Page 86 of 136 FirstFirst ... 3676818283848586878889909196 ... LastLast
Results 851 to 860 of 1354

Thread: Steelboats

  1. #851
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    6,856

    Default Re: Steelboats

    Quote Originally Posted by john_morris_uk View Post
    Even hitting a rock isnít usually a problem with. decent GRP boat but I expect Brent will be along soon to claim otherwise.
    That is an amazing statement to make.

  2. #852
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    247

    Default Re: Steelboats

    Didn't I read about a GRP yacht that left its keel wedged into some rocks west of the Silly Isles. I believe the skipper was completely unaware and the boat sailed for several more trips until the fact was discovered.

    I don't suppose a concrete breakwater counts as hard enough, nor the video of the 36' GRP boat being sailed into it at hull speed counts for much either. Then there is the GRP yacht being repeatedly slammed into the stone breakwater in significant sea's until it was pulled off by a rescue boat on YT. It didn't sink, so that won't count.

    I seem to remember watching the YBW team try to hole some GRP boat for a flooding piece they were doing. The methods they had to resort to, in order to punch a hole in an ostensibly flimsy GRP boat showed just how ignorant very seasoned sailors can be regarding GRP.

    No boat is guaranteed immune to rocks, including steel.

  3. #853
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Solent
    Posts
    538

    Default Re: Steelboats

    Quote Originally Posted by Achosenman View Post
    Didn't I read about a GRP yacht that left its keel wedged into some rocks west of the Silly Isles. I believe the skipper was completely unaware and the boat sailed for several more trips until the fact was discovered.

    I don't suppose a concrete breakwater counts as hard enough, nor the video of the 36' GRP boat being sailed into it at hull speed counts for much either. Then there is the GRP yacht being repeatedly slammed into the stone breakwater in significant sea's until it was pulled off by a rescue boat on YT. It didn't sink, so that won't count.

    I seem to remember watching the YBW team try to hole some GRP boat for a flooding piece they were doing. The methods they had to resort to, in order to punch a hole in an ostensibly flimsy GRP boat showed just how ignorant very seasoned sailors can be regarding GRP.

    No boat is guaranteed immune to rocks, including steel.
    So you've never hit an uncharted rock then!

  4. #854
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    247

    Default Re: Steelboats

    Are uncharted rocks especially hard then?

  5. #855
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    South Oxfordshire, Gosport and Wellington New Zealand.
    Posts
    8,016

    Default Re: Steelboats

    Lets try and put this to bed.

    No other poster has challenged my statement that ANY well found yacht, made of any material, will serve for a full time cruising liveaboard. Probably because it is a correct and factual statement, and cannot be challenged fundamentally.

    Now, we come to the detail. BS insists that steel is the ONLY choice, and that GRP yachts are only fit for tying up in Marina's.

    If he lived on the same planet as the rest of us and left out "only" and said "best, in my opinion" and stopped his attacks on GRP yachts, this thread would have been lucky to have got past 10 pages.

    With the added benifit that he might have passed his excellent ideas on to prospective steel boat builders, owners and cruisers.
    I have stated several times that most of his ideas are good when it comes to building and preparing a home built steel boat for a long and trouble free life. His decades of experience can help steel boat owners.

    It is also clear that over the years he has been banned from most American boating sites. Which is why he is gracing these pages with his experiences.

    His life experiences are somewhat different to most of ours and it is clear that because most who post here chose a different path he feels he is superior to those who went to work and chose not to build a cheap steel boat and live on it.

    This does nothing to help his cause. This has been told to him many times on the American sites, but, like the Leopard, he cant change his spots!

    Where does this go from here?

    Lets wait and see.....................................

  6. #856
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,315

    Default Re: Steelboats

    Quote Originally Posted by rotrax View Post
    But Brent-this clearly shows your fundimental problem.

    I have NEVER bitched about the fairly small areas of corrosion on my steel Hartley. That is entirely down to your perception-you percieve any negative comment as an attack on steel boats, when, on this forum it has mostly been informed comment. Your attitude draws attacks, both on steel boats and you yourself.

    I was aware of these when I purchased the vessel. The boat now looks pretty good now I have sorted out the rusty window apertures, a couple of holes in the cockpit and the front hatch surround. All these problems date from its build, in 1986. Done your way, it would have been fine.

    It is a well equipped boat, liferaft, EPIRB, inflatable, outboard, cooker, fridge, microwave with oven and grill, shower and an electric toilet.

    But, its not worth a light.

    Fact.

    As it is not a long term situation, I have made a decision on how I shall manage the boat while it is in my ownership.

    Just as you manage the looking after and making bits for your boat. It is YOUR decision, just as looking after my boat is mine.

    Rather than spending most of my time cutting, grinding and welding, I prefer hanging out with the Grandchildren.

    As I said earlier, I wont be having another steel boat.

    I dont see the advantages that you do, after owning both GRP and steel boats.

    I shall watch with interest how you get on on the other forum you have posted on....................................
    Yes, it takes a lot of offshore cruising off the beaten path, to fully realize the benefits of steel.

  7. #857
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,315

    Default Re: Steelboats

    Quote Originally Posted by Achosenman View Post
    Didn't I read about a GRP yacht that left its keel wedged into some rocks west of the Silly Isles. I believe the skipper was completely unaware and the boat sailed for several more trips until the fact was discovered.

    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________________
    Hard to miss it ,when your ballast is gone. Who'd notice that?
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________________

    I don't suppose a concrete breakwater counts as hard enough, nor the video of the 36' GRP boat being sailed into it at hull speed counts for much either. Then there is the GRP yacht being repeatedly slammed into the stone breakwater in significant sea's until it was pulled off by a rescue boat on YT. It didn't sink, so that won't count.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________________
    The breakwater here has its share of sunken plastic boats which didn't last long.
    No pictures of the boat which was pulled off,out of the water, no indication of how much water she was taking on, nor the state of her rudder or keel. A brief encounter, with a small, light , empty boat?
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________________________________

    I seem to remember watching the YBW team try to hole some GRP boat for a flooding piece they were doing. The methods they had to resort to, in order to punch a hole in an ostensibly flimsy GRP boat showed just how ignorant very seasoned sailors can be regarding GRP.

    No boat is guaranteed immune to rocks, including steel.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________________
    Borrow or rent a steel pick axe, and use it on a plastic hull. Now make up a fibreglass pick axe and use it on steel hull, or a piece of 3/16th steel plate. No boat is immune to rocks, but steel is far, far closer to immune than plastic, as the above test will show .

  8. #858
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,315

    Default Re: Steelboats

    Quote Originally Posted by rotrax View Post
    Lets try and put this to bed.

    No other poster has challenged my statement that ANY well found yacht, made of any material, will serve for a full time cruising liveaboard. Probably because it is a correct and factual statement, and cannot be challenged fundamentally.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________
    Nor have I . Yet another straw man argument. I have just stated that steel has some serious advantages, which you have distorted into the above straw man argument.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________

    Now, we come to the detail. BS insists that steel is the ONLY choice, and that GRP yachts are only fit for tying up in Marina's.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________
    Your words, not mine .Yet another straw man argument, distorted yet again . GRP boats are fine, steel is much better ,for full time, off the beaten path use affordable home building, the one off, etc etc.. Now watch him distort this one, so he will have something to argue against.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____

    If he lived on the same planet as the rest of us and left out "only" and said "best, in my opinion" and stopped his attacks on GRP yachts, this thread would have been lucky to have got past 10 pages.

    With the added benifit that he might have passed his excellent ideas on to prospective steel boat builders, owners and cruisers.
    I have stated several times that most of his ideas are good when it comes to building and preparing a home built steel boat for a long and trouble free life. His decades of experience can help steel boat owners.

    It is also clear that over the years he has been banned from most American boating sites. Which is why he is gracing these pages with his experiences.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________________________________
    Sites which get their revenue from those selling $10 K watermakers , who don't want people to know how to build one for less than 1/10th that cost, ditto furlers , anchor winches , windvanes ,etc etc.
    Sites where they claim plastic thru hulls are stronger than stainless, high aspect twin keels, with a foot of attachment to a plastic hull, are stronger than steel ones, with 8 feet of welded attachment to the hull, etc etc, bubbles of idiocy . That is as dense as saying plastic is stronger than steel!
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________________________________

    His life experiences are somewhat different to most of ours and it is clear that because most who post here chose a different path he feels he is superior to those who went to work and chose not to build a cheap steel boat and live on it.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    Your words, not mine. Another straw man argument. I have just offered an alternative.

    This does nothing to help his cause. This has been told to him many times on the American sites, but, like the Leopard, he cant change his spots!

    Where does this go from here?

    Lets wait and see.....................................

  9. #859
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Farnham, Surrey
    Posts
    21,157

    Default Re: Steelboats

    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________________
    Borrow or rent a steel pick axe, and use it on a plastic hull. Now make up a fibreglass pick axe and use it on steel hull, or a piece of 3/16th steel plate. No boat is immune to rocks, but steel is far, far closer to immune than plastic, as the above test will show .
    That’s not a fair test.

    How about steel pick axe on GRP followed by steel pick axe on steel?

    GRP owners will be pleasantly surprised by just how difficult it is to puncture a GRP hull.

    Steel boat owners of mature craft will be worried about where the pick lands.
    Semper aliud

  10. #860
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    6,856

    Default Re: Steelboats

    There's a thread just started an hour ago on PBO about a boat sinking after hitting a rock. I don't know what material she was made of, but I can guess.

Page 86 of 136 FirstFirst ... 3676818283848586878889909196 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to