what you know about steel boats, you might have got some respect. But your invective and dismissal of anything that is not BS has just painted you as a sad, delusional loser banging a drum that most people are not interested in.
    What I know about steel boats and cruising in general ,is how to do it mostly full time since ones 20s, which some here might just be trying to figure out, and others might not want them to figure out.

[QUOTE=Brent Swain;6712296]
    Quote Originally Posted by rotrax View Post

Zip cut the rusty steel out and replace it with stainless. I have done that, and its not a big job. Eliminates corrosion there permanently . Scrape the foam back 2 inches ,and jam some wet rags in there, while welding. Make sure you clean the burnt paint off, and epoxy it well, before putting the foam back.Make sure the foam you put back is closed cell; not all caned foam is.
    I heard Brnard eventually zip cut the mild steel fittings off Joshua ,and replaced them with welded down stainless, drastically reducing maintenance.
    Brent what part of " The old clunker just aint worth it " dont you understand. Its a cheap toy.

Just so you know, the previous owner had it wedged so far up his fundimental orifice that in two years he had only 3 prospective buyers view it. I was the last and have him less than half of what he was asking. If it had been a GRP boat, it would have been twice the asking price-$40,000 NZ Dollars. I gave $8,500 NZ Dollars. I would struggle to sell it for $12,000 after doing as you suggest, and I have continuously improved it over the 5 years I have owned it.

I have a fabulous boat in the UK and a cheap steel boat in NZ. Of course I could do all of your suggestions. It would undoubtedly lower the future maintenance requirements. But, it would cost some money-not much, but some-and time. At my age, time is in short supply.

But-it is not worth it financially.

You have told us lots of times that old GRP boats can be had for a song in BC.

Well, change GRP for steel and that is the case in NZ.

Steel boats do not have a high retained value. Fact.

That is what I have been saying all along. ANY suggestion of ANY advantages of steel over plastic, automatically get a pile on attack by plastic advocates ,on most sites, except those with a lot of steel boat owners and builders, who have actual hands on experience with good steel boats.
    Total, complete, utter BS. And I don't mean Brent Swain.

The opposite is true. ANY suggestion of ANY advantages of GRP over steel as a better choice of material for a long term cruiser, automatically get an attack by you.

That is what this thread is about. You fail to realise that GRP (or wood, or ferro, anything else) could be the best material for OTHERS who want to cruise long-term and long-distance.

You are not imaginative enough to realise that different people want and prioritise different things. Your priorities are not "correct" or "better" than anyone else's. They are just yours. Stop criticising and insulting people who don't want what you want.

[QUOTE=Brent Swain;6712296]
    Quote Originally Posted by rotrax View Post

Brent, when you say "zip cut" do you mean using a ZIP cutting disc in the angle grinder?

Other materials and methods work well ,but for long term cruising as a full time life style, and for a one off, custom steel boat, or a home builder, mine are simply better, by a wide margin, for the reasons I have posted..
    The real life experiences I posted couldn't be more real. They are certainly more real than armchair theory.
    Most of us here probably believe you have two out of three.

To be brutally honest, with absolutly no regard for your feelings and ready to piss all over your fireworks, any well found yacht with sound seakeeping, accomadation and a servicable rig will serve for the full time liveaboard lifestyle. I know this as two friends of mine, fellow Island Packet owners are currently doing just that.

Shock-Horror-in a GRP yacht!

The last two you have correct. Not possible to build a custom steel yacht out of anything else, and steel is good for home build.

But the many thousands doing what you have aspired to in yachts made of other materials than steel totally defeats your first statement. Which is BS.

[QUOTE=rotrax;6712319]

Brent what part of " The old clunker just aint worth it " dont you understand. Its a cheap toy.

Just so you know, the previous owner had it wedged so far up his fundimental orifice that in two years he had only 3 prospective buyers view it. I was the last and have him less than half of what he was asking. If it had been a GRP boat, it would have been twice the asking price-$40,000 NZ Dollars. I gave $8,500 NZ Dollars. I would struggle to sell it for $12,000 after doing as you suggest, and I have continuously improved it over the 5 years I have owned it.

I have a fabulous boat in the UK and a cheap steel boat in NZ. Of course I could do all of your suggestions. It would undoubtedly lower the future maintenance requirements. But, it would cost some money-not much, but some-and time. At my age, time is in short supply.

But-it is not worth it financially.

You have told us lots of times that old GRP boats can be had for a song in BC.

Well, change GRP for steel and that is the case in NZ.

Steel boats do not have a high retained value. Fact.
    Yes ,in the year and a half I spent in New Zealand, I did find "yotti culture" had a very high prevalence of "pretentiousness over practicality , " values. Snobbery outweighed the practical, to a huge degree.
    Friends, with their hearts set on a steel boat, after decades of cruising the Pacific in a plastic one, said they started looking in California, where they were extremely rare. As they moved northward , the further north they went, the more common steel boats became . In BC they were far more common and even more so in the rugged conditions of Alaska.
    They bought one of my 31s ,and sailed her to Turkey, and back to Florida. Mine get scooped up in a matter of days
    in Alaska, for a good price. If well done, my 36 footers here sell quickly for around $44k.
    I hear the east cost of the US is cluttered with abandoned plastic boats, which no one wants. Maybe that is a good place to shop for one.
    In San Francisco they are grinding them up to make concrete reinforcing.
    San Carlos near Guaymas Mexico has a yard full of around 300 of them, for real cheap.
    Nice jumping off spot for the Pacific.
    Last edited by Brent Swain; 24-02-19 at 23:07.

Page 84 of 136 FirstFirst ... 3474798081828384858687888994134 ... LastLast