Page 85 of 136 FirstFirst ... 3575808182838485868788899095135 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelboats

Default Re: Steelboats

[QUOTE=SlowlyButSurely;6712768]
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post

Brent, when you say "zip cut" do you mean using a ZIP cutting disc in the angle grinder?
    Yes . For bigger jobs, the steel cutting circular saw blades work well ,with little chance of staring a fire.Either way, I'd keep the hose and an extringuisher handy.

[QUOTE=rotrax;6712319][QUOTE=Brent Swain;6712296]

Brent what part of " The old clunker just aint worth it " dont you understand. Its a cheap toy.

Just so you know, the previous owner had it wedged so far up his fundimental orifice that in two years he had only 3 prospective buyers view it. I was the last and have him less than half of what he was asking. If it had been a GRP boat, it would have been twice the asking price-$40,000 NZ Dollars. I gave $8,500 NZ Dollars. I would struggle to sell it for $12,000 after doing as you suggest, and I have continuously improved it over the 5 years I have owned it.

I have a fabulous boat in the UK and a cheap steel boat in NZ. Of course I could do all of your suggestions. It would undoubtedly lower the future maintenance requirements. But, it would cost some money-not much, but some-and time. At my age, time is in short supply.

But-it is not worth it financially.

[Quote]
    For you, no. For others, with a longer term view, well worth it. You are not the only reader on this site.
    Kinda like the kid who complains the hot plate is burning his hand, but won't take his hand off the plate, and blames the hot plate for that.
    Your corrosion problems are the result of your own lack of action, so stop bitching about it, and blaming the material for your own laziness.

Quote Originally Posted by bbg View Post
    attack by you.

That is what this thread is about. You fail to realise that GRP (or wood, or ferro, anything else) could be the best material for OTHERS who want to cruise long-term and long-distance.

No, it is not, they are just mislead to believe it is.

When it comes to early retirement and max free time, learning how to do all your own boat work ,and build your own gear ,is very important. Regardless of hull material, learning to do your own metal work is well worth while. You will end up with far better gear, and be able to build more, in any anchorage anywhere. Anyone who can build a metal hull, can build his own sheet blocks , anchor winch , windvane , furler ,etc, etc.
    Cruising budgets die the death of a thousand cuts , piling up, no one expense seeming like much, but totaling a huge ,dream destroying number, in the end.
    The difference between a $2 sheet block, and a $40 one, doesn't seem like much ,but add up that difference, over most of what goes into a boat, and you have the difference between going cruising early and young, and sticking around for many more years paying for it .
    Last edited by Brent Swain; 24-02-19 at 23:25.

South Oxfordshire, Gosport and Wellington New Zealand.

Your corrosion problems are the result of your own lack of action, so stop bitching about it, and blaming the material for your own laziness.

But Brent-this clearly shows your fundimental problem.

I have NEVER bitched about the fairly small areas of corrosion on my steel Hartley. That is entirely down to your perception-you percieve any negative comment as an attack on steel boats, when, on this forum it has mostly been informed comment. Your attitude draws attacks, both on steel boats and you yourself.

I was aware of these when I purchased the vessel. The boat now looks pretty good now I have sorted out the rusty window apertures, a couple of holes in the cockpit and the front hatch surround. All these problems date from its build, in 1986. Done your way, it would have been fine.

It is a well equipped boat, liferaft, EPIRB, inflatable, outboard, cooker, fridge, microwave with oven and grill, shower and an electric toilet.

But, its not worth a light.

Fact.

As it is not a long term situation, I have made a decision on how I shall manage the boat while it is in my ownership.

Just as you manage the looking after and making bits for your boat. It is YOUR decision, just as looking after my boat is mine.

Rather than spending most of my time cutting, grinding and welding, I prefer hanging out with the Grandchildren.

As I said earlier, I wont be having another steel boat.

I dont see the advantages that you do, after owning both GRP and steel boats.

I shall watch with interest how you get on on the other forum you have posted on....................................
    Last edited by rotrax; 25-02-19 at 00:11. Reason: additional material.

No, it is not, they are just mislead to believe it is.
    You are wrong. You have misled yourself to believe that everyone should have the same values and priorities as you. Most people want more out of life than you.

[QUOTE=Brent Swain;6713136]
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowlyButSurely View Post

Yes . For bigger jobs, the steel cutting circular saw blades work well ,with little chance of staring a fire.Either way, I'd keep the hose and an extringuisher handy.
    Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by bbg View Post
    You are wrong. You have misled yourself to believe that everyone should have the same values and priorities as you. Most people want more out of life than you.
    This is just daft. Who on earth is going to recommend ferro or wood as the best choice for livaboard cruising? Surely GRP would be the mainstream choice followed by steel for those who want the extra robustness.

Many people who have actually done some long term liveaboard cruising off the beaten track come to appreciate the benefits of steel. For the others GRP will suffice (until they hit an uncharted rock).

This is just daft. Who on earth is going to recommend ferro or wood as the best choice for livaboard cruising? Surely GRP would be the mainstream choice followed by steel for those who want the extra robustness.

Many people who have actually done some long term liveaboard cruising off the beaten track come to appreciate the benefits of steel. For the others GRP will suffice (until they hit an uncharted rock).
    I certainly wouldn't recommend wood or ferro, but there are undoubtedly some people for whom that would be their first choice. It doesn't mean they are right or wrong.
    My point is that there is no single "right" material. Different strokes for different folks.
    Brent doesn't seem to get that.

Even hitting a rock isn’t usually a problem with. decent GRP boat but I expect Brent will be along soon to claim otherwise.
    Semper aliud

Page 85 of 136 FirstFirst ... 3575808182838485868788899095135 ... LastLast